Where is Rihanna?

It's cheeky to be honest, putting out a single telling us to work work work work work and then just fucking off for a spliff. For 2 years.

Surely it's been more than 2 years

That was my initial reaction too and yes, it appears "Anti" was released at the start of 2016, but I guess she had singles going on a bit after that throughout the year...

Remember when she was the hardest working woman in pop, releasing an album every year?

Bring back that Rihanna :evil:

Yes but the quality has improved since she stopped doing that and now people are actually thirsty for her to come back. Taking time between albums is what's elevated her from popstar to superstar, whatever comes next will be HUGE

she's just releasing make up lines, tennis shoes and active lounge wear collaborations which seem to bring her more $$$ than music ever could so...

I know it was only an album track but can we please celebrate the greatness of this.

Yes but the quality has improved since she stopped doing that

Has it?

She peaked commercially with Good Girl Gone Bad / Rated R / Loud (well, less so Rated R) and there wasn’t much of a gap between them.

I don’t think huge success is guaranteed at all on her return. I think people want DECENT SONGS and she’s released barely more than a handful of memorable singles this decade.

Has it?

She peaked commercially with Good Girl Gone Bad / Rated R / Loud (well, less so Rated R) and there wasn’t much of a gap between them.

I don’t think huge success is guaranteed at all on her return. I think people want DECENT SONGS and she’s released barely more than a handful of memorable singles this decade.
To be fair, out of her recent-ish singles, I didn't realize "Needed Me", "Love on the Brain", "Bitch Better Have My Money" were somewhat LOCAL (US) hits. They were huge in America and radio played them to death. I would still dispute that "she's released barely more than a handful of memorable singles this decade" , as I genuinely could not name a more prolific singles act of the 2010s aside from Rihanna. Taylor Swift is obviously a bigger draw for album sales/streams these days but it's not like she's churning out "memorable singles" lately either.

From 2005 to 2011 she was brilliant, but looking at the releases since then I don't think I've enjoyed any more than a 5/10 other than Diamonds.

We're heading to three years since she's released new material. Obviously we know she's now living in West London enjoying bespoke independent stores and being under a flight path.

To be fair, out of her recent-ish singles, I didn't realize "Needed Me", "Love on the Brain", "Bitch Better Have My Money" were somewhat LOCAL (US) hits. They were huge in America and radio played them to death. I would still dispute that "she's released barely more than a handful of memorable singles this decade" , as I genuinely could not name a more prolific singles act of the 2010s aside from Rihanna. Taylor Swift is obviously a bigger draw for album sales/streams these days but it's not like she's churning out "memorable singles" lately either.
I don't think they were local hits per se. Their streaming numbers are huge suggesting global success - I just think they didn't achieve high peaks in Europe because radio wasn't playing them to death here (in the case of Bitch and Needed Me especially). But almost everybody knows all three of those songs. They have all entered her cannon of classics.

You couldn't HUM Bitch Better Have My Money or Love On The Brain? :D Two of the most ubiquitous songs of the last 5 years?

Do you listen to Rihanna at all?

Bitch Better Have My Money doesn't really have a tune apart from the hook that is the title

The other one I heard on the album but I certainly couldn't sing along to it. It sounds way too much like Mariah's "Forever" for a start :D

That "Lemon" single with N.E.R.D. and "Sledgehammer" from Star Trek (?) are the last two releases I remember.

I have no idea how they go either and looking at their chart peaks in the UK it doesn’t look like they were hits at all - peaking at #27 and #175.

What do you all need to hum for?

It goes BITCH better HAVE my MONEY!

Just like that. There were probably some trap sounds too like OOOF, YEAP, BRAP and GLUPP

poor WILD THOUGHTS scrapped from her singles history.

I know it was a feature but at least a nice reminder that she was still alive

CUNT Better Have My Money is actually geuinely one of my most HUMMED songs even if I never listen to it these days. It's just so HUMMABLE. I especially like to do the PAY me WHAT you OWE me bit in a really exaggerated whiny voice.

wild thoughts is probably my most hated song of the last decade. i thought maria maria was punishment enough for one lifetime but no. we had to have it again with added "dj" khalid.

i haven't cared for rihanna as a music "artist" in a long while but to say she hasn't done anything of note in the last years is silly. she's still big, people think she's cool and can't wait to "hum" mindnumbing shit like bitch better have my money. i'm sure her comeback will be successful (and meh). if we follow the age rule, beyonce's the next to start flopping and rihanna's turn to fade from relevance will be after that.

i like to think of riri smoking weed, eating kfc, piling on the pounds and not giving a fuck.

The melody actually needs to be GOOD though. I can't actually decide which one is worse, Work or This is What You Came For. The latter being another TURD Calvin Harris shat out in his sleep.

ANTI however was great.

anti was shit apart from kiss it better (10), work (08) and love on the brain (07).

each to their own, i guess.

It just goes to show that she really was an empty vessel only as good as her last song.
Who needs a music career when you're now a makeup entrepreneur and own a cosmetics line worth $3 billion.
rihanna-fenty-beauty-body-lava-release-teaser-00.gif

I can never remember what Needed Me sounds like and even though I rarely listen to radio, I don’t think I’ve ever heard it. Maybe it never was released here.

As for Love on the Brain. I went to have a look on Spotify...this is the first time I ever hear it. The intro does indeed sound a bit like Mariah’s Forever. The rest is shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom