UK Charts/ Midweeks 2021

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
I note the post Christmas chart is pretty crazy. Every single track from 51 down is a new entry or reentry, including 2019 Eurovision winner Duncan Lawrence for reasons I don't understand.

Any info of how far Last Christmas fell?

I note that last weeks No 1 album and single have both fallen out of their respective top 100s. That must be a first.

How odd for Duncan. A quick scan on the sales chart and I can’t see it, so it’s streaming fuelled as well?

Nice to see Ava Max sneak in at the bottom.

I noticed this little tinkering of the rules mentioned by James Misterton, via @Robbie on ukmix

In order to sidestep the issues seen in recent years, when the January market adjustment plays havoc with the singles rankings, the OCC (following a recommendation by the Chart Supervisory Committee) has this year paused the ACR reset process, instead inviting labels to nominate tracks they intend to continue to push in January. This is most immediately to the benefit of Dua Lipa’s Levitating, which races back to its No.5 peak (20,314 sales) and Tate McRae’s You Broke Me First, which is back in the Top 10 for the first time in five weeks at No.9 (18,790 sales).

I don’t fully understand it but it’s really a bit dodgy isn’t it? Not auto resetting but rather forcing labels to apply for it - so in this case giving those two tracks much higher positions than the rest who haven’t bothered to apply for it?

I don’t fully understand it but it’s really a bit dodgy isn’t it? Not auto resetting but rather forcing labels to apply for it - so in this case giving those two tracks much higher positions than the rest who haven’t bothered to apply for it?
I'm not entirely sure i understand, but I think I agree with you. So how does it 'sidestep the issues seen in recent years, when the January market adjustment plays havoc with the singles rankings'? Hasn't it rather added in another rule which makes the playing field even less level?

Like the charts haven’t been manipulable for years anyway!

UTTER IRRELEVANCE!

I find it interesting though that they are referring to the 'January market adjustment', when of course REALLY it's the chart responding perfectly naturally to the December market adjustment. But they seem to be trying to address January rather than possibly thinking of a Christmas or catalogue chart in the future.

I'm not entirely sure i understand, but I think I agree with you. So how does it 'sidestep the issues seen in recent years, when the January market adjustment plays havoc with the singles rankings'? Hasn't it rather added in another rule which makes the playing field even less level?

I mean as much as I'm quite pleased Dua Lipa is back in the top 5, it seems a bit off to me that had the label decided they didn't want to push Levitating because they wanted to focus on a different single instead, the ACR would have applied, and she would have ended up with little over half her 20k sales, and somewhere around #20.

This is the problem with translating streams to sales "Hi record label, would you like us to half the sales of this single or not?".

This is the problem with translating streams to sales "Hi record label, would you like us to half the sales of this single or not?".

Bring back the old days when at least the customer could get a free t-shirt out of chart rigging...

Like the charts haven’t been manipulable for years anyway!

UTTER IRRELEVANCE!

Oh I totally agree, but this is another level (yet again) of manipulation. I believe Blinding Lights would be #1 this week without all the rules...which is fucking ridiculous (wasn't it released in 2019?), but as Lolly says lets just have a catalogue chart and be done with all the shit - the charts are meant to reflect the current 'hits'. Seeing 'Mr Brightside' and the lot in the end of year top 50 or whatever just isn't achieving the intentions, surely?

Oh I totally agree, but this is another level (yet again) of manipulation. I believe Blinding Lights would be #1 this week without all the rules...which is fucking ridiculous

It would have been #2 but your point still stands

I wonder if whatever Wham’s fall from number one was will ever be replicated. It must be the perfect storm, with just one day of “sales” for it counting, and after this year, no way the OCC is going to leave the chart rules as is for next Christmas.

I’d love to know where it ended up.

after this year, no way the OCC is going to leave the chart rules as is for next Christmas.

While it would be quite unlike the OCC to ignore something that could be interfered with, last December was the ONLY time anyone paid attention to the singles chart. Mariah, Wham and - to a lesser extent - LadBaby were all headline news. Shunting Christmas songs into their own chart would be the final nail in the coffin of year-round irrelevance.

Although clearly if those tracks repeat the feat next year, they won't generate the same coverage.

Sleaford Mods #2 midweek on the albums. If you'd told anyone that when "Austerity Dogs" came out, you'd have been thought completely bonkers.

They'll drop back to about 7 or 8, I reckon but that's still extraordinary for a band like them.

From the OCC

Bicep and Bring Me The Horizon are locked in a tight battle for Number 1 on this week’s Official Albums Chart with their respective collections Isles and Post Human: Survival Horror.

Just 103 chart sales separate the Northern Irish electronic duo and Sheffield rock giants on today’s Official Chart Update, with this week’s race for the top spot sure to go down to the wire.

The second studio album from Bicep – aka Andrew Ferguson and Matthew McBriar – Isles has scored the most downloads over the weekend and is the most-streamed new release of the week so far, putting the pair well on their way to a new personal best on the Official Chart this week. The pair’s self-titled debut album peaked at Number 20 in September 2017.

Bring Me The Horizon are narrowly behind at Number 2 with their apocalyptic EP Post Human: Survival Horror. The set charted at Number 5 upon its digital release last October with the CD, cassette and vinyl rollout potentially about to deliver the album a new peak position. Post Human has racked up the most physical sales so far this week. Their last album, Amo, went all the way to Number 1 in 2019 - could they nudge ahead and claim their second chart topper this week? See Bring Me The Horizon’s chart history.

1 Bicep - Isles (8,546) *
2 Bring Me the Horizon - POST HUMAN: SURVIVAL HORROR (8,443) ^
3 Barry Gibb - Greenfields: Gibb Brothers Songbook, Vol. 1 (2,610)
4 Neil Diamond - All-Time Greatest Hits (1,631) ^
5 Pop Smoke - Shoot for the Stars Aim for the Moon (1,616)

Last edited:
Queen's Greatest Hits climbs to #6 in the albums chart, the highest position in 29 years. Amazing.

Well it's been in the lower part of the top 10 for most of 2021. Spotify, I guess.

I had no idea. I clearly don’t pay any attention to the charts at all these days and I am even further out of touch than I thought I was. :D

Hasn’t Bohemian Rhapsody (the film) just recently been added to Prime Video in the last couple of weeks? Maybe that’s a reason.

I initially thought it was due to It’s a Sin but I think only one song was played on it.

It's mostly to do with how streaming works. Any track which is streamed counts towards both the parent album AND the biggest selling hits collection featuring that track. Obviously if you have a lot of hits which are streamed regularly it benefits your "best of" massively (see also Abba and Fleetwood Mac amongst others).

It's sales were only up about 500 "sales" on last week but because sales are so low its climbed.

A few. Albums of interest this week

1 Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Back The Way We Came Vol 1: 2011-2021 (20,190) *
2 Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR (7,505)
3 Garbage - No Gods No Masters (5,075) *
4 Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? (4,602) ^
5 Polo G - Hall Of Fame (3,469) *

6-10
7 Migos - Culture III *
8 MARINA - Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land *
10 Bo Burnham - Inside (The Songs) *

11-20
12 Maroon 5 - Jordi *
13 Linkin Park - Meteora ^
18 Fontaines D.C. - Live At Kilmainham Gaol *
19 Little Mix - Confetti
20 Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend

Wow surprised to see Jessie doing so well this late into the game. I know it's new songs and all, but I thought they might just get a few individual streams and bump the album a little.

This would be its 4th week in the top ten yes?

Wow surprised to see Jessie doing so well this late into the game. I know it's new songs and all, but I thought they might just get a few individual streams and bump the album a little.

This would be its 4th week in the top ten yes?
Third, apparently:

Chart run (2 weeks / 09.07.2020 - 16.07.2020)
3 - 43
Chart run (2 weeks / 18.02.2021 - 25.02.2021)
9 - 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom