Huge explosion in Beirut

I've never seen an explosion that large that wasn't a nuclear bomb.

Apparently it’s at the port. Could it be some sort of chemical accident?

That’s awful.

it looks like the first explosion triggered something. It’s scary.

Oh my god. That is horrific. I kinda long for the days where everyone didn't record everything on their phones - I regret seeing that. :(

(I don’t know how true any of that is but fireworks can be seen in some of the videos)

Genuinely terrifying. It’s like something from a movie, but all too real sadly. There are bound to be hundreds of deaths.

Of course of deliberate actions can look like accidents. I guess that's just the expectation of Beirut.

That shockwave looks terrifying. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

How utterly horrendous for everyone there.

The damage reminds me of that oil storage explosion in the UK about 15 years ago, except that wasn't next to a city.

edit: Buncefield

Didn’t something similar happen in a Chinese city the other year too?

So big it was felt in Cyprus apparently.
Shitting hell. That’s akin to hearing an explosion in London as far away as Doncaster!

Last edited:
Oh, that's horrific. You can see sparking in the fire before whatever blows up blows up.

The first time I watched that video in the link Ag posted (the 'restricted' account), I felt nothing. It was too big to make sense - like a special effect as others have said.

'Dozens' dead according to the BBC. I'm amazed it isn't hundreds, unless there weren't many people around. Who could survive that force, looking at how strong it was as far back as the person filming it?

Unless they are only counting bodies found yet, I suppose.

It goes without saying that this is horrendously tragic and my heart bleeds for Beirut and those who have lost their lives. But I can’t stop watching that explosion. Extraordinary

It’s terrible that it takes something like this to take my mind off YOU KNOW WHAT

The first time I watched that video in the link Ag posted (the 'restricted' account), I felt nothing. It was too big to make sense - like a special effect as others gave said.

'Dozens' dead according to the BBC. I'm amazed it isn't hundreds, unless there weren't many people around. Who could survive that force, looking at how strong it was as far back as the person filming it?

Unless they are only counting bodies found yet, I suppose.

I guess it’s only confirmed deaths, but surely there have to be many more. Thousands are reported injured which makes more sense considering that all windows smashed as far as 10km from the site.

The harbour area is reported to be mostly destroyed, which means their trade is fucked.

It's definitely going to be hundreds. They just don't like saying a number too big and then bringing it back - that looks callous and harmful - rather than cautiously upping the numbers every hour or two.

Remember when they were saying 6 people had died in Grenfell? I already knew of at least 6 entire families that hadn't made it out at that point, but the media just can't say until they are confirmed.

My heart sank watching that.

I hope the news programmes don't just continually replay the footage like they did the Twin Towers.

I recall that the huge IRA bombs in the 1990s were about a ton.

Surely at this point trying to pinpoint a number is entirely pointless?

Exactly. It winds me the fuck up to be honest. Why say anything? But they do because it's the biggest question on people's lips.

The moment I saw that explosion I thought Ammonium Nitrate. As Soldi said earlier, there was a very similar explosion in Tianjin, China a few years back and any number of others throughout the last hundred years. Right now we just have to hope for the death toll to be as low as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom