Revolution in Belarus

VoR

Take it or leave it
Anyone else fascinated by this? I was sceptical that any meaningful change would actually come of it, but it really seems big, and the signs are that even Putin is going to hang Lukashenko out to dry for fear of Russia going down with the ship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zu
Sorry to make everything about Eurovision, but it's such a fascinatingly WEIRD country, as best exemplified by this TV performance.

Context: This highly nationalistic bit of tat won their clearly rigged national selection back in '11. The shots of the crowd ROLLING THEIR EYES while the TV host rictus grins (loaded pistol pointed at his head clearly just out of shot) kills me every time. :D

USSR TIME! :disco:

Yeah I've been monitoring it, good old fashioned peoples movement, spearheaded by women none the less. Hopefully Lukashenko doesn't just try one more push to quell it with violence and killings.

If Lukaskenko does go, I’ll be interested to see how quickly Russia intervenes to ensure Belarus continues to look eastwards.

There’s no way the Russians will stand for a leader who’ll loosen the ties that bind. The last thing they want is the EU or Nato poking their noses in. They’ll no doubt be hoping someone from the current regime will step up.

I know the opposition leader was forced to flee to Lithuania but the flautist one left behind is quite iconic.

On Channel 4 news tonight she explained that Belarus can't become Switzerland overnight, and countered suggestions that she was a member of the city elite by confirming that she, like all Belarusians, knows how to plant and grow potatoes.

It is a bit rude how Belarus couldn’t wait to give Lebanon/Beirut some more airtime in this busy year.

But yeah, I really hope the revolutionary win because I really hate the current red-green flag.

Joking aside, it’s a bit scary, I don’t see how this won’t go Russia’s way. If they’d choose to invade/annex, Europe won’t have any power to stop it (and with Trump in the US, not much else will).

It really looks like a carpet that those peasants hang on the walls. It’s time to enter the 21:st century.

Not gonna lie, I didn't even get past that absolute dime winking at the camera at 1:18.

UrTOiq2.gif

Hope you're okay Belarus xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom