George Floyd and the police brutality debate

The Moopy jury says

• Total voters
trying not to read/respond to the flamebait-y comments and angry/laughing faces under the guardian FB post.

trying not to read/respond to the flamebait-y comments and angry/laughing faces under the guardian FB post.
Yeah Twitter has some utter bollocks. I saw a Brit complaining it was trial by media.

It was ALL ON FILM!

i
Yes I'm not sure how you can murder and manslaughter someone... But I hardly care.

I asked my dad, a lawyer, this, and he said it doesn’t make sense to him but the judge decided it and it must be something in Minnesota law

Yes I'm not sure how you can murder and manslaughter someone... But I hardly care.
A Reddit comment (copious amounts of salt at the ready please) said that state law only required intent to harm that then leads to death to meet the requirements for second degree murder, rather than intent to kill.

Here’s more on the meaning of the charges:

The second-degree unintentional murder charge alleges Chauvin caused Floyd's death "without intent" while committing or attempting to commit felony third-degree assault. In turn, third-degree assault is defined as the intentional infliction of substantial bodily harm.

The third-degree murder charge alleges Chauvin caused Floyd's death by "perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life."

The second-degree manslaughter charge alleges Chauvin caused Floyd's death by "culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm.

My heart was in my mouth last night waiting for this. I kept thinking how ridiculous it was that every result on the table felt like a real possibility, but thank fuck in the end!

Probably unlikely to change much in police attitudes, but it might help make gentle inroads...perhaps. I feel like it's at least significant enough to have a lasting effect that potentially changes future generations of police, rather than the current lot.
Short term, it might make police think twice and be more cautious about their actions. Which might save a few lives, even if beliefs stay the same.

The word "douchebag" was fashioned especially for Tucker Carlson. He even has a douchebag name.

Aaaand, within half an hour of this verdict, a black teenage girl calls the police for help in Ohio and they kill her instead :angry:

Fuck’s sake. I mean, officers taking guns to every call out is obscene enough, but to use them on the person who made the call?

Didn’t really know where to pop this but PLUS ÇA CHANGE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom