Would you change your sexual orientation if you could?

Would you...?

• I'm homosexual and would remain that way.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • I'm homosexual and would 'switch' to straight if I could.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm straight and would remain that way.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I'm straight and would 'switch' homosexual if I could.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I'm asexual and would remain that way.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm asexual and would 'switch' to straight or homosexual if I could.

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

KindaCool

Footsteps are following me
I know it's a confrontational question, but it's probably in the Top 10 questions I most frequently ask myself (the other 9 to come in a KC Countdown soon).

The "being gay is a choice" claim is so central to the socially conservative. And no matter how redundant or baseless the statement may be, we can't mistake that it has a real effect on us. Especially in light of the recent stuff with the new Supreme Justice.

And I'll be the first to say it, but I find myself wishing I WAS straight sometimes. Not enough to make me feel 'insecure' or whatever, but it's enough to make me feel guilty. I dunno...it's complicated.

So...WOULD YOU?

If you had asked me maybe 5 or 6 years ago, I would have said yes, I want to switch. However, being gay is so accepted these days, and I quite like the position that we don't have norms to follow, such as get a wife and kids. I can very much carve my own path without preconceptions on what my adult life should be. I also feel less pressure to have the "right" interests, which my straight friends, and definitely one in particular, seem very driven by.

Having said that, if I died and was reborn and was given a character creator style choice on what I was to be next, then it would definitely be a straight white man in a Nordic country.

Not at all.

I remember being 18 and in therapy and the therapist kept asking if I thought [insert issue here] was because I was gay and I found it very frustrating. I never had any issue with being gay, or felt it made my life worse in any meaningful way.

As I have said elsewhere I have started contending with the fact 'gay' probably doesn't cover who I am in terms of sexuality and gender. It's an easy cover-all term that I took up based on the fact there wasn't a better term on offer. It's not wrong, but I'm sure it's more complicated than that. I'd probably identify more with 'queer' with an unexplored layer of gender fluidity, as far as my current understanding of myself goes.

Imagine being a straight horny man and not having the option to go cruising for random women in dark corridors. How do you all even cope.

Not at all. Sometimes I think I'd change my biological sex if I could, but I've never wanted to be a straight man, bar maybe when I first started fancying boys, and even then I think I was more bothered by not fitting in with straight boys.

Nah, as soon as I realised that I liked men, I was fine with that and never had an issue so I don't see why I'd change. Being gay seems more fun and I'm happy to have an accepting family. Even most of the bullying in school I'd say was not sexuality related so I really see no reason to switch on a personal level.

Yeah I just assumed homosexual was the English term for not heterosexual. Is that not the case?

I would absolutely never choose to be a straight man. They’re absolutely repulsive unless they’re on Moopy.

NEVER IN A MILLION FUCKING YEARS!!!!

saw this the other day and thought of you x

CAKEBOY_14.jpg

I always took the homo in homosexual to mean man. I have studied sexuality for 4 years and never been corrected! Either way I would never call a lesbian 'homosexual', it somehow seems derogatory.

As a word it's been usurped in popular usage by gay. Which is of course an inaccurate word to define all men who have sex with men.

Hm dunno. I think being (I don't know, whatever version of bisexual is also open to non-binary and trans) is quite nice, and I managed for several years just masking off all but the straight bits in public.

I had a gay male friend at uni who was the first in our circle to get a civil partnership and has adopted a child. He said he would take a pill tomorrow if it meant he weren't gay, which made me very sad. It's part of our very being. I wouldn't change it. There's nothing else remotely interesting about me!

Reactions: COB
Uhh, homosexual just means being sexually attracted to the sex the same as yours. I thought everybody knew this?

I DIDN’T. Why does no-one tell us these things? Not even the dignity of a HANDY PAMPHLET!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom