funky does Kylie: "DISCO" (2020)

This is my big takeaway from the whole project. She really is a singles artist. So many great tracks over the years but she doesn’t seem to have one Ray Of Light or Like A Prayer, or even an Erotica - something that has a distinct mood that you can listen to from start to finish without any bumps or diversions.
I disagree.I hold Fever and Light Years on that perfect album status. Especially Fever. I was stung like a bee when CGYOYMGH came out. I fell in love with KYLIE and the album was and still is PERFECT.

I disagree.I hold Fever and Light Years on that perfect album status. Especially Fever. I was stung like a bee when CGYOYMGH came out. I fell in love with KYLIE and the album was and still is PERFECT.
Why would you? There were bigger gaps between previous albums. I was away 2 of the last 3 weekends. It's very much still on my radar because I already have another moopy project waiting and I can't start it until I finish this :D
Yeah, you do you.

Also, get on with it, bitch!

I don't think I know ANY of these songs. The only title I recognise is "I Wanna Gonna Cancel" either through moopy or because it was a single. I have absolutely no idea what else was a single.

Actually maybe Into The Blue was a single too. Not that I remember this at ALL

I was so excited when I first heard Into The Blue, and it still holds up. I remember the criticisms that it felt a BIT like an attempt to do All The Lovers again, but they're different enough for me.

06 Into The Blue - Never heard this. Or scrubbed it from memory. It sounds like it should be on Aphrodite. Too Stuart Price, too busy. THere's a good song under here; nice vocal, nice melody, soaring chorus. But the layers and layers of synths and that monotonous heavy drum machine is just AWFUL. It doesn't sync with her voice at all. But I guess that was the sound of the time. Thank FUCK it died. I'll give credit for being a pop anthem, I suppose it ticks that box.

05 Million Miles - there's no MELODY to this. It's like the whole song is sung across three notes. The chorus is a tad better but the verse is so flat. It just feels a bit thrown together. Like an unfinished idea. It's frenetic and covers a lot of bases so I imagine this is popular. Not with me, sorry folks!

The more I look at that track listing, I realise that the ones I like are generally of a sound that I'm not sure will be for you. The ones I don't like are the more half-baked ones (Million Miles included). You might be in for a rough ride tonight :eyes:

06 I Was Gonna Cancel - I feel like I'm supposed to hate this, but I'm finding myself drawn to its tinny emptiness :D that electro bassline and the bass vocoder are giving me French Disco vibes, like a Fred Falke or Thomas Banglalter production. The stark differences between the verses and choruses and middle bits are quite creative. It's quirky. It's fun. I'm not hating.

You should watch the video for Into The Blue. Made me appreciate the song more than when I first heard it.

06 I Was Gonna Cancel - I feel like I'm supposed to hate this, but I'm finding myself drawn to its tinny emptiness :D that electro bassline and the bass vocoder are giving me French Disco vibes, like a Fred Falke or Thomas Banglalter production. The stark differences between the verses and choruses and middle bits are quite creative. It's quirky. It's fun. I'm not hating.
It's a Pharrell production. I love it. I don't care what ANYONE else thinks.

05 Sexy Love - this is also not particularly hateful, but it's not giving me anything different from the first two songs. This should be more my wheelhouse - it's a slightly lighter tempo which makes it closer to funk pop or disco than europop or dance, and it's a bit like a 10s update from "Love At First Sight". It's nowhere near as good as that though. Again, it's drowning in synths. She had an opportunity to mix up the production on this one but so far she's taking the Aphrodite route of keeping it VERY consistent sonically. Too much so.

It's a Pharrell production. I love it. I don't care what ANYONE else thinks.

Wouldn't have guessed Pharrell and I've not heard him produce pure pop before, but in hindsight I can now see his fingerprints on it.

05 Sexy Love - this is also not particularly hateful, but it's not giving me anything different from the first two songs. This should be more my wheelhouse - it's a slightly lighter tempo which makes it closer to funk pop or disco than europop or dance, and it's a bit like a 10s update from "Love At First Sight". It's nowhere near as good as that though. Again, it's drowning in synths. She had an opportunity to mix up the production on this one but so far she's taking the Aphrodite route of keeping it VERY consistent sonically. Too much so.
VERY much in the Love At First Sight mould but far more enjoyable than Wow for instance.

01 Sex-er-cise - yeah I don't like this. It sounds like something one of those S Club solo stars would do. Or like a song given to someone like Holly Valance in 2014 with a ridulcous amount of money spent on marketing and a video with an expectation of a massive comeback and it totally flopping because someone forgot to actually bring a SONG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom