MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS #6 - GARBAGE - VERSION 2.0 - 8PM WEDNESDAY 13/05

Also, they're crap at finishing songs. A sure sign of a studio band.
Actually, I know what you mean with that. There are a good few songs on here that I expect finish a couple of times before they actually do.

Wicked Ways is probably my favourite non-single on the album. It's got a bit more control over what it's trying to do than things like Hammering In My Head and Sleep Together.

Ooh I forgot this was happening but I really love this album.

'You Look So Fine' in particular.

Do you know what the problem is - for a guitar heavy band, they're not very good guitarists. I mean, they're proficient for sure but that's what would lift them - a really creative lead guitarist. Given how much this album has in common sonically with David Bowie's 1995 album "1. Outside", it's hard not imagine what Reeves Gabrels could have done here.

I mean, I probably wouldn't (couldn't) disagree with this...or the "studio band" analogy. But for whatever reason I feel like melodically they get it SO RIGHT. It's pop music dressed up in added production values, a superb vocalist and some seriously amazing emotional hooks. I could fault it technically if I was so inclined, but on a pure song level they hit so hard here for me, personally.

You look so fine
I want to break your heart
And give you mine

Beautiful

Reactions: GNL
Oooft...so it certainly feels locked in a certain time. I also think they had better songs for the debut. But it's also easy to see why this caught on - there's a genuine rush to many songs when they "kick in" - I guess the current equivalent would be "the drop".

'You Look So Fine' could only be the last song on the album. I'd be very angry if it went into some Japanese bonus tracks right now.

You Look So Fine is like the most perfect, sad-tinged Care Bear stare there ever was. What a beautiful album closer. I never expected this to be a hit - it was released well over a year after the album - but I was still a bit gutted when it made no impact.

'You Look So Fine' could only be the last song on the album. I'd be very angry if it went into some Japanese bonus tracks right now.

Oh, there's several versions...one with 2 bonus tracks, one with 4, one with 5....and then the most recent one with 10 which I assume was all the other songs issued on the b-sides for the various singles.

You Look So Fine is like the most perfect, sad-tinged Care Bear stare there ever was. What a beautiful album closer. I never expected this to be a hit - it was released well over a year after the album - but I was still a bit gutted when it made no impact.
Top twenty for a fifth single which doesn't sound all that much like the others wasn't bad, even back then. It was never going to do much more than that, though it would very much have deserved to.

Oh, there's several versions...one with 2 bonus tracks, one with 4, one with 5....and then the most recent one with 10 which I assume was all the other songs issued on the b-sides for the various singles.
Normally I like bonus tracks, but I think it's because I'm so familiar with the original version.

09 Temptation Waits
08 I Think I'm Paranoid
08 When I Grow Up
08 Medication
09 Special
10 Hammering In My Head
11 Push It
09 The Trick Is To Keep Breathing
08 Dumb
08 Sleep Together
08 Wicked Ways
12 You Look So Fine

Normally I like bonus tracks, but I think it's because I'm so familiar with the original version.

I know what you mean - a certain pattern makes sense to you and there no need to mess with it. I like either a space before bonus tracks or to have them on a separate disc, myself.

i was listening too. in hindsight, considering i was so crazy about the first album (probably still know it by heart), it's strange i never got into this one. tonight didn't do the trick either. even push it didn't feel as exciting as it once did.

that said, you look so fine and special are perfect.

Top twenty for a fifth single which doesn't sound all that much like the others wasn't bad, even back then. It was never going to do much more than that, though it would very much have deserved to.

Oh I get that, I just love it so much it felt like a shame. However their single chart runs are APPALLING - aside from Stupid Girl (which even then had about 5 weeks ish top 40) I'm sure nothing else had more than 3 weeks. In that respect they were lucky to get as many top 10s as they did.

It was always what I clinged onto in the Beautiful Garbage days - that their singles may have only reached #21 or whatever, HOWEVER they spent the same amount of weeks top 40 as their so-called hits from Version 2.0.

It woz Radio 1's fault etc :(/:D

The chart runs were even worse for the Beautiful Garbage singles. If I remember correctly 'Shut Your Mouth' was the first song ever to enter in the Top 20 and then drop right out of the Top 75 the next week.

The chart runs were even worse for the Beautiful Garbage singles. If I remember correctly 'Shut Your Mouth' was the first song ever to enter in the Top 20 and then drop right out of the Top 75 the next week.

Yeah looking back I'm just thinking of failed-tragedy "Cherry Lips" which did spend 3 weeks top 40, the same as most of the rest despite not making top 20. At that point it was the only thing to cling onto as an obsessed teenager!

Anyway thanks moopy for picking this, still an absolute favourite chez RoM

What's next then? Sad to hear Lolly cancelled :( The Solid HarmoniE album is lots of fun however and worthy of a primetime slot

Unfortunately I'm a little forgetful, but I'm always up for Shirley's vicious s&m robopop peak. Temptation Waits, what an exuberant opener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom