Traumatic Gay Midweeks

Talking of Atomic Kitten, Eternal Flame beating Bootylicious to #1 was and still is a travesty. I know Bootylicious isn't DC's best remembered hit, but it was absolutely epic at the time. Much better than anything containing that weird auto-tuned yet strangely off-key long note in Eternal Flame.

I think the D.C. album had sold strong by that point, so was one of those victims of being a single after the release of a big album. Though the fact Atomic Kitten sold about 140k, that’s more than DC’s two number ones prior so maybe they wouldn’t have got the #1 anyway. I forget how much Whole Again made the Kittens flavour of the month.

I don’t remember what happened in 1999 at Xmas? I was working in Our Price at that point

I remember Macy Gray and Melanie C albums doing very well, and R Kelly too. And that fucking Cliff Richard prayer recital.

Lou Bega, Bryan Adams and some others also missed the Top 40 despite having big hits recently. Their positions were read out on air, and I remember being excited to hear positions outside the Top 40 for once.

I remember Marvin and Tamara releasing around the same time albeit I think a week after Thunderbugs (with the follow up
to top 20 smash ‘Groove Machine’) and missing the top 40 by a whisker only to climb to 38 a week later. What drama!

I like the direction this discussion has taken. I’ll be talking about S.O.A.P before long.

‘The Donna Lewis Thread for Gay Chart Climbers’ the would be fun :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom