Post your ENYA favourites

I wonder what it all MEANS

• Love
Reactions: Zu
This one always sets me off. Sort of joyful but with a sense of doubt and doom. Also I love her dalliances with a waltz tempo. Whole album of songs in 3/4 next time please Mum :disco:

I know it’s quite the OVERPLAYED BOP these days but I can’t NOT mention this

• Love
Reactions: Zu
Only Time is my overall favourite by Enya 🥰🎼 The music, the video, the (lack of) energy even ☺️

My 'relatable favourite' is probably the one from The Frog Prince called Dreams 🤗

(See the ❤️comment on the above video - daydreaming to the point of wondering what 'dreams' really are 💭🕊️:peace:)

If you really want TO
you can hear me say

Only if you want TO
will you find a way

If you really want TO
you can seize the day

Only if you want to will you fly awAAAY

real housewives dancing GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Trains and Winter Rains :enya:

is a subtle tribute to Self Control 🎭

"Red and blue city lights"

"City light painted girl"
:disco:🌃
I mixed them here of course :grin:

Last edited:
This one

If only Enya got to do the whole arrangement in this final/film version :googlyeyes: (or if Enya's version had its own release :disco: )
These early lyrics by Roma seem a bit sappy, and Eithne sings it kind of sarcastically 😅 but it's a beautiful tune ♥🎶🤗

Blocked for me.
I assume the essay is part of the video?
It could be film footage that made it blocked or something. No essay in the video, haha, just writing at length :wink:
What is your favourite Enya song actually? 🎵 I don't recall you saying much about ones you like most. Even In The Shadows?

(Yesterday I only just noticed the background lines Enya does in that song "Love will come, and love will go.." 😅)

Not one of Enya's own songs, but she sang this, An Túll (The Apple) :D

🍏🥔 Performance video :)

😊

🎵Ó mo thuirse mar shileann mo shúile
Indiadh an úll ud a bhí breá buí
An óig-bhean uasal bhí t'reis é thabhairt domh
'S do thabhairfinn púnt ar é bhlaiseadh arís 🎵
English translation of the chorus
Oh sadly my eyes cry 🥲
After that fine yellow apple
And the lovely young woman who gave it to me
And I'd give a pound to taste it again
It's a kind of sad song, but has a cheery folk style to it ☺️

Live performance version

Eithne 🫶

I have a new story to tell you
It's good crack and chat over drink
A fine lovely apple I put in my pocket
And all I found was a seed potato

Chorus:
Oh sadly my eyes cry
After that fine yellow apple
And the lovely young woman who gave it to me
And I'd give a pound to taste it again

I walked Clare Island and Carrig Aonor
The bays of Béara Island were before me on the way
Puinte na nGréige and Dorsaí Maola
The raven and the calf outside of Baoi

(Chorus)

I walked through Cualach because I was sad
The northern parish and Eyeries
On the Island of Muarseadh a young man told me
That I wouldn't get word of her until I'd tie the knot

(Chorus)

I walked through Cobh and Baile na Mona
Cathar Tún Tóime and Sherkin Is
On the east coast someone told me
That it was the laughing stock of Néidín

(Chorus 3x)
🤗🎶

Last edited:
It could be film footage that made it blocked or something. No essay in the video, haha, just writing at length :wink:
What is your favourite Enya song actually? 🎵 I don't recall you saying much about ones you like most. Even In The Shadows?
Where is the writing? The description accompanying the video is basically empty, perhaps that is also being blocked for me. If that's the case, perhaps someone will be kind and share it? :whistle:

I've never been able to decide on one fave song overall, but EITS is prob my fave on DSI. Though I like the low notes on the title track, too.

Is that a potato?
Yes it is 😅
The song kind of talks about how the apple was instead a potato.

Eithne was kind of Clannad's potato - not all that lively, but the most versatile musician they had. 🥔🌟:D

Where is the writing? The description accompanying the video is basically empty, perhaps that is also being blocked for me. If that's the case, perhaps someone will be kind and share it? :whistle:
Not literally writing on the video upload, haha. Anyway, this is the video description, nothing that interesting, haha.
I've never been able to decide on one fave song overall, but EITS is prob my fave on DSI. Though I like the low notes on the title track, too.
Nice 😊🎶

How about spaghetti? 🍝
(Spaghetti western 🤠🌵)

This one is the original (for The Celts, in the late 80s)

:)

And this bonus version on Amarantine (also Enya's highest sung note, A5)

:D🎶

This one 🥹❤️🎶

Music video filmed at Magheragallon, Enya's childhood beach 🏖️💖

Lyrically, On Your Shore beautifully describes how it feels to be a 20 or 30-something who feels almost elderly, cherishing one's childhood even though it wasn't even that long ago 😶‍🌫️
Strange how my heart beats
To find myself upon your shore
Strange how I still feel
My loss of comfort gone before

Cool waves wash over
And drift away with dreams of youth
So time is stolen
I cannot hold you long enough

And so this is where I should be now
Days and nights falling by
Days and nights falling by me
I know of a dream I should be holding
Days and nights falling by
Days and nights falling by me

Soft blue horizons
Reach far into my childhood days
As you are rising
To bring me my forgotten ways

Strange how I falter
To find I'm standing in deep water
Strange how my heart beats
To find I'm standing on your shore

The alternative video 🏞️💭

The 'your' in the lyrics could be anyone, or anything once admired. In Enya's case, it was kind of about her grandparents, who were buried in the cemetery near the beach (now her father and brother are too :( )

I would also interpret On Your Shore to be about childhood memories. 🥰

Eithne was kind of Clannad's potato - not all that lively, but the most versatile musician they had. 🥔🌟:D

Not literally writing on the video upload, haha. Anyway, this is the video description, nothing that interesting, haha.
She was about as interesting as a potato on stage during her last performances with Clannad, lol. #JustSayin

(But, how was she the most versatile musician? The others played multiple instruments too.)

Thanks for the screenshot, but yeah, not exactly an essay...

She was about as interesting as a potato on stage during her last performances with Clannad, lol. #JustSayin

That's a bit mean 😅 but not exactly a lie either to most viewers 🙈
(But, how was she the most versatile musician? The others played multiple instruments too.)
True, they all did, and the brothers also arranged some of the music.
However, Enya had the vocal range, the multiple instruments, the extra knowledge from her music at boarding school (unless the others went to boarding school, I get the idea it was just Eithne who went out of the sisters.) 🤔
Importantly Eithne was the most open to expanding the music, experimenting with the new synthesisers, and was receptive to what Nicky Ryan was suggesting by progressing the traditional folk music into the vibrant 1980s. 🎹🎨 Clannad wanted to stick with the Irish traditional music only, not the experimental 'world' sounds. Enya incorporates both, in a unique way. 💡🎶

... the extra knowledge from her music at boarding school (unless the others went to boarding school, I get the idea it was just Eithne who went out of the sisters.) 🤔
Moya went to boarding school, but I don't know about the other three.

If you don't already have it, you should get a copy of Moya's autobiography, "The Other Side of the Rainbow." The paperback has a little added material.

She does talk about Eithne at times, but beyond specific mentions, there's a lot of background information. For example, what their home life was like when they were children, etc.

Scroll down a little ways on this page, and you'll see a series of quotes from the book when Moya talks about Eithne: http://enya.sk/2012/06/quotes-about-enya-by-moya-brennan/

Moya went to boarding school, but I don't know about the other three.
Oh okay, I wasn't sure.
If you don't already have it, you should get a copy of Moya's autobiography, "The Other Side of the Rainbow." The paperback has a little added material.
I don't already, but it would be an interesting read :)

She does talk about Eithne at times, but beyond specific mentions, there's a lot of background information. For example, what their home life was like when they were children, etc.
Scroll down a little ways on this page, and you'll see a series of quotes from the book when Moya talks about Eithne: http://enya.sk/2012/06/quotes-about-enya-by-moya-brennan/
I did read those before, but thanks for the links, and I always liked this bit Moya described about Eithne :D :cool:📹

Enya was super sneaky here! Xmas 1990, filming the family from room to room, with her new video camera

💖

Evening Falls...
This song has been fascinating to me lately. Although it's based on a ghost story, the song embodies even more.

:enya: 💭

The song/stellar compilation album to glorify the dead,
Paint The Sky with Stars

I kind of think this as Enya's tribute song to Princess Diana, who died 26 years ago today 😔💭

However, Enya did add one of her pieces to the tribute album to Diana - Watermark

One of many great artists who did
s-l1600.jpg

🤗💭🕊🎶

Orinoco Flow (Sail Away) ought to be here; it remains a favourite by Enya 😊🗺💗

Also the instrumental River, which would actually be the best hold music :headphones:🏞📞🎼

:enya:

I can’t NOT mention this

Also the song tune that it's based on is this one, Miraculum 😊🪄
(Does it appear on any official CDs of And Winter Came? A bit sad if it were only for download at the time.)

The lyrics are in Latin (in the description of this channel's single video upload) :)

Enya also makes reference to what was (in 2008) the 20th anniversary of her album Watermark 🤗🎨🎼
'Vela dare, Miraculum' seems to translate to 'To sail away, a wonderful thing' ⛵💝

It sounds more Christmassy pitched up too :grin:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom