Arctic Monkeys - There'd Better Be A Mirrorball

VoR

Take it or leave it
This debuted at #1 on UK Spotify yesterday, which mildly surprises me as they haven't had a big hit in a while, although their older stuff does tend to clog up the Spotify charts.

Bit boring TBH. I don't think this sound particularly suits his voice.

Yeah I didn’t really care for the last album or this song much. I’m sure they’d hate to hear this, but I wish they’d go back to their old sound

505 has been charting in the top 40 of US Spotify and is probably their biggest hit ever here now?

Going to have to get on my REAL MUSIC high horse about Tranquility Base.

Yes it was a huge departure from the big guitar riffs and dancefloor bobblers synonymous with the band but musically it was a triumph. I've probably listened to it more than any of their other albums.

Dig into AM and they've got a lot of history playing bollards and softer numbers. This is a beautiful collection:

Most of the people complaining about this release were the ones complaining about Tranquility, and they're the people who like indie by numbers and wear Weekend Offender jackets. Soz you can't spill Carling to this one again m8. Maybe go listen to the Reytons.

I was never that into AM but I thought "Tranquility..." was really good. 4 Out Of 5 is the one that stayed with me probably because that was the first single and had the shock of the new. I felt they'd made their "This Is Hardcore" and it was a gutsy move. This is fine, very Radio 2 but in a good way. I'll always have time for any band who tear up their own rule book every once in a while.

It has nothing to do with a change in their usual sound for me. This could be by anybody and I would still think it was a dirge.

I was never that into AM but I thought "Tranquility..." was really good. 4 Out Of 5 is the one that stayed with me probably because that was the first single and had the shock of the new. I felt they'd made their "This Is Hardcore" and it was a gutsy move. This is fine, very Radio 2 but in a good way. I'll always have time for any band who tear up their own rule book every once in a while.

Constantly churning out the same old shite must be soul crushing as an artist and lets be honest, it rarely ends well.

I just don't think he really has the voice for this Lee Hazelwood/crooner sound he seems to be going for on this new one.

But then I'm far from the target audience for this.

Never been a fan but this new one is very interesting. Very cinematic, very Bond-esque.

That reminds me of something. Something from the early 80s, the Specials or the Jam or something…

I've never actually investigated them beyond the singles before, but this album is such a VIBE and a MOOD and I'm quite into it!

this album is 70s lounge music. I quite like it! Body Paint is great.

that said, the songs themselves are not particularly memorable and all blur into one with the same very loose approach to melody. but in a sub-Father John Misty kinda way, QUITE GOOD.

For 70s lounge music, the Broken Bells album is MILES ahead of this. But then the AMs have always jarred with me. I don’t think I like his voice.

For 70s lounge music, the Broken Bells album is MILES ahead of this. But then the AMs have always jarred with me. I don’t think I like his voice.
schitts-creek-me-too.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom