Sunday has an epiphany in the back seat of your car

I don't really care for Venice. Obviously would be amazing if there but it doesn't excite me like the rest of Italy does.

Yeah, you have to do Venice if you're up that way, but I would say you can do it in a day if you want to. Although perhaps ideally an overnight, particularly if it's warm, because eating outside next to a canal is lovely. And I'd say Cannaregio is the area there where you'll find the locals eating.

I'm fairly sure Venice to Verona is about the same journey time as Bristol to London on the train. And you have Padua and Vicenza in between, just like you have Swindon and Reading here. All equally lovely :)

So far Ms Ron has planned out flight into Milan, a quick explore there, then a few days at Lake Garda as there is water parks and beaches for Ron Jr, then were going over to Verona or Venice, I’m not a fan of tourists traps but feel like Venice is a needs must?
I loved Venice. Getting off the train is the most amazing thing. And I went into it rolling my eyes.

It's seasonal I think - I went at the start of October. It got busy in the main square but wasn't too crazy.

Again, get out in the early morning if you can. It's nice to see people going about their business before the crowds set in. Also, cheap cheap aperol spritz.

20191006_075319.jpg

20191006_080140.jpg

Yeah, you have to do Venice if you're up that way, but I would say you can do it in a day if you want to. Although perhaps ideally an overnight, particularly if it's warm, because eating outside next to a canal is lovely. And I'd say Cannaregio is the area there where you'll find the locals eating.

I loved Venice. Getting off the train is the most amazing thing. And I went into it rolling my eyes.

It's seasonal I think - I went at the start of October. It got busy in the main square but wasn't too crazy.

Again, get out in the early morning if you can. It's nice to see people going about their business before the crowds set in. Also, cheap cheap aperol spritz.

View attachment 24465
View attachment 24466

Ok, sold. I do think we’ll just do a day/night there but yes, I guess it would be a shame not to while were near by.

Now to talk Ron Jr out of Pisa

Also taking that awful train from Naples to Pompeii and then spending the day there in the sun in July was VERY challenging.

Ok, sold. I do think we’ll just do a day/night there but yes, I guess it would be a shame not to while were near by.

Now to talk Ron Jr out of Pisa
I've been to Pisa twice. Both times it was on the train, walk to the Campo dei Miracoli, wander around a bit, roll my eyes at people taking photos of their friends holding up the Leaning Tower, walk back to the station, and head on elsewhere.

Lucca is very close and beautiful though. Stay there, and do Pisa as a day trip.

Also taking that awful train from Naples to Pompeii and then spending the day there in the sun in July was VERY challenging.
The Circumvesuviana (I think), which goes all through the slums of Naples and is full of beggars? Yes, it's lovely :D

So far Ms Ron has planned out flight into Milan, a quick explore there, then a few days at Lake Garda as there is water parks and beaches for Ron Jr, then were going over to Verona or Venice, I’m not a fan of tourists traps but feel like Venice is a needs must?
I didn't really like Verona. We went to Juliette's balcony because everyone said we had to, and it was jam packed with tourists trying to get photos of themselves on it, and then rubbing the breasts of the statue 🤦🏻‍♀️

We had a wander round but I wasn't impressed.

Venice was better, we did a gondala ride at an extortionate price, walked round the square where coffees were unbelievably expensive, walked several streets out of the centre and found a cheaper coffee shop.

Personally I find the lakes, mountains, scenery far better in Italy than the cities.

I've been to Pisa twice. Both times it was on the train, walk to the Campo dei Miracoli, wander around a bit, roll my eyes at people taking photos of their friends holding up the Leaning Tower, walk back to the station, and head on elsewhere.

Lucca is very close and beautiful though. Stay there, and do Pisa as a day trip.
:D we also judged people in Pisa who were holding it up.

I also judged my mum for going straight to the McDonald's for a coffee because "knew she liked McDonald's coffee and wasn't sure if she would like Italian" 🤦🏻‍♀️

Lucca is stunning.

Juliet's balcony is an absolute farce. But I found plenty else to love about Verona.

Hard disagree about Italian cities though. I think they are absolutely the best in any country I've ever visited. Even little anonymous towns have amazing squares, churches and places to eat.

Italy top five:

Favignana in Sicily
Lake Iseo
Florence
San Gimignano
Erice in Sicily

And Varenna as Honorable Mention. And Rome obviously.

Re: Verona, I did a weekend by myself when my friends were skiing. It was small but lovely enough. The Arena and the balcony were fine, but the best part was the viewpoint by the castle.

Oh and I love Naples. ❤️ Was expecting to prefer Sorrento but it was July 2020 just after lockdown, and all the Italians were holidaying on the Amalfi, so it felt like we had the cities without the crowds. Which is probably why I loved Florence so much.

I'm not a big fan of cities in general tho. I liked Florence. But Pisa and Verona I didn't like. Venice was nice but we went in the height of summer and it was far too busy.

I preferred Lake Garda, and Sorrento, Capri etc.

:D we also judged people in Pisa who were holding it up.

I also judged my mum for going straight to the McDonald's for a coffee because "knew she liked McDonald's coffee and wasn't sure if she would like Italian" 🤦🏻‍♀️

Lucca is stunning.
Oh that reminds me of a TOP TIP for Ag. There is a McDonalds in the Piazza della Rotunda, right in front of the Pantheon. If you're looking to save a few quid but want a shit the bed view, plan to eat/drink outside there for an hour or two. If you're sitting outside with your back to it looking at the square/Pantheon, unlike just about any of the other multiple cafes and restaurants around the square, you can't actually see it.

Last edited:
Omg but if you can do Puglia in summer do it. Quite run down in some parts, but if you get a rental car there are so many beautiful little beaches and coves to have to yourself.

We didn't bother with Pisa. We chose Siena instead, which was very nice.

In San Gimignano we got a two/three hour guided walk around the surrounding countryside and vineyards by a local and it was just the two of us. I think it was about ten euro and was so lovely.

Siena is gorgeous. Again I can remember the exact location of the restaurant and the meal, despite it being over ten years ago.

We did San Gimignano as day trip from Florence, I think. Small group though - not as intimate as yours.

But @big ron - I think your plan for the north sounds lovely. There are so many spots littered around the lakes and mountains and I'm sure plenty of kid friendly activities. And you've got Milan, Bergamo, Verona, Padua, Venice in a short distance for cities. And Pavia is also there, which is small but lovely.

Especially if you want to do it by train - it's all well connected.

Actually I have been to Puglia - but only to Bari, where we got the ferry to Corfu.

I thought Bari was a shithole to be honest - but then judging a city (never mind a region) by its port would be foolish.

Actually I have been to Puglia - but only to Bari, where we got the ferry to Corfu.

I thought Bari was a shithole to be honest - but then judging a city (never mind a region) by its port would be foolish.
We started in Bari and yes, it seemed a bit rough. We were expecting it to be similar to Sicily.

We stayed in Gallipoli which was nice, but the rural parts of Puglia were the nicer experiences. We did the white stone villages too - hairy drives but pretty.

Lecce was a nice enough town (city?) - definitely nicer than Bari. But it was a short visit.

Never been to Sicily. I've been to Sardinia, basing ourselves in Olbia whiich is pretty anonymous as far as Italian towns go, but the island is staggeringly beautiful (and expensive) around the Costa Smerelda.

And I've been to Capri which undoubtedly is beautiful, but feels like a theme park for rich tourists. Don't think I'd want to stay there.

We did Sicily. And we arrived the day after there was the shootings on the beach in Tunisia. And we totally freaked out and therefore didn't massively enjoy our time there.

I did enjoy the Godfather tour and learning all about the mafia tho.

But the beach near where we stayed wasn't very nice.

Not Italy related, but Slovenia may be one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited. And I don't really know anyone that's been.

Not Italy related, but Slovenia may be one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited. And I don't really know anyone that's been.
I went through it, when it was Yugoslavia. That's it.

But @big ron - I think your plan for the north sounds lovely. There are so many spots littered around the lakes and mountains and I'm sure plenty of kid friendly activities. And you've got Milan, Bergamo, Verona, Padua, Venice in a short distance for cities. And Pavia is also there, which is small but lovely.

Especially if you want to do it by train - it's all well connected.

Yeah its tricky trying to mix culture with family holiday but he will be 12 and so is open to a bit more culture and sightseeing now. Plus he fucking loves food so its going to be really exciting just eating our way around the places we end up.

I want to get us down to Puglia and Sicily as well, i can see this being 3 weeks at this rate.

I went through it, when it was Yugoslavia. That's it.
Honestly it's stunning. We chose it because we wanted to do Croatia but it was too expensive, and there was a really good deal for Slovenia.

Admittedly it may not be for everyone, it's very much about walking, hiking, mountains, rivers, lakes etc. We only went to one city.

Morning

Spending time with the mother today and I’ve booked tomorrow off work (needed). I expect we will argue within 5 minutes as per but fingers crossed all will be well! There is a roast dinner in it for me so I’ll try not to complain!

We did argue but there wasn’t a roast dinner.

:(

Honestly it's stunning. We chose it because we wanted to do Croatia but it was too expensive, and there was a really good deal for Slovenia.

Admittedly it may not be for everyone, it's very much about walking, hiking, mountains, rivers, lakes etc. We only went to one city.
Ljubljana is beautiful, like a disney fairytale town in the centre. Did Bled as a day trip and loved walking around and swimming in the lake so beautiful.

Only an Italy note Lake Maggiore is a must. The Borromean islands are amazing especially Isola Bella which is just insane

Ljubljana is beautiful, like a disney fairytale town in the centre. Did Bled as a day trip and loved walking around and swimming in the lake so beautiful.

Only an Italy note Lake Maggiore is a must. The Borromean islands are amazing especially Isola Bella which is just insane
We loved Ljubljana! And found a restaurant that sold horse meat..not that we tried it.
We stayed next to Lake Bled. It was lovely. Ah someone else who had been!

Morning hope one all good canny belive complex. Life get times like me break yoooo 😳🥹🤔😂😂

Ligers kool

Venice on my bucket list wubs go ther Amsterdam this spring watch out wufyyys on way 😳😂🤔👍🏿👊🏼🙏🏿

Tigers rurrrrrr ock
Fact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom