UK Charts/ Midweeks 2021

I bought the ABBA cd and vinyl in HMV though I wanted the covers the other way round from what I got them. However, anytime I’ve asked Alexa to play it she has been unable to on Amazon Music so still haven’t had my first listen yet.

Last edited:
I bought the ABBA cd and vinyl in HMV though I wanted the cover the other way round from what I got them. However, anytime I’ve asked Alexa to play it she has been unable to on Amazon Music so still haven’t had my first listen yet.
I can't get Alexa to play Voyage directly from Spotify either, for some reason. I have to select it on my phone or tablet, and then connect it to my speaker through the app.

I can't get Alexa to play Voyage directly from Spotify either, for some reason. I have to select it on my phone or tablet, and then connect it to my speaker through the app.
This is always the case when something's new. It should be okay in about a week/few days

Apparently there's only 10 chart sales separating Taylor at number 1 and Little Mix at number 2 on the album chart midweek!

How many formats did Little Mix have? 3 double pic discs, a CD and 2 double CDs and...were there cassettes? I think Swift just has vinyl and CD.

Looks like the pic discs were ditched in favour of coloured vinyl so there are 4 vinyl editions, 3 CD editions and 3 cassettes.

has any artist in history ever released 9 consecutive studio albums (11 including the two TVs) and never flopped, not even a little? she's never even sold less than 2x platinum in the US. and she torments Ag. I mean... :disco:

Christmas parties must be about ready to kick off this weekend? BRING ON THE CHRISTMAS SONGS! :santa:

Wait until she turns 35...

Daisies! Daisies! Daisies!

I wonder if that’ll happen to her or not. I mean she’s had a lot longer consistent success that most BPGs and she her image is a lot less sexualised that others too. I think that’s a big point when it comes to the shitty patriarchy giving someone an expiry date.

I mean Pink, Kelly Clarkson etc have pushed through this barrier and I never think of them as sexualised. I mean Pink has owned her sexuality from early on, so that’s something different. Kelly, well I guess the jury is still out on her prospects but she’s got her show now, that’s diversifying her career.

Sort of amazing that Taylor can keep momentum up even just with re-releases

"Folklore" and "Evermore" have proved that Swift can appeal long term outside of her core demographic.

She's showed a whole new way to resell your back catalogue. Whilst she's far from the first to re-record some songs, I'm not aware of anything on this scale - completely re-recorded reissues of albums actually shifting, albeit largely on the back of the previously unreleased material. A reissue of "Red" with the actual vault recordings wouldn't do even half of the business "Taylor's Version" is doing this week.

The labels must be wondering if there's anyone else with whom they can do this.

Interestingly, Swift is now offering signed copies of Red TV from her store. Only for 48 hours tho'. One wonders why. :eyes:

Any streaming missing?
I think well streamed albums are always adding a couple of thousand "sales" back at the end of the week, but if ABBA keep widening the gap they should hold on

That’s great for ABBA, close to 7k in a day. Streams are always a day behind, but if they can extend the lead they may hold on.

I saw someone on ukmix basically implying that Taylor was CHEATING her way ahead with signed CDs.

I mean, quite apart from the fact that I very much doubt she signed thirty thousand for the UK market only, did she release on about 20 formats?!

I'd say it's a big old scarf in a cupboard storm — Taylor only has a vinyl, a picture disk, a cassette, a signed CD, a jar of pumpkin spice, a keychain, and in instruction manual on how to burn Jake's house down contributing to her sales this week. physical items will make up more than streaming points. so take a seat and don't question the queen!!!

who posts on ukmix anymore anyway! get a hobby!

1 Taylor Swift - Red (Taylor's Version) (58,967)
[45,028 physical, 9,989 streaming sales, 3,950 downloads] *
2 ABBA - Voyage (33,679)
3 Little Mix - Between Us (28,868) *
4 Ed Sheeran - = (23,582)

turns out she's 25k ahead.

Ed could snatch #3 from Little Mix by Friday.

Thursday mids

1 Taylor Swift - Red (Taylor's Version) (67.6k) *
2 ABBA - Voyage (37.5k)
3 Little Mix - Between Us (31.0k) *
4 Ed Sheeran - = (27.7k)

Says a lot that Abba's sales can fall by 80% and they'll still be #2...

Those week 2 ABBA numbers are particularly impressive when you think of their audience on streaming vs physical sales, and physical sales are always front loaded.

Yep I’d say ABBA should do about 43k once final day streams are added in, and that’s an impressive second week, better than the 30k odd I had thought.

01 72,319 Taylor Swift - Red (Taylor's Version) [45,338 CDs, 7,086 vinyl]
02 44,053 ABBA - Voyage
03 34,068 Ed Sheeran - =
04 33,822 Little Mix - Between Us [3,134 cassette]
05 20,470 Rod Stewart - The Tears of Hercules
06 14,351 IDLES - CRAWLER [9,584 vinyl]
07 14,120 Damon Albarn - The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows
08 12,896 The Wanted - Most Wanted: The Greatest Hits
09 12,484 Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak & Silk Sonic - An Evening With Silk Sonic
10 10,409 Kylie Minogue - DISCO [total: 142,393]

11 8,186 The Reytons - Kids off the Estate
12 6,613 Elton John - The Lockdown Sessions
14 5,770 ABBA - Gold: Greatest Hits
15 5,747 Ronan Keating - Songs From Home
16 4,991 Coldplay - Music of the Spheres
18 4,831 Nirvana - Nevermind

27 3,665 Summer Walker - Still Over It
29 2,958 Diana Ross - Thank You
31 2,862 Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
34 2,782 Red Rum Club - How to Steal the World
35 2,754 Gregory Porter - Still Rising: The Collection

another reason to hate Ed :D

The midweek chart has Mariah at #3 and Wham! at #5. I think traditionally streams drop during the week (at least until close to Christmas), so they will probably drop in the final chart, but that still gave me a shock.

And 11 other Christmas tracks in the top 40, and a further 25 in the top 100.

Wow !

I love Christmas music but it all feels about a week early this year. It’s all over the radio and it feels too soon.

The midweek chart has Mariah at #3 and Wham! at #5. I think traditionally streams drop during the week (at least until close to Christmas), so they will probably drop in the final chart, but that still gave me a shock.

And 11 other Christmas tracks in the top 40, and a further 25 in the top 100.

Is it not quite early, or does it always start end of November?

Wow !

I love Christmas music but it all feels about a week early this year. It’s all over the radio and it feels too soon.

I try to refrain until December as by the time Christmas comes I will be sick fed up otherwise.

Is it not quite early, or does it always start end of November?
It feels quite early for me, but I'm sure I said the same last year, so not sure if it is or not. I'll see if I can find the corresponding week last year to compare.

Interestingly for the corresponding week last year, there were even more Christmas songs higher up - Mariah #2, Wham! #5, Pogues #7, Justin Bieber #9.

People may have felt the need to "escape" from lockdown a bit more last year than this year. This year might be more like 2019

Interestingly for the corresponding week last year, there were even more Christmas songs higher up - Mariah #2, Wham! #5, Pogues #7, Justin Bieber #9.

Work nights out wouldn’t have happened last year aswell. I think a lot of people were starting everything early though to try and take away from the MISERY we were all living in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom