Why did 'Say Somethin' flop in the US?

I don't really get it. I mean it was a stand-out at the time and fatigue hadn't set in or anything. I'd have thought it would have been a surefire top tenner, non?

Remember it was going to be the first single at one stage!

I dunno, it came at the end of a long album campaign and isn't ALL THAT in my opinion.

I think it's a bit SUBTLE to be a hit single! I like it a lot but it always screamed album track. plus she'd had her four hits (five stateside).

Oh yeah I forgot about 'Get Your Number'
Which was... meh really.

Oh DAMN!
Club 'bout to close in a minute
Can I GET your number baby
So we can go GET IN IT

Like That was released in early 2005, wasn't it? This was released in 2007, after the re-release and after Don't forget about us! We won in the end.

I love it and its underperformance also surprised me. I was secretly not TOO fussed it underperformed because I was a bitter "Sorry" had just flopped (the misogyny of pitting two women against another, I know).

I actually don't think it is too subtle. This kind of minimalist Neptunes R&B pop mid-tempo was all the rage at that time. I think it ultimately underperformed because she just didn't really promote it like she had the prior singles? Plus diminishing returns etc. The song did decent at radio but probably worse in sales.

I slid into that DM remix many a time back in the day. I was never more hyped for her than then even if this album is somewhat a no no for me now.

I adore it.

But yeah, just fatigue I think. They’d been so many big hits from the album already that I think it was just one too far. I’m surprised airplay didn’t send it higher, but digital had made a big impact by its release and with the album having sold so much (biggest of 2005 in the US wasn’t it?) I guess that would’ve meant lower sales relatively of the track.

I never thought it sounded like a hit single.

I'm also not sure that she enjoyed her experience of working with the Neptunes. She never went back to them again afterwards. Same with Kanye.

The Morales Mix is probably my preferred method of consumption. It was one her last remixes where she gave us new, clear, resonant vocals.

I never thought it sounded like a hit single.

I'm also not sure that she enjoyed her experience of working with the Neptunes. She never went back to them again afterwards. Same with Kanye.
Whereas M-DOLLA did and has gone back to them. Curious :eyes:

Whereas M-DOLLA did and has gone back to them. Curious :eyes:
I guess one needs to hire super-producers to try to stay relevant, whereas the other is talented enough to continue to deliver career-bests on her latest album.

I guess one needs to hire super-producers to try to stay relevant, whereas the other is talented enough to continue to deliver career-bests on her latest album.
maxresdefault.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom