Marcella Detroit - New Album (featuring Vicious Bitch + Alien 2 Me)

She's going live in about 90 minutes with it. Boy George mentioned her on TV today apparently.

She's been posting daily updates about her 50 years in pop, which I guess has led up to this and the new album. The highlight for me was Mark Saunders chipping in when it got to Feeler, which led me to stalk his facebook page and read a little bit more on how much of a nightmare Cyndi Lauper is.

She's going live in about 90 minutes with it. Boy George mentioned her on TV today apparently.

She's been posting daily updates about her 50 years in pop, which I guess has led up to this and the new album. The highlight for me was Mark Saunders chipping in when it got to Feeler, which led me to stalk his facebook page and read a little bit more on how much of a nightmare Cyndi Lauper is.
What’s the dish on Cyn?

He's usually very diplomatic, but does underline his comments by saying he didn't enjoy it and wouldn't do it again. However, I enjoyed this post:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-094741_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-094741_Chrome.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 71
It does make me laugh that Cyndi would later fall out with her Sisters of Avalon co-writer Jan Pulsford too. @POP! can surely fill in the rest - I'm just back from the gym and need some :)

In her autobiography Cyndi does claim she deliberately causes friction in the studio because she feels it gets a better result in what’s produced but open to question whether she’s just trying to excuse being difficult.

I'd argue that he probably could have encouraged her to do even better work herself had it not been so tense (that album has some of her most fresh sounding stuff). The other story I'll try to find is where he recalls Cyndi yelling at the cleaners "I'm the fucking star!" Which is almost sweet in a Romy and Michelle "no I'm the Mary" way, but I do believe these stories. I remember when I saw Cyndi touring Brink in Glasgow and actually correcting that poor backing singer who looked like Diane Warren. It wasn't very nice, not that Cyn wasn't firing from all cylinders in other ways to make you almost not even notice. Least I forget, she is one of the most awesome pop icons we have.

That version of Vicious Bitch sounds a bit cheap (and not the right kind) but assuming there is a proper version hopefully it is a little better.

Marcy emailed out on the SS list saying she was at Shuv's on the day before the first lockdown, and clearing up the subject matter of the new song:

Since it was written during the pandemic, it's not actually about anyone, it's about "Mother Nature" and how wonderful she can be giving us so much beauty and then she'll throw in a pandemic or a super storm to keep us on our toes.

How unjuicy.

Thirteen track remix album of this now on Spotify

I really like this, but do wish she'd have more fun with the lyrics. The immediate case point being the Baby Jane dialogue that doesn't go in for the kill with it (even get Siob to yell "but cha are Marce!" down the phone if nothing else).

Oh Marcy, what a mess :D

She has uploaded 3 of these, each different drafts along the way and they're either out of time edits, 480p or clearly not the final edit despite being titled "FINAL". Not only are the views little, but they're split between 3. Anyway, on a positive note is that despite looking like you've just found a new Marcy moment whilst on speed dial back in 1999, she delivers quite a lot on camera. The first face she gives delivering the title lyric is a hoot. The whole thing now just has the most wonderful off kilter kitsch quality I am very much here for... but yeah, Marcy upload it in proper 1080p/4K would you darl?

I'm also genuinely concerned that the man running from the wave made it out alive, which makes the real VB MD if not.

Ugh, that close up I mentioned is not even in that link I posted. Jesus, what a riot she is. Who knew (apart from BRM and her stealth Starbucks game).

Oh it's there. 1:50 ish.

Omg at the DEAD AIR black screen. She clearly edited these herself. One even has text appear at the end for her website.

Also really feeling Freedom, which is a free download on her site. I hope she's aware it's free anyway :D

What a surge of enjoyment I've been getting from her lately.

Just like that, it's gone live:

The backing track has a whiff of Cry For You to it.

Last edited:
She's saying this is her last ever solo album... as Marcelle Detroit. What a tease. The album edit of Alien 2 Me has a vague Sure Is Pure nimble disco vibe, but I love the thunderous 7th Heaven 80s melodrama of the single edit so much. The voice has taken a hit (it's on the whimpery side), but I'm honestly amazed to hear her with so much gusto at this age. Absolutely tremendous. Bravo, Marce.

Poor Marcy.

Without the preview function (RIP), I don't know if this will work, but a dodgy distributor called TuneCore has sabotaged her Vicious Bitch release. Oh to be at the next table listening in next time she has a greasy spoon catch up with Madame Misery herself BRM.

I'd argue that he probably could have encouraged her to do even better work herself had it not been so tense (that album has some of her most fresh sounding stuff). The other story I'll try to find is where he recalls Cyndi yelling at the cleaners "I'm the fucking star!" Which is almost sweet in a Romy and Michelle "no I'm the Mary" way, but I do believe these stories. I remember when I saw Cyndi touring Brink in Glasgow and actually correcting that poor backing singer who looked like Diane Warren. It wasn't very nice, not that Cyn wasn't firing from all cylinders in other ways to make you almost not even notice. Least I forget, she is one of the most awesome pop icons we have.
this post is such a wild ride :D

So Alien 2 Me doesn't have that many views and the top comment is from her real life son saying you rock mom. Not to knock her, that must be quite lovely having your sprog be proud of you.

Anyway, veering off to 2015, her vocals are much more comfortable here:

I do hope she sings more in whatever range is more natural for her. Spot your fillers, etc.

Gold is out soon. By the time postage was added it was £45, so I'm likely nist going to go digital with it. The book is an interesting one though...

I BELIEVE there has been a delay, but to tide us over she has uploaded a new preview of the album called Gold. Yes, she's went gold already...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom