TV Ratings 2021

I’ve just had a look at the viewing figures - 16.9m last night with a peak of 25.8m :o

SURELY there’s a good chance Sunday night can break the 32.3m record? (Well, according to Wikipedia anyway).

I’ve just had a look at the viewing figures - 16.9m last night with a peak of 25.8m :o

SURELY there’s a good chance Sunday night can break the 32.3m record? (Well, according to Wikipedia anyway).
Yes, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

It will be split across two channels, though.

Imagine being given the choice to watch it on the BBC or ITV and choosing ITV :D

June 28 - July 4

01 Euro 2020: Ukraine vs England 15.071m
02 Euro 2020: England vs Germany 13.067m
03 Euro 2020: Sweden vs Ukraine 7.875m
04 UEFA European Football Championship: France vs Switzerland 7.628m
05 Euro 2020: Belgium vs Italy 7.124m
06 Antiques Roadshow 5.261m
07 UEFA European Football Championship: Czech Republic vs Denmark 5.177m
08 UEFA European Football Championship: Croatia vs Spain 5.053m
09 UEFA European Football Championship: Switzerland vs Spain 4.923m
10 BBC Weekend News 4.865m
11 Film: Yesterday (2019) 4.692m
12 Countryfile 4.585m
13 Coronation Street 4.483m
14 Wimbledon (30th June 18:32) 4.375m
15 Celebrity Gogglebox 4.141m
16 BBC News at Ten 3.906m
17 Emmerdale 3.822m
18 Love Island 3.525m
19 Wimbledon (28th June 19:00) 3.352m
20 Dragons' Den 3.324m

I can't give a figure for EastEnders as only one of the episodes appears in the top 50 shows, so I can't calculate the average. The one episode which did chart had 2.926m. The bottom show in the chart (BBC News at One on 28th June) got 2.420m, so the two remaining episodes of EastEnders obviously both got less than that.

Is that bad for Love Island? Still hoping Channel 5 can beat it with their own rival show, The Chlamydia Chronicles.

Hopefully Love Island flopping will soon herald the return of Big Brother :disco:

Love Island would be top ten if it wasn't for football. Although of course because of the football there is little other competition.

Either way, for a show on ITV2 which attracts a relatively narrow demographic, it must be seen as a big success from a selling advertising perspective, if nothing else.

Love Island for the corresponding week 2 years ago was on 4.146m, so it's down over half a million from then.

But it was also below EastEnders then, although comparison with that is difficult at present due it being put on iPlayer.

It must still be ITV2’s most watched programme. All tv shows shed viewers. BB had lost a fair amount of viewers comparing season 1 to season 5. It is still mega successful no matter what way we look at it.

Hmph

I guess I’ll have to go on a social media cull on people that watch it. At least HERE I can avoid the thread.

Hmph

I guess I’ll have to go on a social media cull on people that watch it. At least HERE I can avoid the thread.

WHY? Can you not just skip past it, or is it very dominant on social media?

It must still be ITV2’s most watched programme. All tv shows shed viewers. BB had lost a fair amount of viewers comparing season 1 to season 5. It is still mega successful no matter what way we look at it.
Oh by some distance. And a dream for ITV if they want to sell advertising for people in that demographic. I can't imagine there's anything that close at all which offers the same impact.

WHY? Can you not just skip past it, or is it very dominant on social media?
I suppose being part of the YOUNG ADULT DEMOGRAPHIC it is quite DOMINANT.

Love Island had the top six programmes on ITV2, top show 3.936m, lowest 3.171m

#7 was Love Island: Unseen Bits (0.915m), #8 Love Island: Aftersun (0.635m) and then #9 Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again with 0.399m.

Yes, amongst the 16-24 age bracket, it's the most popular show - even more so than the football.
Actually a warning on that though - I only see the demographics info for commercial TV. So it was more popular than any of the football on ITV, but the biggest matches in that week were all BBC.

Love Island had the top six programmes on ITV2, top show 3.936m, lowest 3.171m

#7 was Love Island: Unseen Bits (0.915m), #8 Love Island: Aftersun (0.635m) and then #9 Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again with 0.399m.

I never watch the unseen bits, and it looks like most other regular watchers don’t either.

I never watch the unseen bits, and it looks like most other regular watchers don’t either.
Yet even that was well over twice as popular as ITV2's highest non-Love Island programme.

I'm only going to include the highest match/episode etc, but the highest rated commercial programmes by demographic are:

All adults
1 UEFA
2 Coronation Street
3 Emmerdale

ABC1 adults
1 UEFA
2 Celebrity Gogglebox
3 Love Island

Adults 16 - 24
1 Love Island
2 UEFA
3 Celebrity Gogglebox

Adults 16 - 34
1 Love Island
2 UEFA
3 Celebrity Gogglebox

Men
1 UEFA
2 Coronation Street
3 Celebrity Gogglebox

Women
1 Coronation Street
2 Emmerdale
3 Love Island

Men 16 - 34
1 UEFA
2 Love Island
3 Celebrity Gogglebox

Women 16 - 34
1 Love Island
2 UEFA
3 Celebrity Gogglebox

Men ABC1
1 UEFA
2 Celebrity Gogglebox
3 Coronation Street

Women ABC1
1 UEFA
2 Love Island
3 Celebrity Gogglebox

Housepersons ABC1
1 UEFA
2 Celebrity Gogglebox
3 Coronation Street

Housepersons with children
1 Love Island
2 UEFA
3 Celebrity Gogglebox

Children
1 UEFA
2 Love Island
3 Film: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

@Rita

Love Island increases from 3.525m to 4.498m when viewing on PC, laptop and smartphone is included, which is a huge increase, and again perhaps not surprising when you consider the demographic. That's an increase of just under a million, or nearly 28%

For comparison, the England vs Ukraine match only increased 264k, or less than 2%. I don't imagine many people want to watch football on a phone, though...

Love Island gained nearly a million viewers from PC, tablet, laptop and smartphone.

Antiques Roadshow gained 14,000 :D

Do any of you soap fans know when the episodes dropped on iPlayer etc during the Euros? I think it was BEFORE the episodes were then broadcast later in the week, wasn't it?

Do any of you soap fans know when the episodes dropped on iPlayer etc during the Euros? I think it was BEFORE the episodes were then broadcast later in the week, wasn't it?

Every Monday.

Every Monday.
Interesting, because I've found a website which includes those figures. So I can see that Coronation Street rises from 4.483m to 4.968m. That's still considerably down on where it was before though, so perhaps a significant number of people just aren't bothering to follow it.

I can't calculate see the figures for Emmerdale or EastEnders though, as only the top 15 shows for each channel are included. Emmerdale has two of the top 15 for ITV (4.651m the highest), but none of the EastEnders episodes make the top 15 on BBC1. So all episodes got less than 3.556m.

It will be interesting to see if the soaps pick up again - but didn't I read that BBC are doing it right through the Olympics as well?

Interesting, because I've found a website which includes those figures. So I can see that Coronation Street rises from 4.483m to 4.968m. That's still considerably down on where it was before though, so perhaps a significant number of people just aren't bothering to follow it.

I can't calculate see the figures for Emmerdale or EastEnders though, as only the top 15 shows for each channel are included. Emmerdale has two of the top 15 for ITV (4.651m the highest), but none of the EastEnders episodes make the top 15 on BBC1. So all episodes got less than 3.556m.

It will be interesting to see if the soaps pick up again - but didn't I read that BBC are doing it right through the Olympics as well?

I would have thought people generally didn’t follow the soaps throughout the Euros. Would the soaps (especially Corrie and Emmerdale) not be watched by an older audience still? Some people over 70 for example may not have facilities to download the episodes and if they aren’t on at the usual times because of football may have missed out?

Eastenders will continue to release all their episodes on a Monday until after the olympics, yes. ITV should be back to normal now though I think.

It will be interesting to see if soaps do gain back all viewers that they have lost as you say though as it certainly more comes down to habit in watching them than necessity.

My mum has the means to watch the soaps on TV with iPlayer, but hasn't bothered keeping up during the football. And I've lost count of the number of times I've shown her how to get Netflix and Prime and suggested things she'll probably enjoy. And as much as she has a laptop and a tablet which she uses for shopping and candy bloody crush or somesuch, she'd never watch TV on them.

My mum has a great new smart TV and I have loaded my Netflix, Prime, Disney+ on it which she can access at the touch of a single menu button, plus logged her in to iPlayer etc.

She STILL insists on accessing TV through some super slow Humax Freeview box which has a Netflix button on the remote, but takes 10 times as long to scroll through the menus.

I did get a call this weekend to say she has finally figured how to access Prime Video, but of all things chose to watch the film ‘mother!’ - her review had me in stitches :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom