Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Hotly Oscar-tipped Korean-American movie from first-time director Celine Song.

It's nothing terribly original, and I found the first half a bit slow going, but it does build to a really beautiful, heartfelt final third. The last scene in particular is bound to be on all the 'best movie moments' clips at the end of the year.

It’s a beautifully written movie and Greta Lee was unrecognizable from her Russian Doll role.

It felt like a very grown up modern love story.

I'm probably being overly critical, but I did think the dialogue between Nora and her husband was a touch *too* on the nose in places, but the scenes between Nora and Hae Sung really were gorgeously written, I agree. The bar scene near the end in particular, despite also being excruciatingly uncomfortable :D

This was sweet but straying too close to two VERY OBVIOUS reference points for any person coming of age at the turn of the millennium (Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine which is actually FEATURED in the film) which I think HINDER the story from taking FULL FLIGHT.

I actually thought the most honest scenes in the whole film were the two discussions between the husband and her about Hae Sung. One step closer to acknowledging the cracks in the SERIAL MONOGAMIST RELATIONSHIP MODEL on mainstream America cinema!

Oh and I loved the ending but not sure if for the same reasons as everybody else.

For me,

she obviously was never going to indulge in a real relationship with Hae Sung, but her breakdown is more to do with unresolved issues about her Korean past, who she is and how she isn't or feels like she isn't Korean any longer, or as Korean as he is. I think she wonders what would have happened with her, possibly with him but not necessarily, if she had stayed in Korea.

As a migrant myself, that feeling NEVER goes away, particularly when you come into contact with your past and where you were born, and it's incredibly powerful.

I absolutely loved this. For me though the structure reminded me more of the Before trilogy than the other movies mentioned here. Those people that just fleetingly come into your life then disappear again and you wonder 'what if'... I found it very moving and very thought-provoking.

Last edited:
Reactions: VoR
I thought it was jolly good but nothing amazing, until the final scene -

I found myself SO DESPERATE for them to kiss, and then his finalish line to her - about what if this is a past life for them and they're something more in another one - almost knocked me off my seat. MARVELLOUS

Both lead actors were fucking fantastic, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom