TV Ratings 2021

I didn’t see last nights, but yes she was offered 20k tonight before she decided to walk the line, so as I thought it really doesn’t make much sense.
It’s the jeopardy of being greedy going after more money with the potential to lose everything or knowing when to cut your losses.

Seems like you’re in a much better position to just turn up on Fridays show and storm the whole thing.

Yeah it’s shite.

It’s the jeopardy of being greedy going after more money with the potential to lose everything or knowing when to cut your losses.

Seems like you’re in a much better position to just turn up on Fridays show and storm the whole thing.

Yeah it’s shite.
But the end of the first show was 'will she take ten grand and leave or walk the line?' - there was no mention of the fact that she was guaranteed twenty grand if she stayed, so why on earth would she leave? :confused:

And yes, how does it make sense that someone could win four shows then lose the final to someone new that night? It seems fundamentally flawed to me.

Ouch at those I'm a Celeb numbers. It was hardly firing on all cylinders anyway but that break mid-run totally did for it.

But the end of the first show was 'will she take ten grand and leave or walk the line?' - there was no mention of the fact that she was guaranteed twenty grand if she stayed, so why on earth would she leave? :confused:

And yes, how does it make sense that someone could win four shows then lose the final to someone new that night? It seems fundamentally flawed to me.
Yeah the first episode was ridiculous because the format was redundant if she didn’t walk the line. The judges begging her to stay made me chuckle :D

It’s not guaranteed the money though is it? If she chooses to walk and isn’t the most popular she loses everything right?

To be honest I don't know, as I never bothered with the second episode, and don't intend watching any more. I just saw people online saying she was guaranteed twenty grand regardless. Or was that only if she won the second show as well as the first? I find it hard to think that someone who was willing to gamble 10k for the chance of half a million would then choose to check out on 20 or 30, if they have then been bolstered by multiple wins.

I am not surprised. If it can’t go back to Australia next year then they MUST take a break, or do an all stars version.
Why Wales and that castle? Appreciate getting to Australia may be difficult / impossible but surely there are more challenging environments than that within Europe? Stick them all in the Arctic?

December 6 - 12

01 Strictly Come Dancing 10.391m
02 Strictly Come Dancing: The Results 10.124m
03 I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here 6.759m
04 Top Gear 5.926m
05 Countryfile 5.741m
06 Coronation Street 5.181m
07 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 4.885m
08 BBC News at Six 4.862m
09 Emmerdale 4.647m
10 Have I Got News For You 4.267m
11 Gogglebox 4.212m
12 BBC Weekend News 4.004m
13 Paul O'Grady For The Love Of Dogs 3.900m
14 Masterchef: The Professionals 3.698m
15 The Hit List 3.653m
16 The Chase 3.5438m
17 The Repair Shop 3.380m
18 Casualty 3.321m
19 Walk The Line 3.261m
20 Formula 1 3.247m

Usual thing - two episodes missed the chart entirely so I can't calculate the average. It's possible it did sneak in at the very bottom of the chart but I can't be certain.

Line Of Duty is BBC iPlayer’s most popular episode and boxset of 2021​

• Line Of Duty’s return is BBC iPlayer’s biggest episode of the year so far, with the first episode of the sixth series streamed 9.2 million times, and the boxset has been streamed 137 million times. In addition, consolidated figures* show a huge 14.6m people watched the first episode of series six in its first 28 days – with the series peaking at 15.9m viewers for the final episode
  • iPlayer is on track to break 6 billion streams in a year for the first time, with 5.9 billion up to the end of November – 586 million more than the same time last year
  • Vigil, Time, The Serpent, and Italy vs England in the final of Euro 2020 also make iPlayer’s top ten episodes per programmes of the year. Consolidated figures also show the huge success of these programmes on both BBC broadcast channels and iPlayer, with Vigil (12.2m), Time (10.8m), The Serpent (8.3m) and Italy vs England in the final of Euro 2020 (17.8m) all being watched in their millions
  • The Olympics and Euro 2020 both among the biggest titles of the year, plus boxsets of Pretty Little Liars, Waterloo Road, Doctor Who, and RuPaul’s Drag Race UK are all in the top ten
Dan McGolpin, director of BBC iPlayer and channels, says: “It’s been an incredible year for BBC iPlayer with a unique mix of programmes driving more viewing than ever before. Line Of Duty tops the tables and it’s fantastic to see so many other brand-new drama series also featuring highly alongside those memorable sporting moments from last summer and some of the best documentary series of the year.

"Of course, the year’s not over yet and BBC iPlayer has something for everyone this Christmas, brand new boxsets like The Girl Before, A Very British Scandal and Around the World in 80 Days, a thrilling selection of blockbuster movies and an unrivalled collection of Christmas specials both past and present.”

As well as Line Of Duty, 2021’s biggest episodes also included submarine thriller Vigil, prison drama Time, and the thrilling conclusion of Euro 2020 with the final between Italy and England. Other big hitters on iPlayer included exotic crime thriller The Serpent, Northern Ireland-based police drama Bloodlands and Welsh mystery series The Pact. Consolidated figures also showed 10m watched Bloodlands and 7.3m watched The Pact within their first 28 days.

EastEnders had another fantastic year, with the show streamed 257 million times across the year so far – almost 100 million more than the same period last year, though the show went on extended hiatus in 2020 after a break in filming due to the Coronavirus outbreak.

BBC iPlayer’s top episodes per programme in 2021 so far** are:

RankProgrammeEpisodeStreams
1Line Of DutySeries 6 - episode 1
9.2m​
2VigilEpisode 1
8.0m​
3TimeEpisode 1
7.3m​
4The SerpentEpisode 1
6.3m​
5Euro 2020Final: Italy v England
6.0m​
6BloodlandsEpisode 1
5.1m​
7The PactEpisode 1
4.7m​
8TracesEpisode 1
4.4m​
9A Perfect PlanetVolcano
3.7m​
10Forensics: The Real CSISeries 2 – An Admission of Murder
3.6m​

The biggest titles on iPlayer this year so far* are:

RankProgrammeStreams
1Line Of Duty137.1m
2Olympics90.2m
3Pretty Little Liars79.9m
4Euro 202068.2m
5Silent Witness62.3m
6Waterloo Road45.3m
7Doctor Who41.8m
8Death In Paradise39.7m
9The Serpent35.4m
10RuPaul's Drag Race UK33.3m

I'd question how 'fantastic' those EastEnders figures really are, when you break them down. iPlayer figures for the first 7 days are included in the chart I post, and it doesn't get a huge boost when the 28 day chart is released - or at least a fraction of what dramas do. Then there's the fact that during Euro 2020 and the Olympics it premiered on iPlayer so that would have driven the figures up. But mainly its huge number of streams is due to a huge number of episodes. There are 36 episodes of Line Of Duty in total, and presumably those 137m streams are fairly heavily skewed to the 7 of the series broadcast this year. Won't there have been about 200 episodes of EastEnders?

I'm assuming the large number of episodes is why Pretty Little Liars looks to be doing so well in that last chart as well.

I fear it will limp on like Last Of The Summer Wine

The biggest Christmas soap getting 3.25m viewers. Times really have changed.

Not like Arthur Fowler stealing the Christmas club money or Ken Barlow having it away with Wendy Crozier, is it? :(

Is Christmas TV (apart from a couple of top attraction) dying a death or are people just watching in other ways? We watched The Queen, I was forced-fed Emmerdale (see daily thread passim) and then started Landscapers.

Good point re Eastenders @lolly - is it in a death spiral? I guess the BBC can’t do anything other than put the most positive spin on its performance. Presumably it isn’t going anywhere considering how much the new set cost.

Is Christmas TV (apart from a couple of top attraction) dying a death or are people just watching in other ways? We watched The Queen, I was forced-fed Emmerdale (see daily thread passim) and then started Landscapers.

Good point re Eastenders @lolly - is it in a death spiral? I guess the BBC can’t do anything other than put the most positive spin on its performance. Presumably it isn’t going anywhere considering how much the new set cost.
I imagine catch up viewing will be higher than usual due to people having time off. And probably due to a lot of people not watching due to food comas/ visiting family or whatever. I expect Call The Midwife will be the main beneficiary of that. The soaps don't do as well, but as EastEnders does do the best of the three on catch up it may end up the top soap of the day, perhaps.

The EastEnders question is an interesting one. The BBC are undoubtedly trying to put positive spin on it (hence the business about the number of iplayer streams in the press release posted above), but how much longer can they keep justifying its poor figures? It's consistently the poorest of the big three soaps and figures are still dipping.

I don't think we'll see it axed yet, but that set looks like a poor investment. I do think we might see the BBC reconsidering how they schedule it this year.

I wonder if the BBC would ever consider moving EastEnders to BBC Three?

I don’t watch tv on Christmas Day and catch up with it all on Boxing Day, we always have. I never even watched TOTP Christmas yesterday, was it on?

Those figures are TERRIBLE though other than The Queen. Am I wrong in thinking Call The Midwife pulled in about 9 million on Christmas Day in the not so distant past?

I don’t watch tv on Christmas Day and catch up with it all on Boxing Day, we always have. I never even watched TOTP Christmas yesterday, was it on?
Yes it was, but late morning or very early afternoon I think. We have it in the memory.

Growing up we never had the TV on at all on Christmas Day. It was all playing the games we had or being taught how to roller skate/ride a bike/whatever, or family visits.

Those figures are TERRIBLE though other than The Queen. Am I wrong in thinking Call The Midwife pulled in about 9 million on Christmas Day in the not so distant past?
I think it did in the consolidated figures (they are probably in last year's thread), but don't think it did on the day itself. It will do well on iplayer though - I expect to see a figure more like 7m when I post the weekly chart including Christmas Day.

December 13 - 19

01 Strictly Come Dancing 12.048m
02 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 5.593m
03 The Girl Before 5.476m
04 Coronation Street 5.034m
05 The Weakest Link 5.050m
06 BBC News at Six 4.953m
07 Emmerdale 4.488m
08 The Royal Variety Performance 4.486m
09 BBC Weekend News 4.401m
10 Have I Got News For You 4.268m
11 Masterchef: The Professionals 4.132m
12 Antiques Roadshow 3.990m
13 BBC News At Ten 3.738m
14 BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 3.362m
15 The Chase 3.121m
16 Countryfile 3.108m
17 Only Connect 3.103m
18 ITV Evening News 3.099m
19 Strictly The Full Monty 3.009m
20 Film: Spiderman: Far From Home 2.989m

Same issue as the last several weeks for EastEnders; unable to give an average as one episode wasn't in the chart. If I assume the lowest episode had the same as the #50 show (i.e. the best it possibly could have had), it's possible it could be as high as #15 with 3.191m - although it's probable it's a little lower than that.

December 20 - 26

01 The Queen 8.234m
02 Death In Paradise 7.828m
03 Call The Midwife 7.685m
04 Strictly Come Dancing 7.273m
05 A Very British Scandal 6.737m
06 Around The World In 80 Days 5.533m
07 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 5.499m
08 Coronation Street 5.143m
09 BBC News at Six 4.967m
10 Blankety Blank 4.968m
11 Superworm 4.931m
12 Emmerdale 4.521m
13 The Repair Shop 4.412m
14 Shaun The Sheep: The Flight Before Christmas 4.379m
15 Mary Poppins Returns 4.370m
16 Ghosts 4.369m
17 Mrs Brown's Boys 4.259m
18 The Great British Sewing Bee 4.206m
19 All Creatures Great And Small 4.185m
20 Top Gear 4.044m

Last edited:
The top episode of EastEnders (Christmas Day) got 4.357m, but as one of the episodes again failed to chart, I can't calculate the exact average. Best case scenario (ie assuming it had the exact same audience as the bottom of the chart), it had an average of 3.945m, which would put it at #23 for the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom