Your top 10 bands of all time

Ugh I know this is in the REAL MUSIC forum but obviously NON REAL MUSIC bands are allowed. Just not, like, boybands and stuff.

I don't think I have any other ones, but I did once buy a Muse album when I was drunk

Right well I suppose I'd better start. Once upon a time The Smiths would have been number 1. No more thanks to the disgusting racist human that is Stephen Patrick Morrissey.

1. SUEDE
2. R.E.M.
3. Mansun
4. Goldfrapp
5. Erasure
6. Depeche Mode
7. Django Django
8. Garbage
9. Arcade Fire
10. Placebo

Never quite know how to define the difference between boy/girl bands and singing groups. Like The Temptations didn’t play instruments but The Bay City Rollers did and could still be defined as a boy band.

1. Orange Juice
2. The Smiths
3. The Go-Betweens
4. Interpol
5. The Cure
6. The Organ
7. Pulp
8. Kraftwerk
9. Pet Shop Boys
10. errrrm oh fuck My Life Story OR The National

1. Orange Juice
2. The Smiths
3. The Go-Betweens
4. Interpol
5. The Cure
6. The Organ
7. Pulp
8. Kraftwerk
9. Pet Shop Boys
10. errrrm oh fuck My Life Story OR The National

I feel I should confess at this point that I've not fully cancelled The Smiths :shy:

this is a weird one. i guess i don't really like bands? still i coudln't stop at 10 and just kept on listing. i guess i'm just not crazy about bands.

01 goldfrapp
02 abba
03 the national
04 dee-lite
05 radiohead
06 tennis
07 the knife
08 blondie
09 cut copy
10 chromatics

such a queen too. i wonder how many real music people that list might offend :D
here's a few more!

cigarettes after sex
air
lcd soundsystem
fleet foxes
metronomy
ladytron
röyksopp
sally shapiro
daft punk
pet shop boys
portishead
arcade fire
everything but the girl

i was listening to the saturdays as i came up with that. ooh massive attack. never been crazy about them.

i forgot tame impala. and chic. and probably a dozen more really obvious ones.

the first to mention stones and beatles gets a special prize!

OMG I LOVE THIS THREAD

but it's really difficult to be honest

hmmm

I mean if it counted (and in some circles it would), Prince & NPG would be #1 and Prince & Revolution would be #2, but let's PLAY FAIR.

1. Groove Armada
2. Everything But The Girl
3. Massive Attack
4. A Tribe Called Quest
5. Eurythmics
6. The Beatles
7. Goldfrapp
8. TLC
9. En Vogue
10. Brand New Heavies

With London Grammar, Jungle and Haim coming up the rear but too early to include them.

Saw Skunk Anansie last year (FUCK YOU COVID19) and they were one of the best live acts I've ever seen. Skin is a force to be reckoned with.
In the UK we don’t make enough of how much of a trailblazer she’s been (or Joan Armatrading for that matter). Skin is iconic on stage.

yes, groove armada have been incredibly productive and consistent. i'd add pink floyd to my list.

i only know a couple of kraftwerk albums (both great) so feel a bit phoney about adding them. need to catch up.

i think with a lot of bands i like (arcade fire, the smashing pumkins, depeche mode, pulp, skunk anansie, no doubt, placebo) i love a couple of albums and move on.

I tried to think about this seriously and really struggled, mainly because some of my favourites really stretch the definition of "band" but also because crediting in jazz is bullshit - a quartet/quintet can stay together for 7 albums but they're all credited to the "leader".

Leaving a few off for ASFM reasons..

Deee-Lite
Siouxsie & the Banshees
Hole
ABBA
Curve
Depeche Mode
Smashing Pumpkins
Pulp
Garbage
Chic
New Order
Pet Shop Boys
Ladytron
Human League
Dragonette
Saint Etienne
My Bloody Valentine
No Doubt
The Wannadies
Teenage Fanclub

It's tough not to include some acts who have albums I adore, but who I didn't stick around with for the rest (see The Cardigans and Placebo). Also not including duos or vocal groups as bands.

1. Bubble And The Skweekz
2. Turnip Turnip
3. The Antidisestablishmentarianists
4. Les Voixs Des Merde
5. The Floppy Fecunds
6. Bob Marley And The Whalers
7. Jizz
8. Rubber Gullets
9. Single Tit
10. Iron Madeley

Jizz way too low

What are yours though @gggggg ?

I mean... its kind of impossible... but looking at it from a nostalgia perspective and without really thinking about it

In no order

Pavement
My Bloody Valentine
Sonic Youth
Minor Threat
Dinosaur Jr
Beach House
The Walkmen
Godflesh / Jesu
Fucked Up
The Body

Fuck... Big Black too