Long Hot Summer

How many POINTS OUT OF TEN in the shade?

• Total voters

Finn

User
Pronouns
he/him
I remember fans / Popjustice-forum-people thought this was a letdown of a single when it was released EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO, and I think it's fair to say that it's generally seen as one of their lesser originals, but how do you feel about it in this short cold summer* of 2023?

For me it wouldn't trouble my Girls Aloud top five, but I've always been a fan and remain one. It's a generic pop song done really well - not everything has to reinvent the wheel, and actually I find myself playing it far more than some of their singles that could claim to do that (i.e. Biology / Sexy No No No). It's also always VERY welcome when it starts playing on my running playlist.

*if you're in the UK

Shout out to the 'Live at G-A-Y' version, with poofier lyrics and a reference to Jeremy Joseph, which still lives on in my iTunes

I’ve always loved it - not particularly innovative or imaginative but a fun pop song either way.

god I love Long Hot Summer. I never understood the general indifference to it.

I've ricocheted
around the world

:disco:

I get why it relatively failed - it is totally GA by the motions, and a classic is it NOT.

However, it’s bloody phenomenal :disco:

god I love Long Hot Summer. I never understood the general indifference to it.

I've ricocheted
around the world

:disco:
Drinking pink champagne!
It’s easy!

Lovin' it ain't easy, but it slips on quite nicely these days. A very solid 8. And if I'm there in the front row it'll be the definition of a 20.

Weren't Xenomania creatively stilted by Disney in order for this to fit on the soundtrack of Lindsay Lohan's cinematic tour de force "Herbie: Fully Loaded" alongside Aly & AJ and Linds herself, hence the gay trauma over how generic it sounded compared to the usual GA fare?

The Tony Lamezma mix was the first song played in the first car I ever bought, so I have sheer nostalgia for it and can't rate it highly enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom