What did you think of the original "Popstars"?

PercyPig

The Last of Us
popstars_s.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rn5AiPiwsU8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think it's a popular opinion but I actually preferred it to Pop Idol. I liked how Hear'Say already existed well into the airing of the show and it was very much more a documentary about how any group would be made rather than a saturday night TALANT contest. It just seemed more involving to me (even though the whole format was the complete opposite).

NIGEL CALLS KYM FAT
NIGEL GETS HIS HAIR CUT

DRAMA

Last edited:
I liked the fact that they actually threw a lot of money behind the launch. Pure & Simple is a great song/video combo, and The Way To Your Love was top-notch Swedish pop as well. It's a shame both songs have been tarnished by association.

I used to love their second album :shy:

I enjoyed it but the pre-announcement of who made it into the group was totally ruined by the press. That said, it was an interesting look behind the scenes of manufactured pop groups and I think despite the fact that they had less time to get the album together than is now given to the winner of The X Factor, it was quite a solid pop album.

No. The line-up was revealed about a few weeks before the announcement in the show.

I fancied Noel :shy:

I've only met Noel once, very briefly, but I know a few people separately who think the absolute world of him and I'm so pleased that he's happy and working regularly in the West End.

The person who sold the photo of Noel and his boyfriend kissing to whichever tabloid it was is still facing the consequences of his actions.

I was so upset when I couldn't go to see them live in Belfast. :(

They aired the concert though and they sounded really terrible so no loss. I loved their second album too.

Last edited:
I saw them in Cardiff. It was a pretty crap show, as I recall. I took my two nieces who would have both been 7 at the time. They both barely remember it, but do remember seeing Steps there around the same time.

I've only met Noel once, very briefly, but I know a few people separately who think the absolute world of him and I'm so pleased that he's happy and working regularly in the West End.

The person who sold the photo of Noel and his boyfriend kissing to whichever tabloid it was is still facing the consequences of his actions.

Is he OUT yet? I suppose it doesn't matter now...

I've always thought that the demise of Hear'Say is truly one of the most horrible things to happen since the explosion of the reality TV-celebrity obsessed genre.

Villains and heroes have always been the bread and butter of this type of thing, but they were vilified in the most awful way and they didn't even do anything wrong. I remember seeing them perform at a concert with Liberty X and the things people were saying about them were really horrible. It was much more than the pantomime villainy we have now, there was genuine hatred for them.

I'm pretty sure Noel is openly gay yes.

He was in an episode of Gavin & Stacey of course. :D

Is he OUT yet? I suppose it doesn't matter now...

He was out to friends and family before Popstars, but was pressured (as they all are) to not be open about it. And then when the photo of him and his boyfriend appeared in the papers, he was apparently ordered to deny it, as were his family.

At least more than 10 years later there's no issue whatsoever with gay contestants appearing on talent shows.

I loved this show at the time (and didn't see the leaked results before they were revealed on TV so it obviously must have been something you had to seek out) - but I thought right from the start they'd chosen almost COMPLETELY the wrong people. The only one I agreed with was Myleene.

And of course, the others were such a stronger group overall.

I've always thought that the demise of Hear'Say is truly one of the most horrible things to happen since the explosion of the reality TV-celebrity obsessed genre.

Villains and heroes have always been the bread and butter of this type of thing, but they were vilified in the most awful way and they didn't even do anything wrong. I remember seeing them perform at a concert with Liberty X and the things people were saying about them were really horrible. It was much more than the pantomime villainy we have now, there was genuine hatred for them.

I always remember that Frank Skinner interview where Myleene was saying a builder shouted at her in the street something like "Why don't you do us all a favour and fuck off!?" which was a bit :D but it does go with your point that were actually HATED. I'm surprised 'Lovin' Is Easy' did as well as it did, I mean who'd be caught buying that? Everything they tried to do they were vilified for and there seemed to be some people saying that we somehow "owned" them and there was a right to knock them down as fast as they were built them up :manson:

I remember seeing a joblot of 'Lovin' Is Easy' CD singles in Asda retailing for 1p each.

To be fair, I'm sure the same thing happened to 'Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)'...

He was out to friends and family before Popstars, but was pressured (as they all are) to not be open about it. And then when the photo of him and his boyfriend appeared in the papers, he was apparently ordered to deny it, as were his family.

At least more than 10 years later there's no issue whatsoever with gay contestants appearing on talent shows.

Didn't his mum famously say "My son's no poof"?

Poor guy :(

I liked how his method of rebellion was to get really fat. :D

Lovin' Is Easy is still an amazing track.

I recall the follow-up single If You Wanna Roll With Me was at one point going to be Girls Aloud's second single. Thank fuck for Xenomania because it was WOEFUL.

The Almighty mix of The Way To Your Love is simply iconic.

His mum's got loads of gay friends, one of whom I know, so if she did say those words it wasn't because she was ashamed of him in any way, it was because she felt it was in his interests to pretend to be straight. And I also know someone who knew his nan, and he was badly bullied at school, often violently.

The Almighty mix of The Way To Your Love is simply iconic.

FUCK YES! I think I've lost that in various PC MELTDOWNS over the years...can you put it into Hear'Say's RAPIDLY DECLINING FORTUNES, please?

I've always found the popstars show so much more entertaining than Idol/Voice/X Factor etc. The whole watching them live together/recrod/make a music video etc is much more interesting than watching 11 people walk around a stage with (minimal) charisma, belting out overdone songs every week.

I thought it was great! At the time my cousin and I would stay up and watch it each week - it was my first insight into how the industry and process really worked. I had no idea as to why Danny made the band and was really against Myleene making it into the end. Probably because I was a bit young to be looking so it in papers or what have you but the line up was a surprise for me upto the episode. I think I'd very much prefer watching that type programme with the name choosing, video filming process etc than the X Factor each week.

Pure and Simple was grossly over-rated and I remember it getting reeled out for many a talent show performance at the time. The Way To Your Love is one of best tracks to come out of the whole Reality TV popshows.

Apparently it's on YouTube in full, I've discovered thanks to this thread. Sorely tempted.

Fun! Will definitely try and watch before this gets taken down.

Did we know Nasty Nigel is now being accused of sexual assault? I didn't!

The absolute highlight of that thread is Nigel Lythgoe storming into the room demanding that people fess up if they are outside of the requested 18-24 year old age bracket, one woman puts her hand up and he storms over querying if she is seventeen, only for her to reveal she is THIRTY (:o) to a chorus of gaspsā€¦

A couple of thoughts after watching the first two episodes:

It's not THAT dated. There are a few questionable leather jackets and haircuts, but all in all, it's a simple format that reads more documentary than prime time entertainment.

It's interesting how they don't really focus on the eventual winners. We don't see any of them till episode 2 where we see them all, but they have about as much airtime as any other named contestant, and we haven't seen any of Liberty X yet. Reality TV hadn't quite hit its stride yet and the pattern of having a few "characters" focussed on wasn't firmly established yet. It's refreshing having everyone on a even playing field and the viewer having no idea if this is someone they should be focussing on or not. It reminds me of Squid Game.

The judges - Nigel included - are all so NICE. Yes, it was deemed later that this isn't what viewers wanted and we endured 20 years of forced meanness from Simon Cowell et al, but, to use the word again, it's refreshing seeing some actual professional opinions and more real to life situations play out. It definitely leans itself more to the documentary feels than the point and laugh entertainment feel. Even one guy who was objectively awful, Nigel asked quietly away from him, "is this a set up?" Because he couldn't quite believe how bad he was and didn't want to say to his face.

I know we'll see some harsh moments and dated attitudes as they get closer to actually creating the band (i.e. the ones highlighted in the twitter thread!), but I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable and actually quite PLEASANT the audition episodes were.

It's interesting how, despite the prevailing wisdom that they chose the 'wrong' contestants and Liberty X ultimately had a more fruitful run as a pop group, at least 3 of Hear'Say are still to some degree in the public eye. Kym Marsh as an actress, Mylene as a general TV personality and Noel seems to be doing well as a stage performer. Meanwhile all of Liberty X have pretty much totally dropped off the radar.

Meanwhile all of Liberty X have pretty much totally dropped off the radar.

Kevin seems to be doing well with Wet Wet Wet - Heather wouldn't be the support act for just anyone, right :eyes:

WETWETWET_2025_Instagram_1080x1080.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom