UK: The Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson years - problematic + infected + broke the law + electoral poison + sneks + not very good + OVER (funny)

The vaccine rollout entirely orchestrated by the NHS, and therefore successful.

The only meaningful part the government contributed to in that was purchasing them in the first place, and any shit-for-brains can realise that is an important thing to consider.

The only meaningful part the government contributed to in that was purchasing them in the first place, and any shit-for-brains can realise that is an important thing to consider.
And it seems even that only went well accidentally, since they had no choice being unable to join the European Medicine's agency scheme which they almost certainly would have done if we were still in the EU/single market.

Yeah I’ve never thanked the government for the vaccine rollout. The government make decisions, they’re not project directors, managing the supply chain and distribution process. As indie said their part was easy in that bit.

Their role will be remembered as not wanting to do anything that might impact their popularity or polling, even though thousands of lives were on the line.

"Immunity" or to put it another way "Carte Blanche".

(I've used the French in case she reads this because that will really annoy her)

the government laid out their net-zero climate strategy and funding allocations today (a mixed bag, more on that in a sec), but it seems that, in what amounts to a power play between he and Boris, Rishi and the Treasure are cockblocking the release of the necessary funds to do anything big.

Rishi is apparently happy to play to the climate sceptics within the party, which is obviously terrible timing because Cop26 is two weeks away and we can't hope to a wrestle ambitious spending and net-zero pledges from other countries if we're not financing ambitious measures ourselves.

Rishi has not co-signed, and Boris has said "I can deploy billions - with the approval of the chancellor." *insert shrug emoji*

the roadmap itself has been criticised as underfunded at $90bn investment over 10 years, although it does meet some of the suggestions of the independent Committee on Climate Change. measures include:

-- creation of 440,000 green jobs
-- electric car customer grants
-- expanding offshore wind + electric car charging network
-- grants for low-carbob heat pumps in homes and a 450m 3-yr boiler upgrade scheme
-- investment in low-carbon hydrogen
-- woodland and peat restoration scheme
-- nothing at all on red meat consumption

overall it seems the Treasury has played hardball and that's why the measures are so tame.

The most annoying thing, although nobody on either side of the aisle should ever take this approach, is that no matter whether we spend 90bn or 190bn on it, it won’t do a single thing to stop the irreversible damage that the US, India and Brazil are currently doing, and in turn their combined damage is an absolute drop in the ocean compared to the impact of China.

I suppose you have to start somewhere :bruised:

The most annoying thing, although nobody on either side of the aisle should ever take this approach, is that no matter whether we spend 90bn or 190bn on it, it won’t do a single thing to stop the irreversible damage that the US, India and Brazil are currently doing, and in turn their combined damage is an absolute drop in the ocean compared to the impact of China.

I suppose you have to start somewhere :bruised:
But it’s still worth living sustainably whether it has a big impact or not.

I had a thought earlier that the Tories keep attention on the environment, so that people vote Green, stealing votes from Labour.

I honestly think they're cynical enough.

I think Boris is looking for things to define his legacy. He’s all about the PR. He can put all the effort it into it he wants, he’ll still always be the pandemic PM. But If it means we get something done on climate I’ll take it.

Sunak really is consistently THE WORST on just about every metric, and nobody ever notices because he's SMILEY and wears nice suits

I think Boris is looking for things to define his legacy. He’s all about the PR. He can put all the effort it into it he wants, he’ll still always be the pandemic PM. But If it means we get something done on climate I’ll take it.
same, tbh. loathe to credit Boris for anything, obv, but I won't sit here and call him a cunt in an environmental context if he can actually push something beneficial through, even if it's a cynical ploy at rewriting his legacy as pm.

but Sunak is clearly gearing up to an attempt to become PM and if this is his green stance then clearly he's more dangerous still than BoJo.

#StoolBrittania trending on Twitter after Tories voted against asking private water companies not to pump UNTREATED HUMAN WASTE into rivers and coastal waters.

• Wow
Reactions: COB
It’s fucking disgusting. As a sea swimmer, you kinda know not to go into the sea the day after heavy rain. A fortnight ago, the seafront literally stank of shit and loads of wet wipes and tampons washed up. It was the worst I’ve seen in my experience.

And the Portsmouth North Tory, Penny Mordaunt, ignored her constituents wishes entirely and voted with the party. It feels like public feeling against her is massive on this one.

Last edited:
Incredible. I expect most people who don’t live near the water or regularly use it would be surprised it was even still possible to dump sewage in this way, let alone still needing to be outlawed.

The list of MPs who followed the government included many who represent coastal seats which just leaves me incredulous.

The arrogance of an 80-seat majority, innit?

There’s a heartbreaking piece in The Guardian today about Burnley that’s got me angry all over again that Labour fucked up so badly in 2019 that they LOST BURNLEY to a former banker named ANTONY HIGGENBOTTOM. I mean Jesus Christ…

Last edited:
I also appreciate this isn’t something the EU has banned either (otherwise we already wouldn’t be doing it in the UK) but what an opportunity to lead from the front this was and show, you know, a positive aspect of Brexit. And all the more important in an island state.

So rates on beer and sparkling wine are being CUT.

Is their gesture to the working class Tory voters.

Easily confused. Any north Manchester town beginning with B is pretty much the same aka Burnley, Bury, Bolton, Blackburn.

I hate him, but it seems like he at least wasn’t a total fuckup today too. God I was even on that idiot Truss’ side when there was the “yeah but everyone’s flying to the environmental conference” question - I really hate that. They’re world leaders, are they going to take a rickshaw?

Anyway DOWN WITH TORIES - just in case anyone gets it twisted

There was a grim irony to all these delegates who had to get flights yesterday because the trains were off due to an unseasonal storm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom