Your Kim Wilde TOP 10 2022

I can't stop thinking today about whether life would have been different if "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love" had been the first single from "Love Moves"...

Kids In America and You Keep Me Hanging On are of course iconic but both played so much that I don’t have them on my list but I’d be fuming if she left them out of a live set.

1 Cambodia
2 You Came
3 Never Trust A Stranger
4 The Second Time
5 Real Life
6 House of Salome
7 Sparks
8 Water On Glass
9 Hey Mister Heartache
10 Birthday

It was nice that her serviceable cover of If I Can’t Have You returned her to the top 20 in the early 90s, there were a few covers of that ILK doing the rounds at the time, Bananarama’s ‘More More More’ springs to mind.

Actually just checked and Love Is Holy had returned her to the top 20 twelve months earlier, I misremembered it as a longer gap.

EVERY night I HOPE AND PRAY
Nothing takes your LOVE AWAY
I LIE AWAKE just to WATCH YOU BREATHE
LOVE IS HOLY WHEN YOU LAY WITH ME

1654808251012.png

It was nice that her serviceable cover of If I Can’t Have You returned her to the top 20 in the early 90s, there were a few covers of that ILK doing the rounds at the time, Bananarama’s ‘More More More’ springs to mind.

I love her "If I Can't Have You". It's also her biggest hit that she ENTIRELY IGNORES when playing live :D

I love her "If I Can't Have You". It's also her biggest hit that she ENTIRELY IGNORES when playing live :D

Actually, thinking about it, that's "Another Step", but that makes more sense- though surely she could rope Ricky in if she needed to

I'm still FAIRLY SURPRISED they made a FAIRLY ELABORATE (for the time) video for a song that was only released in Europe

It was a reasonable MISSTEP from the UK record company for sure

Anyone remember Kim's starring turn in The Who's Tommy in London's Glittering West End? This song was always one of my faves.

It's where she met her husband no less too :disco:

I went to see it TWICE for LADY KIM

Can I just check on people’s fondness for The Second Time: how much of this is to do with the song itself vs the campness of the video?

I love it, especially her specificity about sea green CURTAINS. It was on my long list mainly for the most nonsensical video narrative of all time, the WIG, and the fact it has about 18 verses and it threatens never to end.

What makes it such a hit here?!

Can I just check on people’s fondness for The Second Time: how much of this is to do with the song itself vs the campness of the video?

I love it, especially her specificity about sea green CURTAINS. It was on my long list mainly for the most nonsensical video narrative of all time, the WIG, and the fact it has about 18 verses and it threatens never to end.

What makes it such a hit here?!
The song. I knew the song before I ever saw the video. It’s the drama, the attention to detail in the lyrics, the attitude and as @Christian said the SYNTH ATTACK (as well as the bass for me).

All of the above (the increasingly mammoth synth especially) but also its somewhat minor hit status and how it is a little more than slightly inappropriate.

My first exposure to The Second Time would have been on The Singles Collection; since then, it has always been a favourite.

I've also never worked out why the Americans couldn't cope with the title and had to change it to "Go For It'...

I guess GO FOR IT is more American style though isn’t it? Like very “just do it” Nike style

Ugh it needed a Nike tie in didn’t it

A quick check tells me ‘The Second Time’ was indeed Top 10 in both Germany and Switzerland. #justice

Not justice enough! It should have been an uberhit but I imagine her stock was fairly low at that point and I doubt it got much airplay here.

I do remember around You Keep Me Hangin' On that it was considered a big comeback. The last couple of albums had underperformed badly (in the UK at least) and I have heard Ricky acknowledge that her star had fallen in this country and whatever they did, it wasn't going to score. The whole Teases and Dares era was a massive change of face- the whole "futuristic cyberspace queen" image was very different to the "sexy girl next door" she'd cultivated to that point, Kim herself said she was never that comfortable with it (she hated the album cover) and she was mocked in the press for it. It's interesting to note that the biggest hit from Teases and Dares was Rage to Love, which was a) the most out of character song on the album, b) saw a total abandonment of the cyberspace queen thing and c) musically completely harked back to the theme of her first album. I think they call it "damage limitation" these days...

Also, if you fancy background on any of her stuff, may I suggest the wonderfully comprehensive fan site Wilde Life. Here's a link to the Teases and Dares page.

(Note that if you're looking for write-ups, their under Discography and then when you select an album, you have to click again on the "Read more about XXX on Wilde Life" bit before you find the actual write up. It took me a while!)

I'm not a MASSIVE fan but did have most of her 80's and early 90's albums until I Marie Kondo'ed them to the charity shops.

01. Never Trust A Stranger
02. Say You Really Want Me
03. European Soul
04. The Second Time
05. Who Do You Think You Are
06. Cambodia
07. If I Can't Have You
08. You Keep Me Hangin' On
09. Water On Glass
10. Love Is Holy

Just won “Love Is” on vinyl for £15 on eBay to round out my Kim vinyl collection :disco:

Love Is turned up yesterday and I gave it an immediate spin. I haven't played it in a little while and it really is underrated- as was its predecessor, Love Moves. There's some great little pop songs on both.

Love Is Holy is HILARIOUSLY out of place, though- and fuck me, naming the album after it was a stretch :D

I'd actually "gone off" her by the time 'Love Is Holy' was released. It was the Belinda Carlisle/Rick Nowels mentions that caused me to buy it. I saw her at G-A-Y (or was it Bang then?) promoting the album that came after it and I bought that one too. I was easily led by Kim.

Love Is Holy is HILARIOUSLY out of place, though- and fuck me, naming the album after it was a stretch :D
I guess Belinda took Rick N back after that one song and didn't allow him any more time with Kimmie? :eyes:

So maybe naming the album after it was a passive aggressive dig at our BEL?

I’ve finally started reading the Pop Don’t Stop book as it’s £3.99 on Kindle right now. It’s really not what I expected- it’s basically the stories behind each of the songs and albums interspersed with quotes and interviews from those in the know.

Oh, and also, it’s really good!

I bought it recently at £3.99 as well! I'd like a little more information on some of the songs but there are interesting tidbits, and at that price it is very worthwhile.

I always presumed it would be a biography.

I wonder if she’ll ever bother to write her own. I imagine it would be fairly interesting if she didn’t leave the good bits out…(looking at YOU, Keren and Sara).

1 View from a bridge
2 Chaos at the airport
3 Take me tonight
4 Cambodia
5 House of Salome
6 Wendy Sadd
7 It’s Here
8 Love is Holy
9 You came
10 Perfect Girl

but tbh it changes every week .. SELECT is my favourite album of hers though

Saw her last night in the company of MOOPY ROYALTY as I bumped into the delightful @jivafox who I managed a quick hello to and saw @Suedey briefly in the distance as I was exiting the car park singing The Second Time rather loudly with my gays :disco:

The concert was amazing, she was fantastic, but fuck me, the Bournemouth crowd was hard work. It took 3/4 of the gig for them to get up and dance (not helped by the terrible old school usherettes trying to get people to sit down) and at one stage I got moaned at for dancing in my seat because the person behind couldn’t see behind my rather large 6’3 frame folloloping about. (I replied with “have you never actually been to a gig before?” and glared, which seemed to shut them up).

Anyway, the set list. It was brilliant- all the usual hits but some bits she’s missed out for a while (Rage to Love, Love is Holy), some absolute stocking fan favourites (Can’t Get Enough, Million Miles Away, Perfect Girl, THE TOUCH :disco: ) and some neat little touches like mashing The Second Time up with Pop Musik and giving Rick the chance to have a vocal, which was lovely.

It was also a really good opportunity in a smaller venue and a full set to realise what a good live vocalist she is, something I often forget and think is overlooked.

Last edited:
Sounds amazing. I was very impressed with her vocals at Hoopla. I must see if the Southend date still has tickets.

Glad you had a fabulous night Shee. I haven't seen her before but I'm going to the Palladium show on Tuesday, the set list looks pretty perfect I have to say. Good to hear that the Pop Musik mash up works, I did wonder about that - hopefully The Second Time is not curtailed too much, I need to experience the full glory.

I'm in the very back row of the stalls, so will be free to shuffle about as I please. What time did she come on? I am going solo so can do without China Crisis and an interval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom