Whitney Houston - Step by Step

‘Cause I’m Taking It…

• Total voters

Rita

User

This has been a bit of an anthem for me for the past while as the words resonate so much with this part of my life right now. What do we think of this Whitney classic?

You know I think this could be my favourite Whitney song. Hotly contested and everything, but it’s a rich melee of that gorgeous opening, gradual build and 90s nostalgia.

I wasn’t really aware of Whitney’s music at the time of its release until about then (apart from IWALY)

Would be a 10, but there's something just a bit CLEAN about it.

I remember it being all over commercial radio, despite not being a huge seller, like Alisha's Attic's I Am, I Feel.

Would be a 10, but there's something just a bit CLEAN about it.
Exactly my thought, and probably the reason why underperformed. I would even say it was a moderate flop given that we are talking about miss Houston.

I popped it on earlier and the first 45 seconds or so are just so quiet.

I would even say it was a moderate flop given that we are talking about miss Houston.
It charted higher in the UK than 'Didn't We Almost Have It All', 'Where Do Broken Hearts Go', 'Run To You' and 'Queen of the Night'. It was on a par with Whitney's chart positions from mid 1993 to 1997. I'd hardly call it a flop. Surely that honour belongs to 'My Name Is Not Susan'?

It charted higher in the UK than 'Didn't We Almost Have It All', 'Where Do Broken Hearts Go', 'Run To You' and 'Queen of the Night'. It was on a par with Whitney's chart positions from mid 1993 to 1997. I'd hardly call it a flop. Surely that honour belongs to 'My Name Is Not Susan'?
Well My name is not Susan was the forth single from that album, so hardly the same. #15 in the US for Step by Step, second single and first uptempo, was surely seen as a flop.

Well My name is not Susan was the forth single from that album, so hardly the same. #15 in the US for Step by Step, second single and first uptempo, was surely seen as a flop.
Wasn't your original point that the single could be considered as being a "moderate flop" by Whitney standards? I'm merely just pointing out that in the UK it charted higher than several other singles she had previously released. She's had bigger 'flops' than this one.

Anything released those days was a hit in the chart, given than they hardly released ANY single here. I mean, 99% of the commercial singles weren't released here anymore, the singles market was dead by then.

That was my point. Case and point Alexia and GALA for starters :)

That's another cuestionable point, charting higher doesn't mean it was a bigger hit. I'm not a chart expert (surely you know a lot more) but I can think of some songs that if you check the chart positions it makes you think that were massive hits when they weren't. Michael & Janet's Scream and Luther & Mariah's Endless love were both top 5 in the US but they underperformed heavily (they climbed as fast as they disappeared). We should have a thread about this.

But yes, you're right about my point. x

Alla, anytime you want to write about the Spanish charts in the 90s I am all but a dry sponge ready to absorb the knowledge.

Alla, anytime you want to write about the Spanish charts in the 90s I am all but a dry sponge ready to absorb the knowledge.
The singles chart (and the #1 songs in particular) in the 90s is the most random and horryfing thing you can imagine. I mean, this was #1 for months. See if you can recognise the tune (the chorus basically) :eyes:

The singles chart (and the #1 songs in particular) in the 90s is the most random and horryfing thing you can imagine. I mean, this was #1 for months. See if you can recognise the tune (the chorus basically) :eyes:

I have not a clue. Musically it's very Wave Race 64 meets Sunset Beach. Oh, and can you write about the extent to which Gala, Gina G and Alexia were successful in Spain? I did try to hint before 🤣

Oh you have to know, from 1''02" even Soldi would know that and he wasn't even born back then.

Sorry for Gina G but Gala and Alexia were in another league when we talk about success here, if I had an euro for every time I danced to their hits while going out I could buy twitter too.

THIRTY TWELVE OUT OF TEN

(Possibly) the best song ever by one of the greatest artists of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom