UK Charts / Midweeks 2022

They need to rush release Northern Star as a fungal purchase #northernstartothetop

21 April 2022

Official Charts Company approves first-ever NFT for UK charts inclusion

The upcoming new album from The Amazons will be the first ever release containing NFT content to be eligible for the UK's Official Chart.

By George Griffiths
Today the Official Charts Company has approved the first-ever inclusion of an NFT product towards sales on the UK's Official Albums Chart.

British band The Amazons will launch their new album with a 'Digital Boxset Edition' of the vinyl record, which includes extra content delivered digitally as an NFT.

This is the very first time that an NFT can contribute towards the UK charts, an exciting development in the ever expanding digital universe of music.

Martin Talbot, CEO of the Official Charts Company, said of the historic first: "We are delighted to approve this first ever NFT for Official Albums Chart inclusion, it is an incredibly exciting moment for the chart and the UK music scene.

"As far as we are aware, this is the first release to include an NFT component to achieve chart approval anywhere in the world – so congratulations to The Amazons for this fantastic first.

"The UK’s Official Charts have always strived to evolve as music fans change how they buy and consume their favourite music, and this is another example of how we have always sought to reflect the pioneering spirit of the music industry and, in particular, the UK scene.”

An NFT (non-fungible token) is an entirely digital asset that represents real-world objects such as music or art. NFTs can be bought and sold online via cryptocurrency - it is a non-interchangeable unit of data stored in a blockchain.

The NFT offering included with the sale of the new Amazons record will include one animated unreleased photograph taken from a key moment of the band’s past. Each purchaser will receive the same image for the first drop, another for the second and another for the third.

This animated photograph will serve as a fan pass to further, exclusive content and will initially be non-tradeable. The Amazons will oversee three drop periods over the coming months, leading up to the album's release on September 2nd.

The Reading band have enjoyed two UK Top 10 albums to date with The Amazons and Future Dust.

I read about this. You’d think they would focus on getting the streaming numbers a little bit accurate and consistent before adding in BITCOIN purchases

:nononono:

I’m having a bit of a WTF is MDNA? moment.

the voice television GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Reactions: COB
Why do all the definitions or explanations of what NFTs are only leave me even more confused?

IS IT JUST ME?

Why do all the definitions or explanations of what NFTs are only leave me even more confused?

IS IT JUST ME?

I think it’s like the digital version of a commemorative plate, and just as likely to accrue value. Except it doesn’t have to be a plate, it could be a special edition postage stamp, a specially minted coin or a Lilliput Lane house

I think it’s like the digital version of a commemorative plate, and just as likely to accrue value. Except it doesn’t have to be a plate, it could be a special edition postage stamp, a specially minted coin or a Lilliput Lane house

The storage is an environmental catastrophe of some description and the whole thing seems exceptionally precarious - one unpaid hosting fee and it's all gone.

But how does that relate to music? How do you play it? If it's digital, how is it different from a paid download, or streaming?

But how does that relate to music? How do you play it? If it's digital, how is it different from a paid download, or streaming?
I guess you just have it

I mean you wouldn’t eat off a commemorative plate would you?

why not just say "it's a physical release with ENHANCED content" and just avoid confusing people. NFTs are just not "extra material" you give out in a release, even though people are paying for it; takes the whole original meaning away! I've always understood NFTs are unique pieces of digital art that people acquire through ridiculous bidding events.

I just read Manic's text once more and it infuriates me that it doesn't make sense. Just like lolly asks, how is it different? They're just riding the crypto coattails by making it more interesting but in the end, I'd rather have a postcard and a fold-out poster inside the vinyl wrap.
If several people receive the same extra content as you, it doesn't make it unique and it's definitely not worth anything.

I just read Manic's text once more and it infuriates me that it doesn't make sense. Just like lolly asks, how is it different? They're just riding the crypto coattails by making it more interesting but in the end, I'd rather have a postcard and a fold-out poster inside the vinyl wrap.
If several people receive the same extra content as you, it doesn't make it unique and it's definitely not worth anything.
THANK YOU
And what does
NFTs can be bought and sold online via cryptocurrency - it is a non-interchangeable unit of data stored in a blockchain
even mean?

You just know some spotty virgin was masturbating furiously as they typed that

NFTs cannot be bought with fiat money (real money in other words), they have to be acquired through other digital tokens/cryptocurrencies.

Blockchain is a record of time-stamped series of data that is immutable and managed by a network of computers and not by a single centralized system (like government banks for example).

NFTs values are attributed by the artist/creator, hence their name "nun-fungible"; a vinyl is fungible meaning you can replace it with another identical item or mutually interchangeable whereas NFTs aren't, they suffer from high degree volatility.

My avatar is a screenshot of an NFT out of a REAL collection of monkey-themed images but it's worthless since there is an original version and it has an owner and it's worth thousands of dollars (in crypto) because they're scarce or limited. Follow me for more HOT crypto chat.

Somewhat astonished to see X Propaganda are number two in the album midweeks. It’s not like they are a well remembered heritage 80s act but I’m not complaining.

Somewhat astonished to see X Propaganda are number two in the album midweeks. It’s not like they are a well remembered heritage 80s act but I’m not complaining.
They were #2 with 3,763 sales on Monday. By yesterday they were down to #6. No sales figures given, but number 5 was on 4,060, so it looks like they have sold just under 300 copies in two days at best. I've seen a bit of coverage on various retro sites and groups.

#10 last week sold just over 4k, so presumably it will end up around there. Hopefully just inside rather than outside it.

Incidentally, when Harry Styles hits #1 this week, he'll become the 20th #1 album in as many weeks.

Incidentally, when Harry Styles hits #1 this week, he'll become the 20th #1 album in as many weeks.
And seeing fucking Sheeran has a tour edition coming out tomorrow, Harry may well only have one week.

And seeing fucking Sheeran has a tour edition coming out tomorrow, Harry may well only have one week.

Liam Gallagher will have it next week. And the live album he's releasing simultaneously could even be #2 (although streaming will likely spear that).

I just noticed this in the top 40 in the midweeks:

The Kunts - Prince Andrew Is a Sweaty Nonce

:D
!! Happy Jubilee!

The new Spotify charts website breaks down streaming info by city for Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Liverpool, London amd Manchester.

For week ending 2nd June:

Birmingham

01 As It Was - Harry Styles
02 Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush
03 About Damn Time - Lizzo
04 First Class - Jack Harlow
05 Late Night Talking - Harry Styles

Bristol

01 As It Was - Harry Styles
02 Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush
03 Late Night Talking - Harry Styles
04 Music For A Sushi Restaurant - Harry Styles