U2 - 'Discothèque'

Oh look! They're inside a giant mirrorball. And they're dressed as the Village People. :manson:

• Total voters
I am embarrassed to say that I love to hate U2 and own most of their albums.

I am also ashamed to the core because Pop is one of my favourite U2 albums and I think 'Discotheque' is actually a bona fide bop.

Help me Mopsy.

Last edited:
i listened to this very recently for the first time in ages while sorting my music files. it's one of a handful of u2 songs i liked over the years.
it sounded pretty weak to my 2021 ears (they've grown btw).

U2 top 10 anyone?

I'll start us off with a top 5 U2 albums:

1. AchTUNG Baby
2. Zooropa
3. Pop
4. The Joshua Tree
5. Boy

I love how unanimously hated they are here which of course I would expect and adore from Mopsters but what can I do I like some/ a lot of their music.

1. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (definitive version by Chair)
2. The Wanderer
3. Electrical Storm
4. Sweetest Thing
5. One
6. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
7. Sunday Bloody Sunday
8. Where The Streets Have No Name
9. City Of Blinding Lights
10. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

1. Mysterious Ways
2. With Or Without You
3. Sunday Bloody Sunday
4. Sweetest Thing
5. One
6. Lemon
7. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
8. Do You Feel Loved
9. Who's Gonna Ride Your Horses (demo version)
10. Even Better Than The Real Thing

never really paid them much attention. i still like a few.

01 mysterious ways
02 hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
03 lemon
04 even better than the real thing
05 the ground beneath her feet
06 electrical storm (william orbit mix)
07 one (i like when mary j blige delivers the you ask me to enter but then you make me crawl line in particular)
08 desire
09 i still haven't found what i'm looking for
10 numb (wonder how this has aged, a bit scared to check)

still not sure if i love or hate the sweetest thing.
listening to discothèque again - is it just really badly mixed/mastered? it sounds very flat and opposite of crisp? still love the final bit and the video is iconic.

I love it! Achtung Baby- Zooropa- Pop was such a good run of albums before it all went massively tits up…

I love it! Achtung Baby- Zooropa- Pop was such a good run of albums before it all went massively tits up…
Yep - my favourite three U2 albums (and I don't consider The Passengers as a proper U2 album).

I've been on a huge U2 kick since this thread actually. Whilst I love The Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum I really think '90s U2 was IT for me.

Plus the Perfecto remix of 'Lemon' :disco:

They suffered from the same Madonna thing really when you think about it.

No Line On The Horizon is their MDNA.

Used to love this a lot but it aged badly and quickly and now I haven’t heard it for decades.

I hate most of their big hits. Staring at the Sun is probably the song I like the most by them.

I never was exposed to much U2 before Vertigo, outside of the obvious huge hits, so I'm doing a little dance through their discog right now. thanks Suedette! any essential DEEP CUTS?

I never was exposed to much U2 before Vertigo, outside of the obvious huge hits, so I'm doing a little dance through their discog right now. thanks Suedette! any essential DEEP CUTS?
Honestly as @Sheena also mentioned I would highly recommend the trilogy of the Aching Baby / Zooropa / Pop albums. There'll be plenty on those right up the Jarkettè streeté

In fact I think the Zooropa album is quite underrated (by the band themselves as well.) It was recorded during a break in the mammoth Zoo TV World Tour and it's all just such a creative spurt. 'Numb', 'Lemon', 'Babyface', 'Stay' and the title track are all 11/10 bops.

I'm not that bothered about Pop (although it probably deserves reassessment), but Achtung Baby and Zooropa are about as great as stadium filling straight white men music gets.

Lemon is indeed a life altering smash! :disco:

maybe I knew it before but The Sweetest Thing is also a right lovely song.

We stampeded onto the dancefloor many a time for the Perfecto mix of Even Better Than The Real Thing. “TAKE me HIGHER”

On this note can I add that the demo version of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is the best version of that song.

I'm not that bothered about Pop (although it probably deserves reassessment), but Achtung Baby and Zooropa are about as great as stadium filling straight white men music gets.
Shall we talk about which members were the most fuckable at this point in the thread @lolly ? It's our thing isn't it. (cf Take That & Coldplay)

Shall we talk about which members were the most fuckable at this point in the thread @lolly ? It's our thing isn't it. (cf Take That & Coldplay)
Well it would be rude NOT TO, wouldn't it?

I think we need an era though. Because I could probably go for all of them first (except The Edge) at various points.

Well it would be rude NOT TO, wouldn't it?

I think we need an era though. Because I could probably go for all of them first (except The Edge) at various points.
I'd have gone for him in the Zoo TV era actually. He's kind of cute in the 'Numb' video.

But yes I mean Bono's peak era for me was Pop (the buzz cut was hot).

Adam's peak era was Achtung (and the big fat cock always helps).

Larry's like a fine wine I suppose, and up until 2009 he was still it.

Edge is the least fuckable - totally accept that but I'd have let him have a go circa '91-94 I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom