Worst Places to Live + derelict buildings + other fascinating urban architecture + brutalism

This Chinese SPLENDOUR featured in the Guardian today

6000.jpg

God I'm so into that. Thinking of starting an unobtainable crush on it.

Skopje has plenty of brutalist and modernist buildings cause it was destroyed by a big earthquake in the 60s and then rebuilt by Kenzo Tange.
I've just done a Google image search for 'Skopje architecture' and now I need to go for a wank.

Buzludzha Monument is peak Communist block architecture. Nothing beats it.

Aren’t all those ancient statue accounts psy-ops by right wing fascists?

Obviously I’m still obsessed with those insane housing estates in the Parisian suburbs.

What do we think of this building in Romania? It's the home of the Union Of Romanian Architects.

LbsJOSyoThX2WGd_RzeLhN9fIf2xkrx9mXpdbzKbpx0.jpg

the-union-of-romanian.jpg

For the second case, I know that in the 1950s a Monastery sold the church and the surrounding plot to the government so that they could build the ministry of education but they weren't allowed to bring down the little church cause it was classified as a monument of the 16th century. The result was this hideous compromise.

I suspect that in Romania's case, the intentions were better, but still.

Better, but I still feel sorry about the original building.
I'm not sad. I believe in preservation, but the original doesn't appear massively special, plus we must evolve architecture for the future and sometimes that involves sacrifice.

Of course sometimes it's total shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom