West Side Story (not starring Camila Cabello)

I like 2 b in america lol

• Total voters
Agog at what a DISASTROUS flop this has been! $23m in the US and already down to #7 having only added $2m last weekend.

I guess it appeals primarily to older viewers who might be avoiding cinemas, but the mismatch with the rave reviews is quite striking…

Agog at what a DISASTROUS flop this has been! $23m in the US and already down to #7 having only added $2m last weekend.

I guess it appeals primarily to older viewers who might be avoiding cinemas, but the mismatch with the rave reviews is quite striking…
Cult classic!

the negative press surrounding Ansel Elgort hasn't done it many favours either. :bruised:

the negative press surrounding Ansel Elgort hasn't done it many favours either. :bruised:
I don't think this is a factor at all tbh. there's not been much of it.

I just think it's West Side Story. a classic musical, and maybe still relevant today, but who's really that excited by it? I think there'd be a lot more interest in some kind of sequel to or continuation of Grease, for example.

I feel sorry for Spielberg - it must be shit when a passion project goes down like a lead balloon even in spite of killer reviews. but maybe the guaranteed Oscar norms and/or where it lands on streaming will give it some kind of second wind.

also, musicals in general are having a horrible time of it in cinemas lately. I think it's a general symptom of cinema becoming a place where only kid-friendly blockbusters are welcomed by the audience. adult movies might have to debut and live on streaming, although the old-school directors won't be having any of that.

I don’t know, Scorsese made the move easily. I think there’s still a place for adult movies in cinema they just need to adjust their expectations (and maybe in return the budgets).

Absolutely loved this.

A proper spectacle, and a cast STACKED with fantastic performers - even (C)Ansel(led) Elgort (sorry). Look up TRIPLE THREAT in the dictionary and I'm pretty sure it'll just be a picture of Ariana de Bose. What a STAR :disco:

Hmm. This was nice I guess, but it struggled to get past the same problem that marrs the original - Tony and Maria are just deathly dull, pancake flat protaganists.

It looked nice, and Ariana DeBose was an absolute star turn as Anita. But it all felt very antiseptic.

Well this utterly rocked my socks in a way I was not expecting!

I mean I love the original and the score is literally all killer, no filler but it was about time it got roughed up a bit and revamped. Loved the new script, the choreography was incredible, the cinematography took you right into the routines and casting was absolutely perfect. Anita (what a camp part) and Riff the standouts, but Tony and Maria were great (they're supposed to be drips!) and Barnardo and surprisingly Chino were excellent too.

I get fed up of hearing "you must see this on the big screen" when half the time that's just not practical, but this one really was worth it for the impact it had.

TENS TENS TENS across the board!

:disco:

Ariana_DeBose_BAFTA_Film-350x350.jpg

I haven't had a second viewing yet. I think I will leave it for a while still, as the memories of the cinema experience are still very fresh.

I have watched that incredible one minute shot of the Sharks entering the gym before the dance a fair few times though :disco:

I haven't had a second viewing yet. I think I will leave it for a while still, as the memories of the cinema experience are still very fresh.

I have watched that incredible one minute shot of the Sharks entering the gym before the dance a fair few times though :disco:
Re-watching and focusing on the cinematography, particularly during 'America' makes me WAIL that this is not the front runner in the category. I mean DUNE over this, REALLY?

Then my very strange flatmate agreed with me but said the Academy Awards are based on nepotism... which I couldn't understand in the context of her implying Denis Villeneuve has better connections and likability than Spielberg. Then went on a random rant about how Donald Sutherland has never been nominated for an Oscar due to "nepotism". But unless Donald Sutherland is either a small time actor or a complete arsehole who has been blacklisted from the industry, I don't think she understands the definition of the word.

:D

The sticking point with the WSS cinematography is the lighting. Janusz Kamiński has a very distinct style which is a bit niche with all the lens flare and how artificial it looks. I think it works really well for a musical, particularly this one, so had no complaints. How it integrates the action into single camera shots is incredible. I mean, pulling this off took weeks and you can see why:

I thought Dune was pretty amazingly shot too though personally. I saw it in IMAX which meant every single image was borderline overwhelming in scope but it still managed to focus your attention on all the right bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom