Interesting/annoying things about the USA

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
The way they refer to a group as singular

e.g. B*Witched is awesome!

Oh America....I have such a love/hate relationship with it. Mostly love, but just when you think it's getting better, it'll go and stoop to the LOWEST depths :D

I need more time to formulate a more comprehensive response to this.

Stereotypes of the British. That can be applied to any country to any country I guess, but we're just more exposed to the US worldview more.

The way they refer to a group as singular

e.g. B*Witched is awesome!

I was under the impression that both are FINE (band is technically a SINGULAR noun but as a collective of people PLURAL verbs are fine too).

Stereotypes of the British. That can be applied to any country to any country I guess, but we're just more exposed to the US worldview more.

Someone in my office asked a French colleague what the stereotype of English people over there was and he REFUSED TO SAY :(

NOT to bash the place and especially not our treasured :america: friends but there was a recent trend on TikTok where people were sharing some :side-eye: things that Americans had said to them, and there was one where a couple were in Marrakesh at the start of July and were asking people in the hostel they were staying in if they were all going to go onto the roof to watch the fireworks, and just couldn't compute that there wouldn't be any :side-eye::side-eye::side-eye::side-eye:

NOT to bash the place and especially not our treasured :america: friends but there was a recent trend on TikTok where people were sharing some :side-eye: things that Americans had said to them, and there was one where a couple were in Marrakesh at the start of July and were asking people in the hostel they were staying in if they were all going to go onto the roof to watch the fireworks, and just couldn't compute that there wouldn't be any :side-eye::side-eye::side-eye::side-eye:

I found this quite funny from an American comedian partly based in the UK. Not least because it happened in Kingston.

Reactions: dUb
Slagging off OUR FOOD as if theirs is SO GREAT.

jZtDCn.gif

One cultural difference I've always assumed from US media is that celebrities always seem to be thanking God and talking about how #blessed they are.

It always felt a bit alien growing up, as even the Christians I knew didn't seem to talk about their faith at all.

It was a source of great bemusement to me when I discovered they come back from the final ad break of a show JUST to show the credits?????

And don't get me started on the TAXES ADDED AT THE TILL!

It's hard to do this knowing half the country are pretty liberal and have an advanced worldview, and this is probably the same everywhere but GUNS and HEALTHCARE are just baffling.

An extension to that is the ridiculous dedication to the Bill of Rights, a 230 year document which protects such garbage.

All the reality shows with dramatic music, jump cuts, and a SHOUTY MAN doing the voice over.

The difference between Gordon Ramsay's US and UK shows always sends me.

It was a source of great bemusement to me when I discovered they come back from the final ad break of a show JUST to show the credits?????

And don't get me started on the TAXES ADDED AT THE TILL!

In the early 00s old Freeview channel ABC1, which obviously mainly showed ABC sitcoms did that. The more frequent ads were incredibly annoying, but not having an ad between the end of one show and the start of another kind of made sense to keep you watching.

It's hard to do this knowing half the country are pretty liberal and have an advanced worldview, and this is probably the same everywhere but GUNS and HEALTHCARE are just baffling.

An extension to that is the ridiculous dedication to the Bill of Rights, a 230 year document which protects such garbage.
Yes, the Constitution being some kind of sacred document, despite being written by some men just a couple of hundred years ago and having undergone loads of amendments.

Refering to a band in singular is fine, isn't it? Unless the name is plural, like "The Beatles" or something like that, I would say ABBA is a Swedish group.

I find it curious that it's such a relatively new country. An American girl on my Masters course, couldn't get her head round us not thinking a Victorian house was considered especially old.

God, guns. (that wasn't meant to be two answers but it works)

I'm in a childfree group on Facebook and every so often there's a discussion about all the things we can spend our money on because we don't have kids. Stuff like exotic holidays, pets, cars, games consoles, lovely things for your lovely house, expensive beauty products, etc etc and then there's always the FREAKS coming along with their GUN COLLECTIONS. WHY???

Refering to a band in singular is fine, isn't it? Unless the name is plural, like "The Beatles" or something like that, I would say ABBA is a Swedish group.
Would you say "ABBA is great"? I get that it's correct, but it would and could NEVER pass my lips

And not just because to me ABBA's music is mainly for aunties to dance to at weddings

The fact that you can buy weapons in a supermarket or you get one as a gift when you open a bank account is something I can't process.

Oh god the tipping. Tipping is absolutely fine as a concept, but customers should not be paying the entirety of a waitperson's wages! Will it ever change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom