Portugal 2024: Iolanda - Grito

IMG_5598.gif

By Portuguese standards, this is almost listenable. I see that it’s lower in the odds than the abomination that was on first.

I’ve been to Portugal a few times and enjoyed myself and met some lovely people, you would never know they were so WICKED.

I’m praying for death right now. You’d never know I could just switch it off.

At least they are getting through the wretched, wretched songs at a fair lick. I can barely begin to imagine the horrors of the interval.

I may have caused the ten minutes of talky bits. I’d say that I’m sorry but you already know that.

The songs have begun again but mercifully I feel about 10 mins away from passing out.

I think this one is the favourite. I’d be ok with that.

Oh, that styling can’t possibly be a good sign (song 8)

This is the first song that has caused the SLIGHTEST TWINGE and it’s still objectively horrid.

There’s a spoken word section. Can we not just drag Portugal into the Atlantic a bit and declare it officially part of America?

Harpist? Not half as pissed as I’m going to be.

I may be becoming institutionalised but this 12th song is actually quite good. The others are some variant or another of cat aids.

I absolutely DO NOT WANT TO KNOW how they are going to fill the next two hours and twenty five minutes now that the songs are finished.

Song 12 to win. Everything else to die or NQ.

Oh, the runner up was the remotely tolerable one. Still, one more song that we won’t miss when it goes out in the semi finals.

Damn. Was it close?

Closeish. Iolanda ran away with the jury vote, but then it was converted to 1-12.

Iolanda – "Grito" (22 points)
João Borsch – "...Pelas Costuras" (18 points)
Leo Middea – "Doce Mistério" (18 points)
Silk Nobre – "Change" (12 points)
Rita Rocha – "Pontos Finais" (11 points)
Buba Espinho – "O Farol" (10 points)
Noble – "Memory" (7 points)
Rita Onofre – "Criatura" (5 points)
Perpétua – "Bem Longe Daqui" (4 points)
Nena – "Teorias da Conspiração" (4 points)
No Maka feat. Ana Maria – "Aceitar" (3 points)
Cristina Clara – "Primavera" (2 points)

Oh dear. The truly monstrous one came fourth.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m happy with it. It’s quite lovely. Not sure it’ll qualify but it does stand out this year. As far as the Semi One ballads I prefer it to Serbia.

Oh this is rather beautiful. It fills that ballad/country-specific sound that had been lacking somewhat this year. It all looks very appealing on the eye too.

The only thing is, I wish it had a grander finish, as it just kind of...stops.

I fear for its chances, which is sad because it would surely mop up a few jury scores in the final

Lovely lovely lovely. This is exactly what's been missing from this year.

Yeah, this is the kind of palate-cleanser that I am happy to see in the mix.

I don't love this like I loved Maro or Mimicat but it's perfectly pleasant.

Having listened to this a couple of times now I actually think it's quite good; easily the best thing they've sent since Ha Um Mar Que Nos Separa. I acknowledge this is damning with faint praise because nothing they've sent since then technically qualifies as a song, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom