DontPayUK

big ron

Chief Super Moderator
Pronouns
He/him
I've seen our Floppet posting about this but wondering if anyone else has seen it?

Essentially a mass civil disobedience-type affair encouraging everyone to simultaneously not pay their energy bills at the same time in protest to the spiralling costs.

I think its potentially brilliant.

This "movement" was big here during the crisis years, people would refuse to pay bills, taxes, everything asked to pay from any sort of authority especially the state by sending some questionable legal paperwork that they have devised per circumstance to prove they don't have to, the most ridiculous of all was refusing to pay the tolls on the national highways, with them giving the finger to the toll employees and stepping out of the car lifting the barriers themselves. From what i hear they all got a camera shot and a fine posted at their address eventually.

Below is my reasoning, I don't think it's going to make much of a difference but I'm going to do it anyway because I can.

Even if I cancel my DD I'll still be able to pay monthly for the energy I use, I'm not considering not paying at all. It just means that my energy company can't bank on the £400-odd credit I currently have, which is increasing monthly because I'm paying more by DD due to their estimate of what I'll owe them in 12 months' time. Once that's been used up I'll pay them for what I use every month, when I've used it. There are a lot of people who won't be able to afford to pay for energy this winter and it's purely down to the Government letting Ofgem dispose of the energy price cap and give the energy companies the power to increase their prices every three months should they so desire, and oh boy do they desire it! The fact that these companies have posted record profits in the quarter since the April rise is just more evidence that the peasants are being screwed over once again to fill the pockets of shareholders and rich people who don't need to worry that they can't afford to run their fridge to keep their insulin cold. Imagine how hard it's going to be for people on a fixed income with card meters (the elderly, sick, vulnerable and disabled mainly). If you're poor or in rented accommodation the default option is often a card meter where energy costs considerably more than it would on a DD tariff, if you've no money left to topup your card you'd have no choice but to go without. Gas and electricity shouldn't be treated as a luxury, access to power, heat and light should be a basic human right in a first-world country.

If the Conservative Government really cared about the people of the UK it would be a simple matter to veto the next proposed rise in October. Instead we've spent weeks listening to leadership candidates' daft ideas of how many quids they'll give us/which taxes they will lower for us to help out like they're doing us a favour and we should be grateful. These companies aren't going to go bust because even at the rates they're charging now they're raking in profit hand over fist. My tinfoil-hat-wearing side wonders how many high-up in our Government are shareholders in these companies. They blame Russia vs Ukraine war for the prices but that's just a downright lie perpetuated by the MSM, nowhere else on the planet have prices increased to such a degree as ours have.

Something must be done and, from my personal point of view, I'd rather start with cancelling a direct debit which, lets face it is just an annoyance to them, in the hope that it will make them do the right thing, and at the very least stop the October rise, than go straight in with civil unrest. This Government threw the sick, poor and elderly under the bus during Covid and they got away with it whilst filling their own pockets with taxpayers' money for dodgy PP equipment deals, let's not let them get away with it again because more poor people will die.

Pretty much spot on. I think a lot of people are getting a bit confused about the concept and thinking its a one way ticket to debtsville. As a perpetual late payer due to my sporadic income, I know quite well that you can easily take the piss with non payment for a few months before they as much as send a letter. I've always late with things, moving DD dates around and yet I have a credit rating good enough to have over £15k available on my credit card. :D

We are lucky, we should be able to cope with the price hike, but I'd rather it didn't happen and for some people its going to be fucking traumatic. Hopefully, people will keep pledging to do it to the point the government has to intervene before October comes around.

My fixed rate just came to end, my last quarterly energy bill was £75. They’re quoting 5 times that to fix at a new rate! I’m going to take my chances on a variable tariff.

Question for you all. I am on a fixed rate until 2024. If the price cap rises which they are talking about in October? Will the unit prices still go up even though I am on a fixed rate? I know generally they wouldn’t with normal price increases, but not sure about the price cap? I pay stupid amounts on gas and electric which is fine, but was just curious to see if I would have been better staying on a variable rate if prices go up anyway on a fixed rate.

Question for you all. I am on a fixed rate until 2024. If the price cap rises which they are talking about in October? Will the unit prices still go up even though I am on a fixed rate? I know generally they wouldn’t with normal price increases, but not sure about the price cap? I pay stupid amounts on gas and electric which is fine, but was just curious to see if I would have been better staying on a variable rate if prices go up anyway on a fixed rate.

The "price cap" refers to the rates that providers can charge for their default tariffs (inc. standing charge).

If you're on a fixed deal (you lucky bastard) then your unit prices will not change.

The "price cap" refers to the rates that providers can charge for their default tariffs (inc. standing charge).

If you're on a fixed deal (you lucky bastard) then your unit prices will not change.

Thank you darling. I don’t really understand it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom