Tom Aspaul - Black Country Disco

Jark

User
Criminally underrated not-so-big pop boy from the West Midlands finally releasing his debut album later this year :o featuring the AMAZING singles Traces, WM and Tender

He's just a really reliably good songwriter with a lovely voice and I'm quite glad he's getting an album out (although it seems a bit SHORT to really be considered an album, but hey ho, it's 2020) despite being so under the radar.

1. Black Country Intro
2. Close 2 Me
3. Carnelian
4. Tender
5. Traces
6. Euston
7. W.M.
8. Dead Already (Save Yourself)
9. 01902
10. Black Country Disco

Only 4 new full-length songs to come by the looks of it but whatevs! I'm STILL shook by the Victoria Beckham double-ref in W.M. but to be honest Traces is his greatest song ever. It just bops along with the most infectious energy.

Any takers? @funky @Pipo @monsta @FetchFugly @SDF

I remember reading about him a while ago (in Denden's Facebook reincarnation, don't @ me!) because of the VB reference and didn't properly pay attention, but if Jark likes it then surely another listen is due.

Traces is a bit too poppy for me but W.M. sounds good. A bit Sam Sparro. I shall investigate!

Im so tempted by the coloured vinyl :disco:

I have already ordered. :disco:

Buy it, he needs to get to his 200 copy target.

W.M. is marvellous but Close 2 Me is still my favourite of the singles. It is so darn catchy.

I love the full on disco of the new song.

The bits he has been putting on his Instagram with background about all the songs on the album are really interesting.

it really is marvellous isn't it? :disco: his first self-written and produced track too.

album out TODAY, for some reason

(although at 28 minutes, calling it an album is pushing it :eyes:)

all of the singles have been so on-point - Traces, W.M. and Tender are one hell of a triple punch. He said he'll be looking to self-produce (as on the last 2 tracks) more going forwards.

The three new songs are nice on first listen, though not better than the singles. It all flows together very well even if another song or two would be welcome (or even if he'd kept back one of the ones released in advance it would feel like there was a bit more to discover).

Just listening now.

He follows me on Twitter, shall I ask him to bring the podcast back?

Video for The Program, which is definitely up there with my favourites from the album:

Roscoe from It's a Sin credited as director/on camera.

FROM THE FORTHCOMING REMIX ALBUM "BLACK COUNTRY DISCOTHÈQUE" featuring MNEK, INITIAL TALK, BRIGHT LIGHT BRIGHT LIGHT, BRONZE AVERY, BRENDAN MACLEAN, MICHAEL MEDRANO, FOXGLUVV and MANY, MANY MORE!

Not sure I am up for another vinyl but if he releases on CD I'll bite. The Program was such a fave, though I wasn't sold on the new version of Tender.

MNEK remix of Traces from the remix album. nothing touches the original, but quite good!

(WHAT is going on with that artwork? :D gay matador coverlandia realness...)

Yes the artwork is certainly a bold choice, see also that for his live shows:

Vinyl but no CD for this one.

Dame Kim's guest turn on the remix of W.M. is a treat:

He does seem to have re-recorded some/a lot of the vocals for the remixes. I have to say I preferred the original takes - the new ones are a bit excessively warbly in places. The Program is still an 11/10 though.

Last edited:
So we’ve just been upgraded to the bigger room in the venue that we run Obsession from :o

We’ve put a few more tickets on sale but we’re more mindful of some of the scenes from the clubs the past few days just so we want folk to have plenty of room to dance and feel comfortable.

It’s all a bit wild!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom