Voyage - First play reactions (Contains spoilers)

I Can be that Woman reminds a bit of one of those visual description tracks for film.

Tammy looks up, sadness in her eyes.
She stands up and licks the singer’s hand.

I'm not sure which is stranger really. A new Abba album or me buying the new album on release day...strap in (or indeed, on if that's your preference).

I mean this is absolutely Moopy's fault so I'm hauling you through this with me.

Everyone knows ISHFIY already and you all have your opinions. For me, marking a reunion with a song that is quite clearly about that reunion requires 100% commitment from the performers or it will fall absolutely flat.

They pull it off. Just.

"When You Danced With Me" feels very "Super Trouper" - the album rather than the song. The synth is very very catchy and the performance is top notch.
I thought the same about the album it feels like it comes from. And the rest.

"Little Things" requires a certain suspension of belief from the listener and I feel like I lack the sweet tooth required. It's well written but it would be well written for "A Very Shreky Christmas", not an Abba album.

Being in possession of the "Waterloo" rhythm makes life slightly difficult for "Just A Notion". Emphasising the accents in said rhythm for a slightly ska feel makes it harder still. But this is, again, well catchy. Easy to see why it wasn't finished in the 70s tho' - it would have been considered too "Abba By Numbers". In 2021, it has "the classic Abba feel". Horses for courses. I like it.

Gonna hafta get the lyric booklet out here...I've misheard something.

Right, now I've got it...the pets are being referred to rather than being the subject of the song - I wondered what was going on for a moment.

The vocals here are superb, BVs included.

Oh, here we go, first hint that the album hasn't beamed in via time capsule from 1979...

Yes, that was something of a surprise. Plus, they have a dog and a cat? Did these people not watch cartoons growing up?
I think it's all the same dog and you've invented the cat! :D

Unless...

1636120869382.png

This is putting me off "Keep An Eye On Dan"...or maybe it's a wee bit nondescript... :/

Finishing on an orchestral song is kinda full circle. The title feels a bit Brexity but that's a Britain problem. I wouldn't have finished on this but I can see why they have. The harmonies are delightful.

I love Ode To Freedom but I wish it ended with a bit more of a flourish. It sort of just stops. The ABBA discography deserved at least a cymbal crash to go out on!

I love Ode To Freedom but I wish it ended with a bit more of a flourish. It sort of just stops. The ABBA discography deserved at least a cymbal crash to go out on!
Or a children's choir... :zombie:

I'm halfway through my first listen and I feel sorry for the MISERABLE MARY who said this is a TWO STARS. And if she really means it, I feel SAD for her not being able to appreciate this for what it is.

Rank and rate

10 Don't Shut Me Down
09 When You Danced With Me
09 Ode To Freedom
09 Still Have Faith In You
08 Just A Notion
08 No Doubt About It
08 Keep An Eye On Dan
07 I Can Be That Woman
06 Bumblebee
05 Little Things

My rating is pretty much the same. I think the two initial singles are obviously the stand out tracks and some of the others do sound a bit like B-sides but I'm CLAIMING THEM anyway. It's all SOLID and EXACTLY what the brief demanded.

My rating is pretty much the same. I think the two initial singles are obviously the stand out tracks and some of the others do sound a bit like B-sides but I'm CLAIMING THEM anyway. It's all SOLID and EXACTLY what the brief demanded.
Sitting alongside Lovelight, Elaine and That’s Me in the group’s history is no bad place to be. :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom