UK: The Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson years - problematic + infected + broke the law + electoral poison + sneks + not very good + OVER (funny)

This from Rees-Mogg today, hours after Jonathan Van Tam quit. So the strategy from here, it appears, is to claim lockdown rules were in fact *too* restrictive all along and blame the medical experts for misleading the Tory party, who of course were only acting in good faith the whole time.

Everybody understands, on all sides of the house, that people were obeying the rules and that these rules were very hard for people to obey. I received a message last night was from a friend of mine who was unable to go to the funeral of his two-year-old granddaughter. One cannot hear these stories without grieving for people who suffered. Decisions were taken at the beginning of the pandemic that affected people up and down the country and they were very hard.

And we must consider, as this goes to an inquiry and we look into what happened with Covid, whether all those regulations were proportionate, or whether it was too hard on people.

They will try and scapegoat the medics and it makes me incredibly sad and angry - perhaps more than anything else we've heard to date (and that's saying something).

It is the job of medical professionals to be cautious. Treatment/management of any condition is done by differential diagnosis, working backwards to rule out the worst-case scenario. Is it perfect? Not always. Is it frustrating for patients? Sometimes. Many of the tests and precautions will usually turn out to have been unnecessary, but fundamentally that's how you keep people alive and make sure their headache is just a headache and not a brain aneurysm.

This from Rees-Mogg today, hours after Jonathan Van Tam quit. So the strategy from here, it appears, is to claim lockdown rules were in fact *too* restrictive all along and blame the medical experts for misleading the Tory party, who of course were only acting in good faith the whole time.
So he’s prepared to retrospectively criticise the rules to get Johnson off the hook? He thinks telling people ‘we made you suffer needlessly which is why it’s only fair Johnson broke the rules’ is actually going to fucking help?

I utterly loathe Rees-Mogg, just the mention of his name makes me angry. There’s no lower life-form in parliament than that washed-out cumsock of a man.

I'll never be able to get this image out of my head. Entitled is too kind a word. Dickens would have had a field day with this scumbag.

bbce50e0-ce8a-11e9-aae5-127e03d941aa

He was the first person who came to mind when I read this Tweet this morning, though in fairness you could take your pick. Knowing a bit of Latin does not preclude you from being as thick as two short planks.

He doesn't know the leader of the Welsh Conservatives - MESS.

Yes, surely this can't be the line they go with - they'll have misjudged the public mood TERRIBLY if they do. They're probably sending JRM out there as a trial balloon to see what the reaction's like.

They're probably sending JRM out there as a trial balloon to see what the reaction's like.

Yeah, this tracks. He's already regarded by those who love him as "eccentric" and by those who don't as "an unfeeling, emotionally stunted, upper-class wanker". He's therefore easy to dismiss and wave aside when the need arises.

Sweepstake on whether this will last as long as the princely ten months Change UK limped on for?

Yes, she should have joined the Lib Dems (the LDs are clearly better off, electorally at least, on the centre / v soft centre right), which is clearly where she also is. There is a huge number of votes up for grabs on that part of the spectrum (particularly in the remain voting South East and some other traditional Tory seats) and she would have been an asset. Good luck to her either way.

Yes, she should have joined the Lib Dems (the LDs are clearly better off, electorally at least, on the centre / v soft centre right), which is clearly where she also is. There is a huge number of votes up for grabs on that part of the spectrum (particularly in the remain voting South East and some other traditional Tory seats) and she would have been an asset. Good luck to her either way.
And swathes of the South West, outside our Fine Red Cities

What a coincidence that Ian Duncan Smith revealed a MI5 alert was issued about a Chinese agent infiltrating Parliament. And who just happens to have been a big donor to Labour’s Barry Gardiner.

Nothing like trying to divert attention.

What a coincidence that Ian Duncan Smith revealed a MI5 alert was issued about a Chinese agent infiltrating Parliament. And who just happens to have been a big donor to Labour’s Barry Gardiner.

Nothing like trying to divert attention.
I was just about to post that.

Quick! Let's get the public to focus on those awful Chinese commie spies! They gave us CORONA ANYWAY!!!1!!!!!!!!

Anything that ties all this to the Queen having her lonesome funeral really is DEVASTATING, it's such a powerful image that's really stuck with the public through this whole thing. Surely he can't hang on much longer.

I think it's getting to that tipping point now where the Tory press know he's fucked beyond salvation and that they need another leader to prevent a general election loss which terrifies them most of all.

What's the Express front page tomorrow?

Yesterday Douglas Ross stated that Johnson couldn't rule out that there wouldn't be more revelations to come when they spoke.

I'd love to know what all those Cabinet Ministers are thinking after spending the day trying to spin his non-apology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom