The Wheel of Time

I for one enjoyed this. Season 2 is coming out in September. I don't know why everything that comes out of this genre HAS to be compared with Game of Thrones. There's more than one way to do a good job. It seems that the biggest thing these shows struggle with is how to strike a balance between sentiment and grit. Much of the reason why ancient/medieval settings work well with fantasy is because it adds a layer of grit to offset the fantastical stuff. And I think this got it mostly right, certainly much better than Rings of Power and The Witcher in my opinion.

Rosamund Pike is definitely the jewel in the crown. Both her acting AND storyline are the best in the show. I love how she can have the COLDEST face and still somehow radiate emotion and drama.

Actually, the acting is fairly strong all around, but I do agree that the kids' stories are boring. There are just too many of them :D The tower politics is clearly the best storyline. The scene with that RED AJAH bitch was hilarious. She served drama the house down boots.

It's definitely got some stuff to work on though. Excited for Season 2.

Season 2 starts on Friday :disco: it does seem like they got more money (or it could be just the trailer)

Rosamund Pike must be DELIGHTED that the strike means she gets to cash her pay cheque without having to go out to bat for this floater of a show on the publicity rounds again. WELL PLAYED HUN

She’s quite into it. She’s doing the audiobooks as well.

Someone keep me updated on how this is. I enjoyed the first season but it’s one of those shows that I’m happy to abandon if it goes tits up in season 2

There were glimmers of potential in this but I’m going to need more depth and oomph to stick with it.

I am as always biased but I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes. Felt like they took there time and understood that they need to focus on the Aes Sedai.

Kate Fleetwood as Liandrin and Nynaeve were the MVPs. Also much bigger effect budget.

I love that Moiraine’s idea of keeping a low profile is this

1694453580367.jpeg

I am up to date now and the second season is much better than the first. The budget is up, the stories are there and the young ones aren't as irritating.

I’m 2 eps in and sticking with it but I’m not hooked and it’s largely just because I don’t like the young ones. They look like they come from the same drama school as all the young soap stars - pretty, vacuous and with the same 3 facial expressions. The only one with an edge was the guy who got replaced. Considering it’s meant to be medieval fantasy it throws me right out. I hope they do indeed get better.

The wolf kid's story gets better in Season 2 in my opinion.

The main boy still has the worst acting from the show. He always seems so DUMB.

LOVE the scenes with Moiraine and her sister.

I don’t mind the wolf kid. It’s the two girls mostly, and the pretty fella. I just don’t believe anything they say.

I think Egwene is the weakest of the five young leads but it feels she features much less this season.

Loving Lindsay Duncan and her big gay son.

I like the girls, the addition of Elayne this season was very smooth and for a character I don’t like in the books she’s very good.

I feel like Nynaeve has gotten the best work which tracks with the books where she’s very much the best character early on and they’re really buffing up Liandrin into a strong antagonist.

Rand is bland but he’s always been bland, the chosen one blah blah

Perrin is my least favorite storyline at the moment but the addition of Aviendha should help.

Verin is one of the best characters and I’m glad they chose a great actress for her.

The Ishamael and Lanfear dream discussion in episode 5 was :disco:

OK despite my complaints about her Egwene did a very good job with the damane stuff this week.

Only two episodes left.

Episode 6 was the best of the series. The actress they got to play Ryma (the yellow Aes Sedai was great for such a small role and I love that they made her fight by attacking the body since she’s a healer).

They went really hard on Egwene with the make up, the bloody eyes were disturbing.

Also yay for the return of Sophie Okenedo and that crown of swords she created was bad ass. Also almost everyone is in one of two places so next week is gonna be :disco:

Yes the bloody eyes were suitably grim. I really liked Ryma too.

Lanfear is very fabulous, I hope her presence continues past this season.

Episode 7 was so good. I can't get enough of Rosamund as Moraine and she had a lot of scenes in this episode. Serving drama all the way through.

And so it ends for now :( I guess 2 more years for season 3

I loved their Moghedien being a cross between a French Au pair and Bjork. That scene really made me happy.

Well I've really struggled with season 2. The first four episodes were such a slog, way too much time with the kids setting up their next adventures and the off and on relationship with Moraine and her ward, it was a chore to sit through. But something flipped on episode 5, everything just suddenly clicked - the reveal of Lanfear, the reveal of the red Sedai, the return of Siuan, Verin heading to the White Tower to play detective, the development of the different tribes working for Ishamael and the complexities of all the servants of the Dark, Mat having some purpose with the fabulous El and of course Moiraine being a cold heartless bitch back at the family home. The main girls are bothering me less as they're mixing it up with more talented actors and the girl who plays the heir and one of their friends is actually good.

Episode 6 has actually been gripping so I'm hoping for a strong finish.

I really enjoyed the second season, critically it was better received than the first as well. I think I read this week they wrapped on the third season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom