Morcheeba

VoR

Take it or leave it
I dunno if this is the right forum for them, but i'm really stumped as to where to put them. They'll be torn apart if I put them in the Alt/Rock forum. :D

Anyway, I know they're a bit bland coffee-tablish, but (Naturally) i do like them very much. The greatest hits is a great listen.

My Morch top ten

1. The Sea
2. Moog Island
3. Trigger Hippie
4. Rome Wasn't Built In A Day
5. Tape Loop
6. Otherwise
7. Be Yourself
8. Part Of The Process
9. Blindfold
10. Good Girl Down

I do like them but I don't know if I could muster a Top Ten. Some great summery pop songs like The Sea (which is gorgeous) but they're not quite in the same league as Massive Attack or Air

I do like the BNH-esque "Rome Wasn't Built In A Day" too, but it's not really their usual sound

i wouldn't say they're anything more than POP really
i have two burnt cds of their early stuff and charango - which is good

*plays along*

i seem to prefer their down-tempo stuff and i've never bother after skye left

Top 10

1. Get Along
2. Undress Me
3. Blindfold
4. Be Yourself
5. Otherwise
6. World Looking In
7. Rome Wasn't Built In A Day
8. The Sea
9. Slowdown
10. Tape Loop

Oh yeah I never bothered with "The Antidote". Morcheeba for me are ALL about Skye's voice.

I used to like Morcheeba rather a lot. I've gone off them dramatically in recent years tho. I still think Big Calm is a great album and their others, especially Who Can You Trust are dotted with fine songs. However, the last 3 albums have just been inane, throwaway crap. Whatever inspired them to turn into a kooky M People i'll never know.

They've got nothing left to offer. At best they made nicely jazzed-up trip-hop. At worst they are intolerable. Skye has a lovely voice, but Paul used to to write her such insipid, twee lyrics. She's been working on a solo album for some time now i hear.

Anyway. I'd quite happily dispose of all my Morcheeba albums with the exception of Big Calm - which is wonderful to this day.

Gavin said:
Whatever inspired them to turn into a kooky M People i'll never know.

i also have the m people association, didn't think anyone else did

I have all 5 albums - and I think they're ALL quite good with the exception of 'Fragments of Freedom' which was a complete sellout...

No-one has mentioned the fabulous What New York Couples Fight About yet. Shocking.

They're one of those bands who I'm not a particularly massive fan of, and yet I own all their albums.

It's a shame they completely alienated most of their fanbase with the awful Fragments of Freedom, because I think their last two albums have both had their moments, particularly The Antidote. Wonders Never Cease is a great pop song and it's a pity the new singer Daisy got kicked out because I thought she gave them a new lease of life.

01 What Do New York Couples Fight About?
02 Part Of The Process
03 Blindfold
04 Rome Wasn't Built In A Day
05 Tape Loop
06 Over And Over
07 The Sea
08 Get Along
09 Be Yourself
10 Trigger Hippie

just saw the cover to skye's forthcoming album "mind how you go"
out on the 27th of february it appears and supposedly when she started making it she was working with pat leonard

still i don't feel remotely excited

I wonder if there will be any mad rambling "That Day" type stuff!

Just seen Skye's new video on The Amp. No "mad-rambling That Day type stuff" really. It's a bit more guitary than Morcheeba and it sounded a bit bland on first listening but I'm sure it will grow on me.

01) Undress Me Now
02) Wonders Never Cease
03) The Sea
04) Fear and Love
05) Lighten Up
06) Way Beyond
07) Like A Military Coup
08) Part of the Process
09) Women Lose Weight
10) What's Your Name

I really like Skye's first single ... Maybe a bit too bland for some and it probably won't do much, but after a few listens I was hooked.

B000CNFAKA.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

01. Love Show
02. Stop Complaining
03. Solitary
04. Calling
05. What's Wrong With Me
06. No Other
07. Tell Me About Your Day
08. All The Promises
09. Powerful
10. Say Amen
11. Jamaica Days

OOh thanks muchly.
I'm liking this quite a bit on first listen.

charliebobs said:
Wonders Never Cease is a great pop song and it's a pity the new singer Daisy got kicked out because I thought she gave them a new lease of life.

She's accused one of them of sexual harassment. :shock:

I did quite like them, but despite owning four albums I'd struggle to assemble a top 10.

That new Skye single is quite nice actually. Mind How You Go is a suitably nice and bland album title.

God I fucking LOVE LOVE LOVE this now!

I need the album now!

:D

The Anti-Dubs said:
No-one has mentioned the fabulous What New York Couples Fight About yet. Shocking.

Women Lose Weight is my absolute favourite, from the same album. GENIUS.

'The name of this entertainment is women lose weight,
Our first years of marriage everything was just great,
But after two kids and the weight gain factor,
The fact is now she looks completely unattractive,
Look, fat chicks, I don't mean to sound rude,
I tell her nice hit the gym and don't eat so much food,
But no, 'You're shallow you need to run the course...
Of unconditional love and so forth'
Bout how, if desire's not there that's just delayment,
Divorce is child support, alimony, payments,
My happiness I doubt discouraged,
So hurry for an easier way out of this marriage,
Meanwhile my secretary June well groomed,
'When you gonna leave your wife?' I tell her soon,
Mommy soon, I assume,
Or my destiny is blue,
Interestingly the only thing left for me to do,
Is to kill her...'

The story goes on and he kills his wife for being fat, and his mistress ends up being shit at housework and the police catch him.

Slick Rick on the rap, it's fucking EXCELLENT.

And it wasn't Daisy that accused them of sexual harrassment was it - it was the singer before her, who didn't actually record anything with them...

http://www.theSTOP FUNDING HATE/article/0,,2-2006000497,00.html

Her High Court writ also claims he called her a “cheap tart” and an uneducated working class girl with a posh voice and middle class aspirations. :D

Oh sorry, there's a new girl AFTER her... I get it. :D

Oh my gosh! I've just noticed in the album credits to The Antidote:

Backing Vocals - Siobhan Donaghy. :D I BET she's GLAD she left the Babes...

Last edited:
Ross and Paul should just go into remixing. Morcheeba has ran its course.

cwej said:
Women Lose Weight is my absolute favourite, from the same album. GENIUS.

'The name of this entertainment is women lose weight,
Our first years of marriage everything was just great,
But after two kids and the weight gain factor,
The fact is now she looks completely unattractive,
Look, fat chicks, I don't mean to sound rude,
I tell her nice hit the gym and don't eat so much food,
But no, 'You're shallow you need to run the course...
Of unconditional love and so forth'
Bout how, if desire's not there that's just delayment,
Divorce is child support, alimony, payments,
My happiness I doubt discouraged,
So hurry for an easier way out of this marriage,
Meanwhile my secretary June well groomed,
'When you gonna leave your wife?' I tell her soon,
Mommy soon, I assume,
Or my destiny is blue,
Interestingly the only thing left for me to do,
Is to kill her...'

The story goes on and he kills his wife for being fat, and his mistress ends up being shit at housework and the police catch him.

Slick Rick on the rap, it's fucking EXCELLENT.

I particularly like the bit where he kills her on a Weds or whatever as it's the day she goes FOOD SHOPPING. :D

ameraal said:
just saw the cover to skye's forthcoming album "mind how you go"
out on the 27th of february it appears and supposedly when she started making it she was working with pat leonard

still i don't feel remotely excited

Also "Love Show" was cowritten with Gary Clark who also worked with Natalie on most of WLI. No wonder I love it so much. :D
I hope he worked on more stuff on the album.

"Mind How You Go" did get released in France though....:o
Entered at number 113...

i have to say after mildly liking love show, it has fully won me over this week...
and all thanks to the tom novy remix

it includes my new philosophy too

...but the truth is/it's painless/letting your love show

laconic, yet brilliantly put

@VoR @Alex @cwej and all my adult pop fans, have you listened to the new album yet? It's not earth shattering but there's a handful of very good tracks, particularly the above which one of my fave songs of the year.

Reactions: VoR
I did read this thread the other day and I meant to check it out. Will pop it on later.

@VoR @Alex @cwej and all my adult pop fans, have you listened to the new album yet? It's not earth shattering but there's a handful of very good tracks, particularly the above which one of my fave songs of the year.
Ooh shall give it a go now !

Oooo how weird - I put on Morcheeba this morning because I was tired and wanted something chilled on the headphones but didn't notice there was a new album. Will check out at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom