Ridiculously behind the times The West Wing topic

OMG

I am here for an @RJN review, please do check in with your favourite moments and episodes

Don't read the thread as there's so much amazement to come!

• Love
Reactions: RJN
The first two seasons are definitely on another level... most people call out S1-3 but actually the first 2 for me have an ease to them that S3 doesn't, which was filmed and released during and post 9/11. It changed the show for the following 3 seasons which became very focused on international politics and terrorism... still very good but it loses some of the heart and humour of the original style.

The show shifts significantly in S6 and S7 when the focus is on the next election as Bartlet starts to wind down his second term. There's different opinions on it but I think it's fantastic and S7 has some of the show's best moments.

What S3-7 do benefit from are being filmed in HD... the show started just before the HD era and you can see the difference from S3 onwards.

There isn't a bad season. It slows down a bit in S4 and S5 but it's never bad. You're in for a treat.

Well so far, Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc and A Proportional Responce were the strongest. Post Hog, Ergo Hoc made me cry and A Propotional Reponse was SO TENSE, but so well written

Also I won't spoil it but just to say the finales of S1 and S2 are two of the best episodes of any TV show I've ever seen, and many people refer to the S2 finale as one of the best written episodes of television ever. It really is incredible. I'll say no more than that for now.

What S3-7 do benefit from are being filmed in HD... the show started just before the HD era and you can see the difference from S3 onwards.
I'm watching on HBO Max and it looks like its been made more HD, if that makes sense

Well so far, Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc and A Proportional Responce were the strongest. Post Hog, Ergo Hoc made me cry and A Propotional Reponse was SO TENSE, but so well written

The show has a lot of emotional moments. I remember watching with my flatmate and she cried many times. Which episode was that, is it the one where the boat is in trouble?

The show has a lot of emotional moments. I remember watching with my flatmate and she cried many times. Which episode was that, is it the one where the boat is in trouble?
spoiler I guess:

the president's personal doctor died when the plane he was in was shot down and he had a 10 day old daughter that him and the president had spoken about earlier in the episode :(

Oh and pay attention to the dialogue because Sorkin drops little tastes of things early on that you don't think are important but they lead to significant plot developments later. The West Wing absolutely excelled at being both a procedural, with themes and stories and guests for each episodes, and also as a drama serial, with long term storylines and character development. The payoffs later are amazing. Some stories take all 7 seasons to come to fruition.

I think I've seen the show 3 times all the way through now, and the first two seasons about 5 times. I actually watched the whole thing again earlier this year, so it'll be fresh in mind as you're watching it :disco:

• Love
I too have never watched this even though it’s been on my to-watch list. I hope to be able to do it in the near future.

I need an update @R Sleigh N

And I might sync watch the season 1 finale with you. I could do with watching that again.

I’ve made in through episode 9. It’s taking a while because I’m watching with my parents so I can’t watch every day. The last few have all been great. And I hate to say it, but it’s making me kind of patriotic...

I’d say my favorite characters are CJ and josh so far

Who is your least favourite main character so far?
(Although it’s probably the same as most people’s).

You might also be interested in the West Wing Weekly podcast which ran from 2016-2020.

I *think* it was relatively free of future spoilers, save for the fact that one of the hosts is a future cast member.

You might also be interested in the West Wing Weekly podcast which ran from 2016-2020.

I *think* it was relatively free of future spoilers, save for the fact that one of the hosts is a future cast member.

I’ve been listening to this!

Who is your least favourite main character so far?
(Although it’s probably the same as most people’s).
I’m not going to say Mandy because that’s boring. I guess of the leads, Toby interests me the least so far. But that could change

Toby was always my favourite because he’s the most complicated. It’s also a wonderfully performed role by a brilliant actor.

CJ is of course one of the greatest TV characters of all time, so there’s no shame in saying her.

In Excelsis Deo: really bleak episode... but I liked it a lot and the ending (military funeral with Christmas choir background) was beautiful. Toby and Mrs Landigham at funeral is such an image

Lord John Murbury: I have a good answer for least favorite character: Lord John Murbury. He was such an asshole to Leo and it was out of character for the President to put up with it

In Excelsis Deo was the standout for award wins in the first season and is generally regarded as a highlight. It never stood out for me as better than the rest but it’s still really very good. Yes it’s not its usual jovial self as it takes a more serious note but the writing is particularly good to be fair.

In Excelsis Deo was the standout for award wins in the first season and is generally regarded as a highlight. It never stood out for me as better than the rest but it’s still really very good. Yes it’s not its usual jovial self as it takes a more serious note but the writing is particularly good to be fair.
I wouldn't say it stood out as better to me, more as different. Just the ending really. I can see why it got awards though

@funky I'm about 5 episodes into season 2 now. The season 1 finale and opening 2 episodes of season 2 were great

I hated them all sitting around saying "God bless America"

@funky (or anyone else really). How do you feel about Lord John Marbury. I think he's so annoying and the worst character on the show, but I wonder if he plays differently to someone English

He’s kind of meant to be annoying right? He’s a pompous aristocrat, British government is full of them, but he does at least contribute to some good narratives around how fucked the world is. I quite like how the Americans react to him, like some bratty cousin who comes to visit now and again that you have to put up with

When you get to the last episode of S2 let me know in advance as I might sync watch with you

He repeatedly refers to the Queen as Her Royal Highness. Very annoying.

I’m six episodes in, and I hate to say this, but I expected more, or maybe a different kind of show. This is more feel good tv (with an excellent cast) but it’s not very exciting. I expected a lot of scheeming, betrayals and so on, so far there’s nothing of the sort, instead the characters all seem a bit too nice and lovely. Is it going to stay like this?

I’m six episodes in, and I hate to say this, but I expected more, or maybe a different kind of show. This is more feel good tv (with an excellent cast) but it’s not very exciting. I expected a lot of scheeming, betrayals and so on, so far there’s nothing of the sort, instead the characters all seem a bit too nice and lovely. Is it going to stay like this?
Yes, it's all one big liberal wankfest.

Only really worth it for Ms Channing's DISDAIN for EVERYONE who works there and Amy Gardner TERRORISING the INSUFFERABLY SMUG Josh.

You can tell this first season was filmed at a time when ”history ended” and all was going well (even if a war with Syria almost happened and the threat of a smallpox outbreak was mentioned).

Not sure I know Ms Channing is; is it Allison Janney? She’s the one I like the most.

No but really, this is like Disney compared to the machiavellian show I expected it to be. :(

No, it doesn’t turn into Game of Thrones. The President murders, at most, one person.

But please don’t give up before Season Two. If anything, feel free to skip to Episode 1.22

You can tell this first season was filmed at a time when ”history ended” and all was going well (even if a war with Syria almost happened and the threat of a smallpox outbreak was mentioned).

Not sure I know Ms Channing is; is it Allison Janney? She’s the one I like the most.

No but really, this is like Disney compared to the machiavellian show I expected it to be. :(

Stockard Channing aka Abbey Bartlett.

In fairness there's a bit more plotting in later series, even MURDER and KIDNAPPING :shock: but it's not a showy show, it's a preachy show.

Shows (and films) about politics and its peripheral didn't really become that until post-9/11.

There is a lot of 'politics' amongst the politics, but it's way more subtle than the likes of House of Cards, Succession etc. It's a love letter to liberal thinking, but there is still some of the best writing, storytelling and character development you'll ever see in TV in my opinion, even to this day.

Ironically, time has not been kind to the historically revered Seasons 1 and 2 - both filmed before HD, so they look incredibly dated, and both filmed before 9/11 and the Bush Adminstration - Season 3 takes on a much slicker, harder and moodier feel through to the final Season 7. At the time the audience didn't want it and slowly turned off season by season, but the latter seasons are so much more in tune with TV and culture today.

That said, the Sorkin wittiness and comic timing is at its best in the first 2 seasons, so worth sticking with.

It's also the best at long term story development, so there are seeds being sown in the first episodes that you don't know about yet, and the payoff by the second half of season 2 are incredible.

I still think the 2 best episodes of television ever made come from this show and both from its second season - "17 People" (2.18) and "Two Cathedrals" (2.22).

Halfway through Season 4. It's good but not as captivating as seasons 1-3 were

Stick with it, some great moments in Seasons 4 and 5, but the highs are less. There's 2 big storylines, one involving the first family which was seen as jumping the shark at the time but I watched it again recently and I think it was filmed brilliantly. The second is about an international peace process which has big ramifications on the key characters of the show and their roles in the administration.

Season 6 focuses on re-election strategy and Season 7 is the election. It's a slow build but Season 6 has some amazing episodes, and Season 7 might actually, in hindsight, be the best season of all!

Shows (and films) about politics and its peripheral didn't really become that until post-9/11.

There is a lot of 'politics' amongst the politics, but it's way more subtle than the likes of House of Cards, Succession etc. It's a love letter to liberal thinking, but there is still some of the best writing, storytelling and character development you'll ever see in TV in my opinion, even to this day.

Ironically, time has not been kind to the historically revered Seasons 1 and 2 - both filmed before HD, so they look incredibly dated, and both filmed before 9/11 and the Bush Adminstration - Season 3 takes on a much slicker, harder and moodier feel through to the final Season 7. At the time the audience didn't want it and slowly turned off season by season, but the latter seasons are so much more in tune with TV and culture today.

That said, the Sorkin wittiness and comic timing is at its best in the first 2 seasons, so worth sticking with.

It's also the best at long term story development, so there are seeds being sown in the first episodes that you don't know about yet, and the payoff by the second half of season 2 are incredible.

I still think the 2 best episodes of television ever made come from this show and both from its second season - "17 People" (2.18) and "Two Cathedrals" (2.22).

Where the 90’s really such innocent times? 🥹

I’ll try to stick with it for this season at least, I have nothing else old to watch on my list anyway as I have finished the entire (available) HBO and HBO Max back catalogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom