Tori Amos - Ocean To Ocean

Chart update for those of you interested:

The QUEEN OF POP Tori Amos returns to the internet gay charts with 'Spies', No. 3 with a bullet on the internet gay club dance/play chart, while on the mainstream internet gay pop chart she moves in with 'Metal Water Wood' at No. 13 and 'Devil's Bane' at 27. Meanwhile, 'Speaking With Trees' holds steady for a second week at No. 1 extending the Queen of Pop's reign this year.

:D

I love this post SO MUCH :D

1. Boys For Pele
2. from the choirgirl hotel
3. Scarlet's Walk
4. Little Earthquakes
5. Under The Pink
6. To Venus And Back

7. Ocean To Ocean
8. Native Invader
9. The Beekeeper
10. American Doll Posse

11. Unrepentant Geraldines
12. Abnormally Attracted To Sin
(Y Kant Tori Read)
13. Strange Little Girls

14. Midwinter Graces
15. Night Of Hunters
16. Gold Dust

To Venus And Back is so underrated. I feel it just gets mostly forgotten as Scarlet's Walk feels canonically more like Tori's "fifth" studio album.
It may even be my Autumnal Tori album of choice :shock: What's YOUR Tori Autumn album girls?

And a RANKETTE because why not:
1. Boys For Pele
2. from the choirgirl hotel
3. To Venus And Back
4. Little Earthquakes
5. Under The Pink

6. Scarlet's Walk
7. Ocean To Ocean
8. Native Invader
9. Unrepentant Geraldines
(Y Kant Tori Read)

10. The Beekeeper
11. American Doll Posse

12. Night Of Hunters
12. Abnormally Attracted To Sin
13. Strange Little Girls

14. Gold Dust
15. Midwinter Graces

is this good then? i heard the first song when it came out and something about metal/stone/wood today and it all just washed right through. there hasn't been any urgency or anything unexpected in her music forever.

Last edited:
01 choirgirl
02 pele
03 venus
04 earthquakes
05 pink
06 scarlet
07 strange little girls - i pretty much love this for all its flaws, raining blood and rattlesnakes are amongst the best things she's done

no connection with the rest.

I’m not sure I can include an album in a rank after 6 days but yes this one has been pleasing. Generally in here we’ve never dragged Tori though have fairly called out album bloat and inconsistency (as well as some terrible artwork). However, for me all the albums have something worthwhile on them.
Couldn't agree more with this!

Yes perhaps DRAGGED was a little STRONG, but what is life without a jolt of hysterical hyperbole :disco:

And @krang it obviously lacks the BITE of Tori's early work, but as a mediation on the environment, grief, death and a slant towards politics it's a very cohesive and tight set. The 11 track length makes the album much easier to get into, and honestly the worst thing about it for me is the album cover :D
Spies, for example is her best "upbeat Tori" moment since Bouncing Off Clouds for me, and 'Speaking With Trees' is cut from the Spark template where it sounds like a big pop song but the lyrics are devastating. 'Devils Bane', 'Metal, Water, Wood' and 'Swim to New York State' are all excellent too.

It gets a bit weaker towards the end, e.g. '29 Years' and 'Birthday Baby' but really it's a very good album. Maybe not top/GOD-tier Tori but certainly a solid 8/10.

She did a Pitchfork interview on music that's shaped her life and one of her choices was The A Team by Ed Sheeran 😖
It’s not her, it’s obviously the muse that brought her China and Promise that made her say that.

I’d say the biggest influence on her, to my ears, when I’m listening to their back catalogues was Rickie Lee Jones. They are very different and both so original yet I feel like they are musical relatives.

Last edited:
Trying to flit between this and Blue Banisters but Tori keeps winning out
Same, I'm hoping my imminent Lana vinyl arrival will shift things a bit but Queen Tor is unbeatable at this point in the game.

That being said I think Lana is doomed really because The Queen Of Pop Aimee Mann returns tomorrow and I'll be truly slain by then.

Queen is looking good!

1636020303507.png

Anybody else basically not listening to anything other than Tori since last Friday? Asking for a friend.
I’ve played it once every evening and the only other thing I’ve alternated with is a new Jody Watley remix EP. I haven’t had much time for concentrated music listening this week but will this weekend hopefully, though Aimee and ABBA will also be in the frame by then too.

As I haven’t had a chance to sit down with the lyric booklet yet I didn’t notice that both the thieving meanies and anonymous hippopotamuses are both on ‘Spies’. Anonymous indeed.

I think I’m the only person who enjoys Birthday Baby.

“Sometimes in life a girl must tango alone”

If the combination of mood, volume and concentration hits correctly the -

Feel their arms around you
Feel their arms around me

section of Speaking With Trees is, for me, one of the most euphoric moments in Tori's entire discography :disco:

BLISS is probably my most euphoric Tori song off the top of my head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom