Raquel Welch DEAD

I can't say I've seen any of her movies, but she always seemed fun and very self aware. Also, pulling focus this shamelessly at your Son's wedding because you can't stand his new wife is quite the cunt move. :disco:

large-35205-raquel.jpg

[on her Myra Breckinridge co-star Mae West] I do think she was a spectacular talent. There's no question she was a comedic genius, but I did, in person, actually feel like she was some kind of a dockworker in drag.

:D

I don't know why, but I assumed she was a Brit.

Perhaps I'll treat myself to one of her lovely wigs in tribute.

• Care
Reactions: COB
The only Mae West film I've ever seen is her very last masterwork, Sextette, which is genuinely hypnotic in its awfulness.

This film looks like a right load of old shit. Was Mae West always such an appalling actress? Does @jivafox have an answer to these important questions? I might have to watch it over the weekend :disco:

It's better than Sextette (1978). West refused to share the screen with her and tried to ban Welch from wearing white, black and red in their scenes together. Needless to say, it did not stop Welch. The thriving, jiving Genevieve Waite has a small blink and you miss her (she winks) cameo. The director was a horrid misogynist and the whole movie could well be quite problematic in general now that I think about it, but his other film that I have seen, Joanna (1968), is an absolute hoot.

I once got chatting to a gentleman in one of London’s more glamorous homosexual nitespots who started looking mournful and said WISH I’D BEEN BORN MAE WEST, LUV. Well, I thought, this is going well :disco:

Her name was everywhere when I was a kid in the eighties. Thirty years or so later and I did have to look her up to remind myself of why the name was so familiar.

I got worried Miss Piggy was being TERFy here, but on further inspection the 'W-O-M-A-N' is in reference to the song they duetted on. Thank goodness.

On Youtube in full!

The gym scene from around 46.30 is really quite something as well!

I shouldn’t be watching this at this hour of the day as I have better things to be doing but goodness what a stunning actress Miss West was. Investing heart-rending emotion and relaxed realism into every line. As well as a PEZ container (:D:D:D), this comes to mind :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom