The Weeknd - Dawn FM

OutSynk

Light me up put me on top
Looks like he’s finally gonna give me that album I’ve always wanted.:cry:
The one and only moment when The Weeknd appeared in the studio was right before Abel played me a few new songs from his upcoming album. He turned around, grinned, and asked, “Ready?”

It wasn’t prompted by genuine concern that maybe I needed to grab a notebook or a bottle of water. Concern is Abel stuff. This “Ready?” was condescending. Knowing. It had a certain arrogance someone could only conjure with 100 per cent certainty that I was indeed not ready. And he was right.

The music hit the studio like a freight train. The new project is packed with party records. Like real-deal, illuminated-white-tiles-on-the-floor party records. Quincy Jones meets Giorgio Moroder meets the-best-night-of-your-fucking-life party records. Not anachronistic disco stuff. (Not “cosplay”, as Abel put it.) That sort of retro thing is having a moment right now in pop music, but these records are new. Sweaty. Hard. Drenched-suit, grinding-on-the-girl/boy-of-your-dreams party records.

“It’s the album I’ve always wanted to make,” Abel said. That statement would linger in my brain for days. As did the music. It became nearly impossible to find something else to listen to. Everything else sounded soft. Or didn’t groove enough. Or felt too happy. Or too sad. It was clear to me that this isn’t just the album The Weeknd has always wanted to make; it’s the album we’ve always wanted him to make.

The project wasn’t quite finished yet, but if he stays the course it’ll be the best project he’s ever put out. This, whatever it’ll be called—following ‘After Hours,’ following ‘Starboy,’ following ‘Beauty Behind the Madness’—will cement one of the most impressive choke holds on the radio we’ve ever seen.

funky

User
He pretty much owns synth pop at this point. It’s hard for others, especially R&B artists, to embrace that sound because it’s now just “The Weeknd sound”.

I still don’t think he’s doing anything that innovative, but he’s doing it all very well and I’ll take this a thousand times over trap crap.

Pipo

Welcome to Chromatica (Wigs not allowed)
He pretty much owns synth pop at this point. It’s hard for others, especially R&B artists, to embrace that sound because it’s now just “The Weeknd sound”.

I still don’t think he’s doing anything that innovative, but he’s doing it all very well and I’ll take this a thousand times over trap crap.

that didn't stop the ultimate pop music THIEF Ed cunting Sheeran!

FetchFugly

closing in again
That intro :disco:

The first chorus seemed a little lighter than I was expecting at first but it is still really good.

RJN

User
I'm a bit conflicted on first listen. I like the SOUND of it, and also I think the chorus is a grower, but its not that immediate. If I had to guess now, I think I'll end up loving it, and it will be a big hit, but not massive.

Don't worry @funky, not trap at all

Pipo

I think the instrumental sounded better :confused: I think the way his voice was mixed drowns the production which sounded amazing on those Olympic teaser clips.

Devil

I Need A House
Yeah this slaps, the synths in the chorus and middle 8 are amazing.

He says ‘heat between your thighs’ or something though, nearly identical to I Feel It Coming, which for some reason just makes me cringe! Surely there’s a slightly different way to say someone is horny that just sounds a bit less...weird.

RJN

User
After a day, I love this, especially the part about 2:30 in, with the oohs. And the chorus really sounds big after a few listens

Jark

gave ur love away
so, after two pushbacks, his After Hours arena tour for '22 has become... the After Hours 'til Dawn STADIUM TOUR.

new dates. original tickets not valid. :D if I'd had tickets for that i'd be fucking seething right now. what a shit, money grab move.

Pipo

:D I hope he gets CANCELLED, what a DICK move!

POP!

Behind the velvet rope.
That is odd, why not just tack on some stadium dates/an extra leg in the bigger cities?

Pipo

That is odd, why not just tack on some stadium dates/an extra leg in the bigger cities?

or at least get a discount if you already had a ticket since 2019! I don't know, there are endless possibilities his PR team can come up with instead of forcing the fans to buy another ticket :D

POP!

Behind the velvet rope.
Two new collabs - I don't think they will be featured on The Weeknd's new album though.

POP!

Behind the velvet rope.
Apparently "Circles" is the 19th biggest song of all time on the US Hot 100 :zsazsa:

POP!

Behind the velvet rope.
Post Malone top five (yes I know it's a Weeknd thread but he is Weeknd adjacent)

1. Circles
2. Better Now
3. Sunflower
4. Psycho
5. Rockstar

The fact that "Rockstar" and "Sunflower" have TWO BILLION PLUS streams on Spotify is mind boggling to me. Literally one third of the human population having bopped to two singles by POST MALONE :D

Post_Malone_at_the_2019_American_Music_Awards.png

Pipo

There should be a separate appreciation thread for the king of white rap/hip hop pop chanteuse POST MALONE. He really does know a catchy chorus when a song needs one and he stays, surprisingly, un-canceled (in 2021 to boot!) not an easy feat!

POP!

Behind the velvet rope.
He is apparently planning for a surprise release. Fans are expecting it within the next few weeks. He posted this on instagram:

Jark

gave ur love away
that may be a better strategy since the first single didn't do much and he's so oversaturated atm.

POP!

Behind the velvet rope.
Yeah I see him possibly pulling an Ed Sheeran if he does a traditional rollout. It's been two years since After Hours yet it feels like it's been about five minutes. Probably because "Blinding Lights" has never left the chart. Just drop the whole thing with no competition in January and I'm sure he will break some streaming records.

Pipo

it's insulting how One Right Now wasn't #1 for MONTHS :evil:

POP!

Behind the velvet rope.
So something is coming tomorrow? on a monday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom