Oppenheimer

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him

I think this is Nolan’s best movie…it’s a biopic that’s 3 hours long but never boring or rushed.

Cillian Murphy is great but also there’s a ton of recognizable actors who show up for a scene or two or just hang in the background.

It’s inspiring twitters worst ever takes.

IMG_3378.jpeg

DRAINED after seeing this unnecessary BOREFEST. Someone explain why the first 2 hours were even needed?

tired night GIF

Last edited:
I almost!!! agree with Ellie. Why was this a biopic? It should have been a clever three hour thriller based on Los Alamos framed with the trial.

I almost!!! agree with Ellie. Why was this a biopic? It should have been a clever three hour thriller based on Los Alamos framed with the trial.
Why was Florence Pugh even IN this? Just a random excuse to have her naked? I really really really had no interest in his personal life whatsoever.

Why was Florence Pugh even IN this? Just a random excuse to have her naked? I really really really had no interest in his personal life whatsoever.

I thought Emily Blunt was gonna be old her!

It’s inspiring twitters worst ever takes.

View attachment 19434

Why do you think these are such bad takes? I think they both make relevant points particularly the latter. I must say I found the fact that he kept seeing white people 'dead' all around him irritating (I get why they did it) but when a quarter of a million Japanese people died I almost found that distasteful.

BUT I thought it was a decent film, well directed - the middle hour was the best bit - the tension leading up to the actual explosion was really well built. Acting was decent.

But it was about an hour too long for sure. I just don't get why film-makers are so self-indulgent like this these days.

:D

(You’ll have to have watched the Eternals to get this joke which I realize is slim)

• Haha
Reactions: COB
Why do you think these are such bad takes? I think they both make relevant points particularly the latter. I must say I found the fact that he kept seeing white people 'dead' all around him irritating (I get why they did it) but when a quarter of a million Japanese people died I almost found that distasteful.

BUT I thought it was a decent film, well directed - the middle hour was the best bit - the tension leading up to the actual explosion was really well built. Acting was decent.

But it was about an hour too long for sure. I just don't get why film-makers are so self-indulgent like this these days.

I think this is a good point

Yeah. I said I got why they did it, particuarly from Oppenheimer's perspective - he was putting the people around him in the situation and couldn't SEE the Japanese. But I still think it's a bit of a choice that if it wasn't by such a renowned director, might have received a bit more criticism. Because it's him we give it an 'artistic rationale'.

I thought this was REALLY FUCKING BORING for approx 1h45m, before becoming REALLY QUITE THRILLING (around the testing of the bomb in the desert) for about half an hour, and then mostly QUITE BORING but with OCCASIONAL MOMENTS for the rest. Overall I’m glad I’ve seen it, but wouldn’t sit through it again. And anyone preferring this to the Barbie part of Barbenheimer is quite clearly the worst type of man imaginable.

I thought Cillian was great, and Blunt was too when she finally got chance to do something in her trial scene.

I also enjoyed the cameos. Craig from 00s Hollyoaks, and Josh from Drake and Josh being the one to press the detonator were highlights. And Tom Conti popping up as Einstein, briefly looking like he’d wandered in from a different film entirely (but then being really boring too and thus fitting right in)

No idea why Florence Pugh signed on for such a nothingy part. If it’s the money I hope she got paid at least a million per tit, since she had to keep getting them out so much. Dirty old Nolan.

Oh and I think it would have been a stronger film without the Robert Downey JR strand. NO NEED. I did feel a bit robbed that it didn’t show the actual bombing of Hiroshima though. Call me ghoulish but I’d forked out £25 for an IMAX ticket, I wanted SPECTACLE

£25! I nearly popped to the local cinema to see this this afternoon as they have £5 tickets on a Monday but ultimately decided I COULDN’T BE ARSED.

I could have gone to my local Vue for FREE with a lloyds bank voucher, but I got tricker by the IMAX hype and a few Nolan-fan incel colleagues telling me this one is best seen that way :(

I thought this was REALLY FUCKING BORING for approx 1h45m, before becoming REALLY QUITE THRILLING (around the testing of the bomb in the desert) for about half an hour, and then mostly QUITE BORING but with OCCASIONAL MOMENTS for the rest.

This is what I felt too, with the ”REALLY QUITE THRILLING” moments being a couple of MINUTES in total. Everyone did a great job, but I really had no interest whatsoever.

Also I had been out the night before and had barely slept so I kept falling asleep. It felt like a long-haul flight and you just wanted to get home.

I found this generally well-made and engaging, but I wish it had been structured differently. The last hour or so felt like a dated Steven Soderberg courtroom drama, complete with overwrought dialogue, Robert Downey Jr hamming it up and the truly embarassing Alden Ehrenreich ‘rebellious aide’ character who felt like he’d been dropped in from an episode of Ally McBeal or something.

The parts with the buildup to and fallout from the bomb were genuinely gripping though.

And Tom Conti popping up as Einstein, briefly looking like he’d wandered in from a different film entirely (but then being really boring too and thus fitting right in)

A friend has since surmised that Einstein is the Weird Barbie of Oppenheimer, and I think that's bang on

I hate Christopher Nolan films. So formulaic and what's with that awful low level music playing in the background the whole time. Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom