Eurovision 2023 News

Are you going?

• Total voters
Do we actually know that London submitted a bid in the first place?

Reactions: GNL
I honestly think Glasgow is the best bet. The arena is a decent size and there's the exhibition centre right next door which could host the press, events and all the backstage stuff. There are about 10 hotels around the vicinity of the arena, so all the delegations can walk to the arena. The BBC Studios are literally 2 minutes walk away over a bridge on the other side of the River Clyde. Plus they have the Armadillo next door they could use as overspill - kinda like they did in Stockholm with the Tele2 Arena where they screened the contest along with some performances.

I'd say Birmingham and Liverpool are the other front runners, though Birmingham were the last hosts and just hosted the Commonwealth Games, so I think they've had plenty.

Manchester and Leeds could be great but the venues suffer from no other space syndrome, with the venues surrounded by carparks and other buildings, with no space for press, backstage and other stuff.

Sheffield has no chance (sorry @Soldi), and is a filler queen along with Newcastle

These are the current odds:

View attachment 11878
I don’t actually want it in Sheffield, the only benefit is that I can stay at my parents for the week :D They do hit all the requirements though so I’m not surprised it’s on the shortlist. The council are teaming up with Barnsley and Rotherham (the glamour!) councils, I imagine to meet the hotel room requirements.

With Birmingham having a major event this year already, and obviously hosting the last time Eurovision was held here, I can’t see it being there. You’d hope they’d want to put another city in the spotlight instead.

I know a lot has been mentioned about a lack of space for delegations/press centre for Manchester, I’d imagine that’d be a problem for Leeds as well, isn‘t the First Direct next to the Ring Road?! Manchester would be workable, there’s the Stoller Hall across the road which I’ve seen as a suggestion, there’d be space in the arena if they have a little fiddle about. I suppose it depends how much the BBC want it there.

Last edited:
Theme confirmed:

oscars-1963-crmonie-des-oscars-en-1963-joan-crawford-year-who-accepted-B7Y1WP.jpg

Is there any good data on where Ukrainians live in the UK?

Don't know how big Glasgow/Scotland's Ukrainian community was, but we're going ALL IN on the resettlement scheme

Any official data? Every city seems to have made claims but we need HARD FACTS and HYPERLINKS.

Last edited:
Any official data? Every city seems to have made claims but we need HARD FACTS.
I came across a list a couple of weeks ago and it was more or less just a ranking of the UK’s biggest cities.

Cities across the UK repainting Chinatowns in the colours of the Ukraine flag to bolster their bids AS WE SPEAK.

Last edited:
And of course, like death and taxes, the inevitably of a Cheryl Baker media round is upon us once again

Bless, this is a pal of mine :disco:

(Naturally I hope his dreams of Glasgow hosting are CRUSHED like a padded bag filled with Anne-Marie David rarities)

My cousin is working on the Liverpool bid. I feel sorry for whoever wins it because they’ll have half the time to organise it versus every other city every other year.

Eurovision have told the cities that they need to blanket block hotels and venues for 6 weeks, even though all major cities already have tonnes of events booked over the period.

Ironically the biggest factor will be football. The season runs late this year because of the World Cup in December, and will clash. That will be a benefit to Sheffield who have smaller clubs. Glasgow and Liverpool have 2 massive teams; and Manchester has several.

Liverpool is twinned with Odessa apparently, which is interesting.

Sorry if any of this has been covered. Haven’t been keeping up.

My cousin is working on the Liverpool bid. I feel sorry for whoever wins it because they’ll have half the time to organise it versus every other city every other year.
They won't necessarily have less time that every other year. Turin was only announced as the host in October last year and I would hope we can get a selection process done by then.

Eurovision have told the cities that they need to blanket block hotels and venues for 6 weeks, even though all major cities already have tonnes of events booked over the period.

Ironically the biggest factor will be football. The season runs late this year because of the World Cup in December, and will clash. That will be a benefit to Sheffield who have smaller clubs. Glasgow and Liverpool have 2 massive teams; and Manchester has several.

Liverpool is twinned with Odessa apparently, which is interesting.

Sorry if any of this has been covered. Haven’t been keeping up.

The Scottish season ends on 22 April. England ends on 28 May. They can move fixtures, but Liverpool and Man City are due to play at home on 20 May which is the rumoured date of the final, and Man Utd and Everton are at home the week before.

The Scottish season ends on 22 April. England ends on 28 May. They can move fixtures, but Liverpool and Man City are due to play at home on 20 May which is the rumoured date of the final, and Man Utd and Everton are at home the week before.
The league season might finish on 22 April, but the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden has been the third weekend of May for at least the past couple of years. I'm sure they could move it, but Glasgow won't be able to argue that there's no risk of football getting in the way.

It’s a good job neither team play at the AO Arena then! :tongueout:

It's not about the arena, but in cities like Liverpool which lives and breathes football, if they have Eurovision on the same day as a home game it would definitely be a big stretch of facilities. Can you imagine all the footy and Eurovision fans descending on the city all at the same time?

Is the final date set at this point, or would it still be moveable to work around local issues?

It's not about the arena, but in cities like Liverpool which lives and breathes football, if they have Eurovision on the same day as a home game it would definitely be a big stretch of facilities. Can you imagine all the footy and Eurovision fans descending on the city all at the same time?

To be fair, Manchester quite regularly has absolutely massive fuck off gigs on at the same time as football matches.

Is the final date set at this point, or would it still be moveable to work around local issues?
It would be movable, but so would any of the English Premier League games. Juventus were due to play at home on Eurovision final day this year and they moved the game to the Monday.

It would be movable, but so would any of the English Premier League games. Juventus were due to play at home on Eurovision final day this year and they moved the game to the Monday.
It occurs to me that you were talking about the Eurovision final rather than any of the football finals. I assume that date for that is in no way set yet either.

I presume it’ll either be the 13th or 20th?

To be fair, Manchester quite regularly has absolutely massive fuck off gigs on at the same time as football matches.

Eurovision isn't just a massive fuck off gig though. They also have to have Eurovision Village somewhere, and be able to manage all those people who will come to the city who don't have live tickets. You don't really get 30,000 people visiting a city just because they want to be in the same city where Ed Sheeran is playing

Eurovision isn't just a massive fuck off gig though. They also have to have Eurovision Village somewhere, and be able to manage all those people who will come to the city who don't have live tickets. You don't really get 30,000 people visiting a city just because they want to be in the same city where Ed Sheeran is playing
League games don't hugely increase the number of people in the city itself. You'd never know that either of the Manchester teams were playing at home unless you were in the vicinity of the ground.

I might have said it before but Glasgow Green really would be a fantastic venue for the Euro Village, and I'm definitely not just saying it because I'm about to move five minutes away from it :ghost:

To be fair when Ed Sheeran toured the other month it coincided with the Park Life festival on the same weekend. I think there was an event at the arena too and they seemingly managed fine.

If we did get it I’d imagine Eurovillage would be somewhere away from the centre, potentially Platt Fields.

I presume it’ll either be the 13th or 20th?

Probably, though the Champions League semi finals clash with Semi Final one for both weeks. I think the 27th is too late.

Whatever date and city they choose there's going to have to be some shuffling around of things.

I wouldn’t overestimate the consequence of football, except perhaps in Newcastle. St James’s Park is huge, is full every week, and unlike most of the other cities is right in the centre of the city.

Probably, though the Champions League semi finals clash with Semi Final one for both weeks. I think the 27th is too late.

Whatever date and city they choose there's going to have to be some shuffling around of things.
They swap the order of the legs of Champions League ties to take into account local issues all the time. If Manchester City, Liverpool or Rangers (:basil:) reach the semi finals, they’ll just play the away leg that week.

Liverpool would absolutely lose the bid if the scheduling conflicted with an Everton or (especially) a Liverpool home game.

The city is completely overrun on match days. The hotels go up 3x the price due to demand. It’s not feasibly possible and while the cities can cancel gigs and mini festivals, they can’t move FA dates.

I don’t actually want it in Sheffield, the only benefit is that I can stay at my parents for the week :D They do hit all the requirements though so I’m not surprised it’s on the shortlist. The council are teaming up with Barnsley and Rotherham (the glamour!) councils, I imagine to meet the hotel room requirements.
Chesterfield snubbed? :(

I'm sure the delegations would love a couple of weeks at the Casa!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom