Thunderbugs - Friends Forever (1999)

Cuz we'll be you'll see

Results are only viewable after voting.

straightorbroken

rebel heart

Was the album really only released on the mini disc format? I loved my mini disc player, but never even thought to look for albums this way as I simply loved recording songs onto them (and although not ideal, I could record off the TV - usually MTV2 and Dance).

Anyway, back to the wet dream of Lisa Loeb. The singer of course is now a famous weather forecaster in Scotland and the rest now play for Hepburn on the 90s burned out pop stars circuit.

Lyrically it's not a very interesting friendship, but the main hook of "we'll be, you'll see" is undeniable and sung with aplomb. Things did almost appear to get very serious for these friends when the original lyric "I know that he's been hitting you" had to be changed after Jo Whiley locked herself in the bathroom upon hearing it for the first time.

Nice man bum though.

The drummer looks like Dorinda :o

Real Housewives Of New York Lies GIF by Bravo TV

I always mentally associate them with this pileup of shock flops from Christmas 1999.

View attachment 11420
I remember this so well! It was so rare for the Top 40 to talk about anything outside of it, so it was like a real sneak peek into a forgotten land. It was so exciting to 10 year old me.

Lou Bega was among them as well with his Mambo #5 follow up flop.

The two Thunderbugs singles SLAP btw. They're nothing special and they got lost in the glut of girlbands trying to fill the Spice Girls/All Saints hole (which really DIDN'T need filling at the turn of the Millenium as pop had moved on), but they're still fine for the occasional 2022 play. Not top of my nostalgia list, but there in a track-15-cd-2-on-a-Now-Compilation kinda of way.

I got a promo copy of the full album years ago, as I recall it says “Whitfield Street Mastering Studios” on it. I always preferred the second single “It’s About Time You Were Mine” (over the first). The third (ultimately cancelled) single was supposed to be a cover of “Angel Of The Morning” (which was my favourite track on the album) and though that song has been covered by many artists over the years (some more famously than others), the Thunderbugs arrangement/ mix remains my favourite version.

Oh that is lovely. I was thinking I hadn't heard it before, until the chorus of course. I think on their version the verses are where it shines strongest.

I BLOODY LOVED IT. It’s one of those songs that automatically transfers me back to ‘99, released just after I came back from touring around America with friends before life got “serious”. Such fabulous carefree times. I can turn it on, close my eyes and I am back there.

That early December 1999 chart pile up!

The follow up by Marvin and Tamara almost had the same indignity but went 44 - 44 - 38 - 49

I used to get told I looked like the glasses one, these being the days before EVERYONE had nerd glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom