13 World Cup: Morocco vs Spain 4.070m
14 World Cup: Japan vs Croatia 4.032m
15 BBC Weekend News 3.933m
16 Masterchef: The Professionals 3.893m
17 Harry and Meghan 3.865m
18 Gogglebox 3.854m
19 EastEnders 3.653m
20 The Traitors 3.275m

All three episodes of The Traitors did make the top 50 in the end when non-TV viewing included - #36, #37 and #45 of the week.

Top 10 programmes on Christmas Day

1) The King (BBC, Sky, ITV and GB News) 10.72m
2) Strictly Come Dancing (BBC One) 5.44m
3) Michael McIntyre's Xmas Wheel (BBC One) 4.81m
4) Call The Midwife (BBC One) 4.49m
5) Aladdin (BBC One) 4.39m
6) Ghosts (BBC One) 3.92m
7) Doc Martin (ITV1) 3.26m
8) EastEnders (BBC One) 3.17m
9) Coronation Street (ITV1) 2.85m
10) Ant and Dec's Limitless Win (ITV1) 2.69m

All figures supplied by the Broadcasters Audience Research Board (Barb))

Is it me or are those ratings breathtakingly low for Christmas? Or is that just how Christmas has gone in recent years?
Only down slightly on last year - which I imagine would mirror the year as a whole.

Interesting to see that EastEnders increased and appears to have been the biggest of the soaps.

Last edited:
I’m sure if Eastenders was on an hour earlier it would have done a bit better, but I suppose Call The Midwife, Strictly and Michael McIntyre all had to go earlier. Would have been better to put Michael McIntyre on Boxing Day.

Christmas ratings are just a bit tragic now. Apart from The Dectectorists Boxing Day was pretty barren, nothing I wanted to watch.

Though the bloody Wheel also managed to grow on last year :D

December 12 - 18

01 Strictly Come Dancing: The Final 10.610m
02 World Cup: The Final Argentina vs France 9.434m
03 World Cup: France vs Morocco 7.934m
04 Strictly Come Dancing: The Results 7.216m
05 World Cup: Argentina vs Croatia 7.028m
06 Strike 6.598m
07 BBC Weekend News 5.284m
08 The Weakest Link 4.913m
09 Coronation Street 4.719m
10 BBC News at Six 4.637m
11 His Dark Materials 4.599m
12 Emmerdale 4.421m
13 EastEnders 4.196m
14 World Cup: Croatia vs Morocco 4.162m
15 The Hit List 4.015m
16 The Traitors 3.702m
17 Top Gear 3.586m
18 ITV Evening News 3.315m
19 The Chase 3.313m
20 Britain's Got Talent: The Ultimate Magic 3.190m

Last edited:
That's the result show of the Strictly semi final at 4, which was on the Monday - and the live show in the chart last week.

What was significant about EastEnders on Monday 12th December? That one episode had 4.890m (and was only behind one episode of Coronation Street over the whole week), and has given an average of over 4m for the first time in ages.

What was significant about EastEnders on Monday 12th December? That one episode had 4.890m (and was only behind one episode of Coronation Street over the whole week), and has given an average of over 4m for the first time in ages.
Was that Dot’s funeral?

Christmas ratings are just a bit tragic now. Apart from The Dectectorists Boxing Day was pretty barren, nothing I wanted to watch.
I wonder if people are increasingly just deciding to boxset and things they have been missing out on or catching up with? The whole Christmas schedule looked so unimaginative - although I don't know if that is something that has worsened, or if it always has been.

I wonder if people are increasingly just deciding to boxset and catch up on things they have been missing out on or catching up with? The whole Christmas schedule looked so unimaginative - although I don't know if that is something that has worsened, or if it always has been.

BBC1 on 25th December seems to be pretty much the same now year on year. I suppose they do (comparatively) well so aren't likely to change things up too much.

I think in the past people were a little more easily pleased with whatever we were offered. There are so many other shiny things competing for the public's attention now.

Yes, and I think once you move away from watching things live, you open up watching anything. I didn't watch the Strictly Christmas show when it was on, and therefore I didn't watch it at all. When I did sit down to watch TV, I didn't even consider it when flicking through iPlayer.

It's hard to see BBC moving away from their Christmas Day offering now, which as you say has pretty much been unchanged for a few years. BBC still very much owns Christmas Day and outperforms ITV easily. Christmas episodes of their big hitters and EastEnders are as trustworthy as it gets.

Was there a big drama debut/feature at all this festive period? I know they're cutting back on those across the board, but I remember that Great Expectations adaptation a decade or so ago with that jawline from the gods twink did massive numbers. I'm surprised they don't just invest in one of those each festive period, but I suppose comparative wins might be enough at this point, vs. potential big swings and misses. Feels like the sort of strategy that precedes long term decline though.

Was there a big drama debut/feature at all this festive period? I know they're cutting back on those across the board, but I remember that Great Expectations adaptation a decade or so ago with that jawline from the gods twink did massive numbers. I'm surprised they don't just invest in one of those each festive period, but I suppose comparative wins might be enough at this point, vs. potential big swings and misses. Feels like the sort of strategy that precedes long term decline though.
Mayflies is probably the closest equivalent but that a) only starts tonight and b) is a very different scale to a big Agatha Christie adaptation or something.

Can't think why the BBC didn't want to go with a terminal cancer diagnosis drama on Christmas Day itself.

If cutting back on expensive drama gives us more cheap TV on BBC1 like The Traitors, frankly I'm all for it.

I suppose it makes sense to make them if they can be licensed around the world for profit, but they’re rarely long term things that’ll be shown for years to come. I can’t remember the last one I properly tuned in to see.

My mum keeps telling me that the Blankety Blank Christmas Special was her favourite thing this year, but I think the volume of brandy we’d consumed directly before may have contributed to our enjoyment.

If cutting back on expensive drama gives us more cheap TV on BBC1 like The Traitors, frankly I'm all for it.

But it mostly means fuckloads of cheap shit like The Repair Shop, Bargain Hunt and that one where old jiggly tits goes and rescues stuff from the tip, converts it into a lamp (every fucking time!), flogs it online and then goes back to the original owners with £36.75 profit, which they inevitably say they are going to donate to a charity or in some way treat their grandchildren, when you just know the minute the door is closed and the silly cow has fucked off, Brian is shouting “Brenda, get on the phone to the Lucky Dragon and don’t spare the crispy chilli beef”.

But it mostly means fuckloads of cheap shit like The Repair Shop, Bargain Hunt and that one where old jiggly tits goes and rescues stuff from the tip, converts it into a lamp (every fucking time!), flogs it online and then goes back to the owners with £36.75 profit, which they inevitably say they are going to donate to a charity or in some way treat their grandchildren, when you just know the minute the door is closed and the silly cow has fucked off, Brian is shouting “Brenda, get on the phone to the Lucky Dragon and don’t spare the crispy chilli beef”.

And right there, dear reader, is the tale of someone who cares for an 81 year old who sits in and watches tv all day in a nutshell.

December 19 - 25

barb.co.uk not updated yet, so this is the chart with platform viewing excluded. I'll update it if I see it in thenext few days.

01 Call The Midwife 7.591m
02 Film: The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse 6.993m
03 Strictly Come Dancing 6.807m
04 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 6.508m
05 Doc Martin 5.882m
06 Ghosts 5.763m
07 Film: Aladdin 4.836m
08 Coronation Street 4.607m
09 Strike 4.523m
10 Film: The Smeds and The Smoos 4.327m
11 BBC News at Six 4.293m
12 The Traitors 4.187m