Scottish politics thread (including 2021 Holyrood elections, potential IndyRef2, and SNP leadership contest)

Saturday realistically. We'll get tons of seats on Friday but they can't do regional until all constituencies have reported, so we won't know if we have a majority until then.

However if somewhere like Eastwood, Jackson Carlaw's seat, goes SNP then that would indicate the SNP getting their majority.

3AH.gif

I voted by post a couple of weeks ago.

I don't have a Green candidate in my seat and my list vote was already a given - Green.

Having Sturgeon and Sarwar standing in my constituency seat was briefly a conundrum. I'm still unhappy with the SNP but it's increasingly obvious that Salmond's plan was not for a "supermajority" (WTF even is that?) but rather to harm the SNP's chances of an actual majority and then use this as a stick with which to beat Sturgeon and attempt to force her resignation (and, potentially, then replace her with the suspiciously silent J*anna Ch*rry - "health reasons", my arse). Therefore, the safest thing for me was to to vote for Sturgeon. I do find her sincere and she is the party's best defense against their roaster element so it wasn't a huge wrench but I did have to pause over it.

If Alba get just one seat, they are a going concern and we'll end up in a UKIP situation, where they are platformed well beyond their vote. If they get none, it's game over. I want the latter so, so much.

I voted by post a couple of weeks ago.

I don't have a Green candidate in my seat and my list vote was already a given - Green.

Having Sturgeon and Sarwar standing in my constituency seat was briefly a conundrum. I'm still unhappy with the SNP but it's increasingly obvious that Salmond's plan was not for a "supermajority" (WTF even is that?) but rather to harm the SNP's chances of an actual majority and then use this as a stick with which to beat Sturgeon and attempt to force her resignation (and, potentially, then replace her with the suspiciously silent J*anna Ch*rry - "health reasons", my arse). Therefore, the safest thing for me was to to vote for Sturgeon. I do find her sincere and she is the party's best defense against their roaster element so it wasn't a huge wrench but I did have to pause over it.

If Alba get just one seat, they are a going concern and we'll end up in a UKIP situation, where they are platformed well beyond their vote. If they get none, it's game over. I want the latter so, so much.
It is a shame that me and @COB will be a month late to vote in this seat as well.

I think Alba have been very useful already, getting a lot of the shite out of the SNP without Nicola having to make the decision herself and getting the backlash. If they get 0 seats, then that wing of the SNP should at the very least be silenced for a while. But even if they get 1 or 2, I think it just means that the J*C's of the party will go there and flounder, without ever getting the profile UKIP did. We already have enough parties vying for attention up here, and Alba's independence message isn't as far away from the SNP and Greens as UKIPs was from Cameron's Tories.

But even if they get 1 or 2, I think it just means that the J*C's of the party will go there and flounder, without ever getting the profile UKIP did. We already have enough parties vying for attention up here, and Alba's independence message isn't as far away from the SNP and Greens as UKIPs was from Cameron's Tories.

Yeah, this makes sense. I think Salmond has got a lot less out of the media than he expected and he'll certainly carry no actual "power" given how aligned the SNP and the Greens are on some core matters.

The queue was half way down the high street today. Hopefully it is the same everywhere and we have got a good turnout.

It is quite disappointing that we need to wait until the next few days to get the result though.

Oh that would be a great result, with a nice increase for the Greens (and none for Alba bye)

I’m concerned that Alba could cling on and get one seat, particularly if it’s Salmond’s. I am pretty certain that if he gets in then we could see some defections from the absolute worst roasters in the SNP (hi Joan McAlpine!) which not only would bolster the TERF contingent in Holyrood but damage the SNP’s majority as well.

We should be getting actual results pretty soon.

These are the seats to watch, most of the SNP targets declaring today.

Jackie Bailie (Dumbarton Incumbent) not sounding especially confident on the news atm.

• Wow
Reactions: COB
I won't be posting each one, just any that change hands from now on. I do have to do some work today.

SNP hold in Aberdeen Donside, but with a significant swing to the Tories.

I'm not doing this.

SNP hold in Aberdeen Donside, but with a significant swing to the Tories.

I'm not doing this.
Also, this was won in 2016 for the SNP but the MSP defected/was kicked out and sat as an independent. So it is a "gain" compared to the end of the parliament two days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom