Nine Perfect Strangers (Nicole Kidman, Melissa McCarthy)

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
What a wonderful cast and it looks camp as tits which suits the book to a t.

I feel like the grave scene was inspired by this classic moment

1434326676_rhooc_4.jpg

how incredible does this look? :D

Nicole can have any role she wants these days, we love to see it.

I’d join Nicole’s cult in a heartbeat. SCIENTOLOGY WHAT?

I wonder if
we will get Nicole in a fat suit in the opening

christ, the queen looks so good

this premieres TONIGHT! reviews are mediocre but fuck them!

I do wonder if its shine has been stolen by The White Lotus though. the premise is almost identical.

Yeah it definitely lost a lot of shine for White Lotus. It’s hard to be compared to the hit of the summer.

Yeah it’s not very good, the cast is great but the book as it has been pointed out is fairly light and I couldn’t help but compare it to the specificity of The White Lotus.

I like Melissa McCarthy especially when she’s not in something written or directed by her husband. And it’s pretty but it’s definitely not as impactful.

The dialogue is absolutely dreadful :D Like, laughably so.

McCarthy is making the best of it I agree. I LOL'd when her aforementioned husband showed up in a minor role. Is it written into her contract for everything she ever does?!

Nicole Kidman and her wandering Russian accent being shot like the Lady Galadriel from LOTR is just bizarre. I'll hang on a little longer in case it gets enjoyably weird, but episode 2 was pretty boring really.

the first episode isn't even finished and it's terrible. every cast member is acting like they're in a different show. only Melissa McCarthy and the female wellness assistant can find the tone. what happened?!

the changes from the book are stupid (lol) and the writing is kinda bad. there's also some awful dubbing, did they do extensive reshoots or something?

the fact that they have robbed us of the a Nicole Kidman in a fat suit flashback scenes we deserved can't be forgiven. 😩

the first episode isn't even finished and it's terrible. every cast member is acting like they're in a different show. only Melissa McCarthy and the female wellness assistant can find the tone. what happened?!

the changes from the book are stupid (lol) and the writing is kinda bad. there's also some awful dubbing, did they do extensive reshoots or something?

What are the changes? I thought that first episode was pretty much what was in the book.

Episode 3 is much better but, it ends on a predictable cliffhanger.

Nicole's face is so distracting, it's good to see she snatched a role that doesn't require a lot of facial movements.
As for the rest of the cast, I was quite surprised when Regina Hall showed up but I am hating her character, also I agree with VoR, I feel Melissa and Boby Cannavale seem to be the only ones making the most of the script and the silly premise.

Anyway, STREAM NOW!

I’m on episode 5 and this is now actively bad. Poor Regina hall she deserves better.

I saw Episode 5 and I Can't stop watching! Also, I find Nicole's increasingly thin figure and bad wig so FASCINATING!

Also, I can't believe she can't make up her mind and stick to just one accent.
SharpMiniatureHalicore-max-1mb.gif

Nicole should never have been advised or allowed to do that accent. it's so distracting and it's so inessential to who the character is. just DO AUSTRALIAN FOR ONCE.

I’m on episode 5 and this is now actively bad. Poor Regina hall she deserves better.

I'm watching in tandem with The White Lotus and the comparison is SO unflattering to this mess.

It's also made me realise that I'm really not a fan of Michael Shannon at all.

Did anyone struggle through to the end of this?

I'm not sure why I did beyond morbid curiosity, but holy shit, the final episode had my jaw on the floor at just how ill-conceived, mawkish, insane and frankly IRRESPONSIBLE it was.

After eight episodes of Nicole Kidman drugging, gaslighting, and putting her guests in actual physical harm, the show just concludes that... she was right to do all along? Everyone just... forgives her?

Half the cast are locked in a steam room and made to believe that they're about to be BURNED ALIVE, and not only do they not sue her, they end up THANKING HER FOR IT?!

I'm not sure if the book had the same ending, or found a way to justify it more eloquently, but truly one of the worst endings to one of the worst television series I have ever sat through to completion. :D

I’m glad I didn’t stick with it. I have very little patience for bad tv these days.

they never thank her (they never know they’re being drugged) and she goes to jail but later is seen being interviewed promoting this treatment but she’s presented a lot more as a unstable person.

This was such a slog and completely agree on the mess of the final episode.

Also Michael Shannon dancing and/or singing is just a big fat NO

I take it this isn’t worth it, then? I chose to focus on The White Lotus instead (which was worth it) but this seems to have gone down like a tonne of bricks everywhere.

Yeah I really wouldn’t bother. Some moments of unintentional comedy but not nearly enough to justify what an embarassing slog it was.

sounds like they completely changed the end of the book just to do something different. points for trying but I'm glad I didn't bother sticking with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom