Historical Media

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
Including TV, Podcasts, books et al

My preferred history Podcasts are

Dan Snow's History Hit of which there are several spinoffs

I really like The Rest Is History. Both TV historians from different sides of politics, they have some really interesting conversations.

And the ever popular You're Dead To Me, which Greg Jenner (Horrible Histories), a guest historian and a guest celebrity. This is funny and factual.

This is for the benefit of @RJN

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RJN
There's also the BBC's History Extra which is fine, but lacking in the bigger personalities of the other three. Great for overviews

Dan Snow makes on of those every day... how?

Dan Snow makes on of those every day... how?
No idea! Sometimes he uses other people but not often, he's very well established and they all use interviews with other historians.

As I say there are others under the History Hit umbrella, there are Tudor, War, Medieval, Sexy ones and a new American one.

I went through a podcast phase and now I'm not really in the mood to listen most of the time, but I quite enjoyed this one:

You Must Remember This is good, but quite SPECIFIC (it focuses on the history of Hollywood):

*I'm not recommending you start with the linked episodes. They're the most RECENT ones so probably not an ideal place to start.

Of course my problem is that once I find a podcast, I feel the need to listen to every episode, which isn't realistic

I go through phases with podcasts. Right now, I don't have a long commute, so I'm listening less

Of course my problem is that once I find a podcast, I feel the need to listen to every episode, which isn't realistic
Oh I just find the ones that interest me the most and then just listen to all the new content, of which the above all have pretty prolific output rates. Although You're Dead To Me is a BBC series, so less regular.

Last edited:
I haven't listened to much of Betwixt, but I notice she has an episode on being sexually attracted to SANTA

And one called Victoria: A Greedy Queen, which sounds very Moopy adjacent.

I do pop on Witness History on BBC Sounds every so often.

And I used to love Stuff You Missed in History class years ago when they had the soft voiced hosts.

But my FAVOURITE is Queer as Fact. They choose one queer or queer adjacent historical figure and delve into them. My favourite was Tove Jansson. :disco:

I really like The Rest Is History. Both TV historians from different sides of politics, they have some really interesting conversations.

I'm really enjoying this (the two episodes I listened to). The history and them talking about similarities to today

I'm really enjoying this (the two episodes I listened to). The history and them talking about similarities to today
Yeah they're easily my favourite. Informative and rarely dry.

I haven't really dabbled in many American history podcasts. It has it's obvious limitations, as the US is relatively new. Plus as fascinating as I find America, the history is often dominated by the Civil War, JFK and Hollywood.

I get my knowledge from Philomena Cunk!
Funky shares his historical wisdom
tumblr_nizin70Zx71rto9qeo1_250.gif

New series of You're Dead To Me, on Spotify today.

The revelation of the show, an astonishing story, I had never heard before, was the DEAD POPE who was DUG UP and PUT ON TRIAL

Jean_Paul_Laurens_Le_Pape_Formose_et_Etienne_VI_1870.jpg

Just listening to this and immediately glued.

[]

It's about a British war hero/ diver that went missing in the 1950s. The file on his disappearance is closed until 2057, which means it's something scandalous. The goverment have refused to open it, even today.

I don't really know where to put this, as it isn't history at all but rather current events, but I just wanted to share a YouTube channel I've been watching a lot recently in an attempt to keep up with world events in an as varified and unbiased method as possible.

It's called tldr news and seemingly you can only read news on there if you're a twink. The videos are clear, concise and they don't stoop to using emotive language or opinions just to spark debate and clicks.

There's no area bias either, they report events from all over with the same importance, so I'm getting more news from somewhere like the BBC which is focused more on the UK and Europe.

So yeah, I'm not getting paid by them or anything, I've just got a bit addicted to their videos lately and wanted to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom