Ken Bruce QUITS Radio 2

Despite never really listening to him, this makes me sad. He's my favourite Radio 2 presenter (who isn't Scott Mills).

:( What will happen to PopMaster?
I guess it must be a BBC format, so it will probably stay with whoever is his replacement. They won't be as good at presenting it as he is though. :( Thank god Scott Mills has already been given a full time Radio 2 show.

Quite a few Radio 2 hosts have left recently. It seems to be a time of great unrest at Radio 2.

I hope the new station keeps the podcast version of Popmaster - I would miss it greatly.

I bet Radio 2 won’t replace it with a similar quiz. It must a pain to organise.

Last edited:
just seen their list of DJs. As well as the bigger names that never went away, they also have Andy Crane, Kate Thornton, Jenny Powell and Richard Allinson :o

just seen their list of DJs. As well as the bigger names that never went away, they also have Andy Crane, Kate Thornton, Jenny Powell and Richard Allinson :o

Just stared blankly at that post for ten seconds until my brain finally said “No, THORNTON, not Hudson”

Mr L is properly upset about this. I don't listen enough to have an opinion either way really. He hopes that OJ Borg replaces him.

I think it will be interesting to see who they replace him with. Radio 2's remit is to appeal to 'all ages over 35', and Bruce surely appealed to the oldest demographic of their schedules. I was thinking Jeremy Vine wasn't that much younger than him and may seem exposed, but he's actually only 5 years older than Zoe Ball, and quite a few years closer to Scott Mills and Sara Cox than he is to Ken Bruce.

Shaun Keaveny or Liza Tarbuck to replace him, PLEASE

I won't miss Ken Bruce. Besides, he's quite old and will be dead soon.

Looks like the BBC have asked him to go early as well.

Lolz. I guess it's coz they want there to be a gap between Ken leaving R2 and him starting on his new station, so his R2 listeners can't just follow him there straight away?

To me the big news buried in that VERY LONG Vernon Kaye press release Lolly posted is that there's a new pop quiz coming! -

From Monday 6 March, Radio 2 favourite Gary Davies, host of the network’s much loved Sounds of the 80s (Saturday, 8-10pm), will present the show until May. Gary will also usher in Radio 2’s new weekday pop quiz.

I actually think it is a bit of a wrong move. I know they are trying to aim for a gen x and ELDER MILLENNIAL crowd but I feel out of all the Radio 2 veteran broadcasters, Ken is well-liked among quite a lot of my friends. His thinly veiled contempt for some of the miserable middle aged male contestants on Popmaster amuses me greatly.

He's been doing it for 35 years to be fair!

Vernon Kaye doesn't bother me either way. I rarely listen to Radio 2 to be fair.

Radio 2 are aiming for the 30-50s demographic aren’t they? So I guess Vernon would fit that better than Ken Bruce.
Their remit is 'all ages over 35'. I'd say the younger/middle age range are well served by them, but with Ken going, the older ones will be looking at their presenting roster and feeling sidelined.

Their remit is 'all ages over 35'. I'd say the younger/middle age range are well served by them, but with Ken going, the older ones will be looking at their presenting roster and feeling sidelined.
I guess their working assumption is that once you're a Radio 2 listener, you're a listener for life, hence more effort being put into coaxing people across from Radio 1. They'd kind of been neglecting that for a while up until a year or two ago so this very much feels like a targeted offensive.

I hate their new quiz already.
It’s fine but they need to massively simplify the scoring. Get rid of the thing that resets points per question to one if you get a wrong answer. Maybe also get rid of the joker? More about tactics that actual knowledge and for that reason I can’t see people taking to it.

It’s fine but they need to massively simplify the scoring. Get rid of the thing that resets points per question to one if you get a wrong answer. Maybe also get rid of the joker? More about tactics that actual knowledge and for that reason I can’t see people taking to it.
Oh, yes, the problem is almost entirely the scoring, but I’d be surprised if they’ll be allowed to change it. I expect they have had a team of lawyers coming up with something that is as similar to Popmaster as they can without getting sued. At least they should be able to get rid of that horrible music.

A nice bit of schadenfreude in today’s Ten to the Top. The man got nine questions right, but missed out on a maximum score by not being able to name last year’s winning Eurovision song after hearing it. He almost seemed proud of it.

I've tried with Vernon. And I think I quite like him. But I cannot bear his accent.

I've had the dial tuned to R2 for a while, because R6's line up is generally appalling and for all the great music they play, they do drop some trash.

The music is solid, but the habit of reading out listener texts is DRAINING.

I DON'T CARE THAT MIRIAM AND HER FAMILY IN HARTLEPOOL ARE OFF FOR A SWIM THIS WEEKEND.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom