Tori Amos - Christmastide (new EP) - 4 December

Oh my. That's the rockiest backing she's had since American Doll Posse.

I like it on first listen. Her vocals are a bit quiet in the mix. Needs more listens!

I pre-ordered the signed vinyl because my inner Tori loon panicked and wouldn't allow me NOT TO.

I'm almost scared to listen to the music in case I HATE IT! :D

Just caress and look at the cover to be on the safe side :)

The song isn't that bad tbh, although it's also not even slightly festive AT ALL :D

It's a bit old maiden 70s soft rock isn't it?
I was kind of hoping for something closer to a festive classic I will wheel out each year, Tori does One More Sleep IF YOU WILL - but I will take this on account of it not being a TOTAL DISASTER, which is of course a small mercy when it comes to latter day Tori :)

Last edited:
Sounds pleasant enough, but I'm not getting any Christmas vibes either.
I put on Midwinter Graces the other night to be extra festive when I did the dishes, but I got sick of it quickly :(
The only songs I still like are Winter's Carol (still beautiful in a Kate Bush kind of way) and Our New Year (when you're feeling suicidal on January 01 and fancy a bit of BANSHEE gloom).

On. first listen, this is actually PRETTY GOOD? Circle Of Seasons and Holly in particular sound quite CLASSIC TORI.

Perhaps super-focused EPs are they way for her to go now.
LORD KNOWS Unrepentant Geraldines could have done with shaving a few more songs off (Giants Rolling Pin and Maids of Elfen-Mere spring to mind :eyes:) to make it tighter and more focused.

Completely unrelated, but I've rediscovered Siren recently. I wish she'd banged it on an album (Choirgirl?), as it's SO GOOD but I completely forget it exists most of the time :D Thankfully it made it to Spotify.

On. first listen, this is actually PRETTY GOOD? Circle Of Seasons and Holly in particular sound quite CLASSIC TORI.

Perhaps super-focused EPs are they way for her to go now.
LORD KNOWS Unrepentant Geraldines could have done with shaving a few more songs off (Giants Rolling Pin and Maids of Elfen-Mere spring to mind :eyes:) to make it tighter and more focused.

Completely unrelated, but I've rediscovered Siren recently. I wish she'd banged it on an album (Choirgirl?), as it's SO GOOD but I completely forget it exists most of the time :D Thankfully it made it to Spotify.

Yes, Siren is amazing! I also keep forgetting about it, and I honestly can't remember when it's used in Cruel Intentions although I've seen that film a dozen times?

Yes, Siren is amazing! I also keep forgetting about it, and I honestly can't remember when it's used in Cruel Intentions although I've seen that film a dozen times?

It may be one of my favourite EVER Tori songs. The 7 min+ live version is amazing too. I might have to controversially add it to my Spotify Choirgirl playlist, as it fits TONALLY and it will mean I don't keep forgetting it! :D

Also obsessed with this Tori does Enya AMBIENT MOMENT :disco:

This is quite good I think but still all a tad mannered and polite. I think these songs have room in them for her to go for it a little more in the overall sound. Of course that’s not her path at the moment.

Fucking Tash gets dragged out in the first song. I accept I’m at a point where anything she does on a Tori record will instantly annoy but she really is nothing more than the little girl who sings just about in tune at a birthday party.

Last edited:
I don't OWN a physical copy of Midwinter Graces, so I've never really seen the photoshoot before. FOR SOME REASON I'm finding it rather amusing :D

36001e04d0aa74f38463f9986b066a7f.jpg

0703a3b90585c03113dfbbe2f4434e14.jpg

Tori-Amos.jpg

Just add a few wolves howling at the moon and you could slap them all on a TIE DYE t-shirt :disco:

I don't OWN a physical copy of Midwinter Graces, so I've never really seen the photoshoot before. FOR SOME REASON I'm finding it rather amusing :D

36001e04d0aa74f38463f9986b066a7f.jpg

0703a3b90585c03113dfbbe2f4434e14.jpg

Tori-Amos.jpg

Just add a few wolves howling at the moon and you could slap them all on a TIE DYE t-shirt :disco:

I like the second one. Looks like Nicola Roberts’ mum wondering whether she left the oven on :disco:

So having my year Tori LOON PHASE at the moment. They normally last a couple of weeks before I settle back into to TOTAL DISINTEREST for the rest of the year. :D

I discovered last night she has a burner Twitter account where she posts as HER OWN WIG (!). Quite bizarre, but I think I'm into it

Secondly, her merch store is full of NO ENDS OF ABSOLUTE TAT! :D At least Björk's merch is generally pretty decent.
http://www.toriamosstore.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

The Christmastide merch in particular BAFFLES ME - who on earth is going to buy THREE different Christmastide t-shirts and two variants on the same ugly bobble hat??
Surely she can't shift more than 200 of each, and I think even THAT NUMBER is pushing it somewhat.

Reactions: Zu
I’ve become disillusioned by the amount of wig, weave and extensions reveals I’ve come to realise over the last couple of years. I thought they all had beautiful hair.

You’d be surprised what her fans will buy. I bought one T-shirt as I “need” a new Xmas tee this year. My mum’s house is bloody roasting and my Xmas wear repertoire is limited.

I've also been trying to give Abnormally Attracted To Sin a listen, as I have absolutely NO RECOLLECTION of it being released, and subsequent campaign AT ALL. I pretty much checked out at The Beekeeper and didn't tap back in until Night Of Hunters (of which I love the drama of Star Whisperer, but find a slog to listen to the whole thing).

ANYWAY - WHY did she not follow through with the Tori does Portishead-lite vibe of Give and slightly less so in Flavor & the title track? Give is a genuinely fantastic latter-day Tori track, and her voice sounds amazing on the chorus. A whole album in that vibe could have been really quite special. The weird soft rock stuff that makes up most of the album does NOTHING for me, Vienna.

Anyway, Give = GREAT :disco:

She lost me after American Doll Posse. I didn't bother with anything post-that.

Remarkable that there's been SIX ALBUMS since then.

Reactions: Zu
I bought one T-shirt as I “need” a new Xmas tee this year. My mum’s house is bloody roasting and my Xmas wear repertoire is limited.

Sorry, I hope my post re the Christmastide merch didn't come across as a personal AFFRONT :D

I understand the ones with the artwork on, but this one I found CONFUSING
TA_Christmastide_CobaltL.png

(Please don't be the one you BOUGHT :D )

SAME

I’ve only heard Midwinter Graces because my sister insists on playing it at Christmas. Still, better that than Joanna Newsom which I had to ask her to TURN OFF :)

Remarkable that there's been SIX ALBUMS since then.

There has been some GOOD TRACKS! But Native Invader is probably the closest we've got to a decent ALBUM.

I'd say from later day Tori:
Reindeer King
Forest of Glass
Oysters
Selkie
Give
Bang
Star Whisperer

and Bouncing Off Clouds if we are talking ADP have all been great tracks.
Reindeer King and Forest Of Glass in particular are up there with CLASSIC TORI for me.

Admittedly not a HUGE HIT RATE considering the amount of material released :D

There has been some GOOD TRACKS! But Native Invader is probably the closest we've got to a decent ALBUM.

I'd say from later day Tori:
Reindeer King
Forest of Glass
Oysters
Selkie
Give
Bang
Star Whisperer

and Bouncing Off Clouds if we are talking ADP have all been great tracks.

Admittedly not a HUGE HIT RATE considering the amount of material released :D

Native Invader is the biggest winner for me post-2007

I’ve bought everything she’s done and listened and enjoyed everything less and less since Scarlet’s Walk. You really could cover what you need to hear on a 15 track playlist for everything from The Beekeeper onwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom