Alanis Morissette - 'Such Pretty Forks In The Road' (and 'Mix') OUT NOW!

Smiling really is gorge, and a very fitting opening to the album.

Ablaze. She uses her voice so well on this one. It’s definitely one of my faves.

Was Reasons I Drink recorded specifically for the musical? The piano riff is so Sara Bareilles it hurts

I really love the raw vocal of Diagnosis. I live for the strings on this one.

Missing the miracles is a bit of a dud for me. :(

With Missing the Miracle I like the lyrics a lot more than the music at the minute but it'll grow.

You call this brick and mortar,
I call this sacred skin,
You see the figure skater,
I fear the ice is thin and
The light is all around us
But when we spar, it's dim,
We're right here in the middle
Missing the miracle.

:(

Love 'Missing the Miracle' - it gives me Under Rug SWEPT-era vibes.

This is very much a lockdown album actually for those days where you can't move and you just have to reach for the wine and are feeling introspective. Taylor gave us the outrospective album with a more philosophical/story-telling aspect but only Alanis can capture the edge of a nervous breakdown. :disco:

RECKONING ugh - I think it'll be in my all time Alanis top 10

SANDBOX LOVE
is a bit more upbeat - could have been from the So-Called Chaos era minus all the profanity of course.

09 Smiling
10 ABLAZE
09 Reasons I Drink
10 Diagnosis
08 Missing the Miracle
08 Losing the Plot
10 RECKONING
07 Sandbox Love

HER - weakest link for me. Would've been a B-side back in the day.

09 Smiling
10 ABLAZE
09 Reasons I Drink
10 Diagnosis
08 Missing the Miracle
08 Losing the Plot
10 RECKONING
07 Sandbox Love
06 Her

Is anyone else in this listening party?

Oh well, more posts for my POTW position next week :disco:

And yes of course NEMESIS is a total highlight. I love how it builds and builds :disco:

09 Smiling
10 ABLAZE
09 Reasons I Drink
10 Diagnosis
08 Missing the Miracle
08 Losing the Plot
10 RECKONING
07 Sandbox Love
06 Her
09 Nemesis

09 Smiling
10 ABLAZE
09 Reasons I Drink
10 Diagnosis
08 Missing the Miracle
08 Losing the Plot
10 RECKONING
07 Sandbox Love
06 Her
09 Nemesis
09 Pedestal

So yes it is by far her most depressing album yet and quite an unexpected turn from her but I would say it is up there with her very best work. Reasons I Drink was actually not representative of the rest of the album at all - perhaps thematically yes but musically it is a lot more downbeat overall. It's pretty harrowing/tough listening in certain parts but, this being Alanis, there is still light at the end of the tunnel. Most of the album works very well as a unit and apart from a few handful tracks I don't think these girls would wish to play with others in her back-cat on a Spotify playlist.

Still, very good/excellent album.

As someone who hasn't listened to an Alanis album since the one with "Everything" (it wasn't) you've all inspired me to put this on. Hoping for life changing, epiphany-inducing lyrics, feeling her despair to my very core, and something as remotely beguiling as personal fav "You Owe Me Nothing in Return".

Also, I'm currently wallowing in feelings of shame and self-disgust having broken down and purchased the Lana poetry book last night which I may have already listened to 6 times. I think I deserve this.

I'm so proud of her for writing this album. It's so great to know she still has it. She's really been a constant in my life since I was 8 and I'm constantly inspired by her songwriting and honesty. She talks a lot of shit too of course, but somehow she distills all the new age stuff into amazing songs (except Win and Win).

IGUANA RATE upon 3 listens

10 Reckoning
Sorry but I'm upgrading Reckoning to a 10
alan2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom